HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 11:46 PM

Where Is Riverdale?

Okay, where is this damn fictional city located? Where do Jughead and co. reside? My guess is New Jersey near the ocean, and apologies ahead if this has been covered on here already. Also no. I never Googled it. How big is Riverdale anyways? What is it's walkability score, it's demographics, and how many supertalls (if any)?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Okay, where is this damn fictional city located? Where do Jughead and co. reside? My guess is New Jersey near the ocean, and apologies ahead if this has been covered on here already.
Hard hitting questions here, haha. Per Wikipedia:

Quote:
Riverdale is the setting of the stories in the Archie Comics universe. It is usually depicted as a medium-sized town (possibly a suburb of a bigger city), with all the usual amenities of shopping malls, restaurants, and parks. In the first Archie stories in the 1940s, it was identified as Riverdale, New York, a real town just north of the Bronx. In Jackpot Comics #5 (Spring 1942), a story written by Montana has the gang going on a river trip. One panel says "...the good ship 'Peter Stuyvesant' settles into the Hudson, as Riverdale High clambers aboard for a happy trip to Bear Mountain."

Later the geography became more vague, with the climate and appearance varying from story to story. Riverdale has been shown to have beaches, lakes, rivers, deserts, farmland, woodland, mountains, plains, a transit system (as noted in the Josie and the Pussycats film) and four distinct seasons with changes in climate.

Archie Comics publisher John L. Goldwater and initial Archie artist Bob Montana differed on the inspiration for Riverdale, with Goldwater saying it was based on his hometown of Hiawatha, Kansas, and Montana saying the town's high school was based on his own in Haverhill, Massachusetts, where as in the comics a replica of Auguste Rodin's famous statue The Thinker stands.[1]

In one issue[volume & issue needed] of Archie and Jughead Digest, when one of the readers asked in a letter, "Where is Riverdale located?", the editor replied, "Riverdale is more of a state of mind than an actual physical location. It could be anywhere that kind people live and just have fun, like Archie and his friends. It could be in the Midwest, or along the Eastern Seaboard, or even a town in Canada, Mexico, or England."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverdale_(Archie_Comics)

In addition to this, the TV show is filmed in Vancouver.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 1:38 AM

Always just assumed it was Riverdale in the Bronx... never really thought twice about it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:16 AM
Aimless Wanderer

I remember Riverdale being depicted mostly as smaller city that was nearby a much larger city called Central City. In my mind I always imagined it being somewhere in the Northeastern U.S along the coast.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:34 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I thought it was in the West Coast. Archie looked too posh to be out East.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:45 PM

Northern New Jersy, Far suburb of NYC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverdale,_New_Jersey

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 9:51 PM
BANNED

River:
"A large natural stream of water emptying into an ocean, lake, or other body of water and usually fed along its course by converging tributaries".

Dale:
"a valley, especially a broad valley"

So any establishment alongside a river bed in a broad valley?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 8:59 AM

And where is Springfield where the Simpson's live?

No, not Illinois. Homer's Springfield has mountains and nuclear cooling towers not far from town.

I think of Riverdale as a town on a medium sized or large river, maybe the Ohio or Hudson or Connecticut or Delaware. Definitely northeastern or midwestern town--NOT the west. They do get cold weather there since they have heavy clothes in winter. Not deep south. Confession--I always liked Veronica more than Betty.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 14, 2018 at 9:10 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 12:24 PM

I always thought Riverdale was like coastal Orange County or something in the 50's. Haven't looked at the comics in decades, but weren't they always going to the beach and playing volleyball/water polo? And weren't there always mountains in the background?

Riverdale was probably chosen because it sounds generic/anywhere, or maybe because authors had some connection to Riverdale in Bronx (which wouldn't remotely resemble the comics, but would be very likely to have people in publishing; it's an upscale, Jewish longstanding establishment neighborhood that kinda has that NW DC look of estates and apartment buildings on a hilly, wooded landscape).

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 5:23 PM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ That's what I'm saying. Riverdale in the Archie comics seems similar to the place where the Scooby Doo Mystery Gang and Dr. Scrooge McDuck and his nephews lived, which reminds me of either some old Victorian area in Sacramento or somewhere in Northern California or a similar place down in Socal. I barely got the feeling that these cartoon characters were East Coast unless they are from parts of the East Coast I never been to.

As for the Simpsons, Springfield is probably in Colorado or Kansas. It's literally middle America.

And what about Gotham and Metropolis in DC comics? Or even Bikini Bottom?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 5:53 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Springfield is modeled on Portland(Oregon) the creators’ hometown.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
^^^ That's what I'm saying. Riverdale in the Archie comics seems similar to the place where the Scooby Doo Mystery Gang and Dr. Scrooge McDuck and his nephews lived, which reminds me of either some old Victorian area in Sacramento or somewhere in Northern California or a similar place down in Socal. I barely got the feeling that these cartoon characters were East Coast unless they are from parts of the East Coast I never been to.
Riverdale has 4 distinct seasons..Also, the fact that the big fellow was nicknamed "Moose" leads me to believe that they live more north..That's just a hunch though..

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 2:56 AM

in the river?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Gotham has to be NYC..It could be Chicago though.It's modelled after an American city that was a large metropolis when that comic was created..

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 6:25 PM

My understanding was that Gotham was a fictional city sort of between Chicago and New York. That was the impression I got for the Christopher Nolan Batman movies at least.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 11:13 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Gotham is supposed to be located in southern New Jersey, while Metropolis is located across the Delaware Bay from it in Delaware.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 1:36 AM
BANNED

Riverdale is a section of the Bronx. It has some gorgeous old houses in the Fieldstone section.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 1:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Gotham is supposed to be located in southern New Jersey, while Metropolis is located across the Delaware Bay from it in Delaware.
This is the real answer, but thematically it's always New York.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:02 AM
devout Pizzatarian

There's a riverdale on the far southside of chicago.

But I don't think it's the one from Archie.

It's like 80% public housing projects.

And a giant sewage treatment plant.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:04 AM
BANNED

Gotham was always N.Y. for me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions