HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 3:49 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

224 Preston St | 23m | 6f | Proposed

224 on Preston Inc. is proposing a development that includes the construction of a six (6) storey mid-rise, mixed-use building at 224 Preston Street with two (2) commercial units on the ground floor and a total of 30 residential units; 19 bachelor units, six (6) one-bedroom units, three (3) two-bedroom units and two (2) three-bedroom units. A total of 149 square metres of amenity space is provided via private balconies, communal terraces and outdoor patio space. As permitted by the Zoning By-law, 4 residential parking spaces are provided below-grade, and thirty (30) stacked bicycle storage spaces provided indoors and three (3) within the exterior side yard.

Architect: Ottawa Carleton Construction

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...3-0060/details

Plan:

Renderings:

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 4:01 PM

I love seeing these 'missing middle' projects for Little Italy! Right now you have all these huge towers going up right next to a sea of mostly dilapidated old single homes. This is a great trend.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I love seeing these 'missing middle' projects for Little Italy! Right now you have all these huge towers going up right next to a sea of mostly dilapidated old single homes. This is a great trend.
For sure. Nicely scaled projects for Preston. I get tired of some of the massive boring blocks on Bank and Richmond.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 4:31 PM

I wonder which we will get? The better-quality renderings appear to have the top two floors stepped in on the north side, and, perhaps, the back. There is also some variation of the side wall-plane, back to the mechanical penthouse. The last three images show only a small step-back at the front (which looks too shallow for a decent balcony), and no variations of the wall planes.

I suspect that the last three images are simply block-on-block to illustrate massing, but they could lead to a building that is much more boring than the better renderings suggests.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 4:43 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
I wonder which we will get? The better-quality renderings appear to have the top two floors stepped in on the north side, and, perhaps, the back. There is also some variation of the side wall-plane, back to the mechanical penthouse. The last three images show only a small step-back at the front (which looks too shallow for a decent balcony), and no variations of the wall planes.

I suspect that the last three images are simply block-on-block to illustrate massing, but they could lead to a building that is much more boring than the better renderings suggests.
Good observation. The Architectural Plans document (with floorplans) suggests we're getting the boring version. Perhaps the more pleasing renderings are meant to seduce Councillors and residents who don't dig any deeper than that. Maybe good fodder for a comment submission.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 2:52 PM

Some of those units on the 2nd and 3rd floors are pretty terrible. If this and home ownership being unaffordable is what the future looks like for many in Ottawa, I weep for those who have to rent.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:27 PM

Lovely little piece of infill. Works great with some of the more low-rise buildings in the area.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavour_town View Post
Some of those units on the 2nd and 3rd floors are pretty terrible. If this and home ownership being unaffordable is what the future looks like for many in Ottawa, I weep for those who have to rent.
Add insult to injury, unit 501 doesn't even get a toilet, and by the looks of it, in units 204 and 404, it's completely left up to the tenant to install bathroom fixtures.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 9:16 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Updated Proposal (February 2024)

- Underground parking eliminated
- Altered floorplan
- Less boring blank wall treatment

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 7:00 PM

This should have started by now, it's exactly what is needed in the area.
Why does everything have to take so long?!?!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa