HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 5:18 AM

I continue to be a skeptic regarding the tax difference. Household budgets are fixed. If households spend less on taxes, they have more disposable income available, most of which--given our supply-constrained housing market--goes straight to higher housing costs. Average rent in Vancouver is higher than average rent in Portland.

If OR and WA tax policies were brought into alignment, Vancouver housing costs would decrease relative to Portland. No one's saving money by moving across the river.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakz View Post
I continue to be a skeptic regarding the tax difference. Household budgets are fixed. If households spend less on taxes, they have more disposable income available, most of which--given our supply-constrained housing market--goes straight to higher housing costs. Average rent in Vancouver is higher than average rent in Portland.

If OR and WA tax policies were brought into alignment, Vancouver housing costs would decrease relative to Portland. No one's saving money by moving across the river.
That assumes supply side is equal, which I'm assuming it's not. Portland builds far less housing than other cities, so the narrative goes. I would go as far to say the entire theory is people pay more sales tax in WA and that the states get the money one way or the other, so its a wash. But with tax free shopping an easy drive over the border, and the very high top income rate Oregon, it's pretty easy to come out ahead in WA with people of middle to high income. And then, if WA tax is regressive, the tax advantage must go to higher income people there....otherwise no taxes anywhere could be considered progressive or regressive if it simply works out in the end, that is literally the definition.

A quick Redfin search has 316 homes for sale in clark county the meet newly built (2023+) moderate high income ($400k+), 2k sf, 3 BR, etc. The 3 counties in OR have 473 homes. Clark county has 20% of the metro population but 40% of new home construction (assuming sold/for sale are similar rates). That tells me Clark is WAY better at building new homes for this income bracket, and likely keeps the prices moderated.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:38 AM

Interesting article in the Mercury:

https://www.portlandmercury.com/news...-old-buildings

But this really gave me the rages:

Quote:
“I was kind of shocked to see that I think there are [so many] states that have already figured this out,” Commissioner Dan Ryan said at the meeting. “Adoption of the [rehabilitation] tax credit would really be a big win for Portland and for the entire state.”
WTactualF Commissioner Ryan? Pray tell the fuck do you do all day???

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
Interesting article in the Mercury:

https://www.portlandmercury.com/news...-old-buildings

But this really gave me the rages:

WTactualF Commissioner Ryan? Pray tell the fuck do you do all day???

How does PCEF decide grants? Is it based on some metric, like carbon footprint per square foot (including construction inputs, which gives existing buildings a leg up)? If preservation really is a net carbon benefit, then it will compete well and get more money to help offset rehab costs? If it doesn't compete enough to offset and make rehab financially competitive, then it does sound like this might just be a money grab to get funds from a source it was never it to be used for.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion