HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 9:25 PM

[Dartmouth] Dartmouth Shopping Centre | ? M | ? FL | Demolition

There is demolition fencing going up around Dartmouth Shopping Centre between Shopper's Drug Mart and No Frills.

There are plans known for a large mixed-use development on the site. We don't have specifics other than it will be multiple buildings of up to 40-storeys and is being developed by Cresco.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
There is demolition fencing going up around Dartmouth Shopping Centre between Shopper's Drug Mart and No Frills.

There are plans known for a large mixed-use development on the site. We don't have specifics other than it will be multiple buildings of up to 40-storeys and is being developed by Cresco.
That view coming across the MacDonald from Halifax is going to be insane in 5 years!

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
That view coming across the MacDonald from Halifax is going to be insane in 5 years!
Dartmouth could soon become HRM's "La Defense" where development flocks to that region where zoning isn't so restrictive.

What I really see at the best-case scenario for the future is that these "future growth nodes" could become areas of sufficiently elevated density that they map usefully to a potential connection by a light-rail system in the medium term future. The powers that be should be looking into this now and trying to plan for things like assembling property rights along corridors so that such a system could be efficiently designed and implemented in a decade or so from now.

I've been thinking a lot about this topic of late and intend to use what knowledge I have as an armchair urbanist and structural engineer by trade to produce a nice conceptual map / prospectus for such a system, if members here would be interested in such a thing!

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:26 PM

I took a few photos this afternoon:

Domino's has a sign up indicating they are permanently closed; Subway is closed but no signage.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archaficionado View Post
dartmouth could soon become hrm's "la defense" where development flocks to that region where zoning isn't so restrictive.

What i really see at the best-case scenario for the future is that these "future growth nodes" could become areas of sufficiently elevated density that they map usefully to a potential connection by a light-rail system in the medium term future. The powers that be should be looking into this now and trying to plan for things like assembling property rights along corridors so that such a system could be efficiently designed and implemented in a decade or so from now.

I've been thinking a lot about this topic of late and intend to use what knowledge i have as an armchair urbanist and structural engineer by trade to produce a nice conceptual map / prospectus for such a system, if members here would be interested in such a thing!
yes!

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:50 PM
Volatile Pacivist

No frills isn't indicating any sign of closure. I find it hard to imagine they could operate BAU with such a huge project underway. Makes me wonder of the fencing is for some other purpose like part of the property is just being renovated or something.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 8:39 PM

Is there any literature stating 40 stories? This is the first I'm hearing about a major development in this area.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverley902 View Post
Is there any literature stating 40 stories? This is the first I'm hearing about a major development in this area.
HAF, which just passed, zones these properties 40 storys with a FAR of 10. Seems likely any redevelopment especially by a major group like Cresco would seek to maximize ROI

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:27 PM

There was an article this week in AllNovaScotia. It's paywalled and they do watch this forum closely so we can't post it here. Cresco does say in it they want to build to the new zoning limits which is 40 storeys.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:27 PM

Absolutely. Something that is hopefully on the JRTA's radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAficionado View Post
Dartmouth could soon become HRM's "La Defense" where development flocks to that region where zoning isn't so restrictive.

What I really see at the best-case scenario for the future is that these "future growth nodes" could become areas of sufficiently elevated density that they map usefully to a potential connection by a light-rail system in the medium term future. The powers that be should be looking into this now and trying to plan for things like assembling property rights along corridors so that such a system could be efficiently designed and implemented in a decade or so from now.

I've been thinking a lot about this topic of late and intend to use what knowledge I have as an armchair urbanist and structural engineer by trade to produce a nice conceptual map / prospectus for such a system, if members here would be interested in such a thing!

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 1:15 AM

Having seen no renderings and having heard only that access to the new residential units will be via Green Rd I am having trouble visualizing how the existing DSC lot that had served the mall section that is being demolished will be repurposed. Perhaps a parking structure for the residential?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 1:59 AM
I_Like_Cranes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
No frills isn't indicating any sign of closure. I find it hard to imagine they could operate BAU with such a huge project underway. Makes me wonder of the fencing is for some other purpose like part of the property is just being renovated or something.
No Frills and shoppers/dollar store are not included in the demo.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 3:12 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeCranes View Post
No Frills and shoppers/dollar store are not included in the demo.
I wasn't suggesting that they were. Just questioning the feasibility of having all the activity involved in such a huge project happening right there while a store continues to operate. Highrises tend to require a huge hole to be dug, endless trucks delivering materials, noise, dust, the whole works. Not to mention the space requirement in an already fairly congested parking lot.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I wasn't suggesting that they were. Just questioning the feasibility of having all the activity involved in such a huge project happening right there while a store continues to operate. Highrises tend to require a huge hole to be dug, endless trucks delivering materials, noise, dust, the whole works. Not to mention the space requirement in an already fairly congested parking lot.
That No Frills is a very important part of the eco system for the neighbourhood.If it were to close the Sobeys up the road would own that local market and they charge enough for everything anyway. Folks that are economically stressed will walk through dust and noise to Eat.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:51 AM

Wouldn't be the first time that construction happened near operating businesses - there are protocols for that. Also, it would seem reasonable for much of the construction access to happen from the Green Rd. side.

For me, it will be a little sad to see the remains of the Dartmouth Shopping Centre go, but all things must change. Life goes on.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth