HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Beatrice in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 9:52 PM
Time/Space

Smile NEW YORK | Eventi (839 Sixth Avenue) | 614 FT / 187 M | 53 FLOORS | T/O

Hotel and condo tower to rise at 839 Sixth Avenue

14-MAY-07

J. D. Carlisle Development Corporation is erecting a 44-story mixed-use tower at 839 Avenue of the Americas between 29th and 30th Streets.

The project will have a 250-room hotel operated by the Fitzpatrick Hotel Group and 320 residential condominium apartments.

Perkins Eastman is the architectural firm for the development.

The hotel will occupy the first 8 floors and long-term-stay units will occupy floors 9 through 13. The residential condominiums will occupy floors 16 through 44.

The project is seeking a special permit for an underground garage and the local community board recommended approval March 8, 2007 and the Borough President recommended approval April 5, 2007. It is also seeking permission for a plaza with an open air cafe and the community board issued a favorable recommendation February 8, 2007.

A rendering of the building indicates that the hotel portion of the project will be clad in a bronze-colored glass and the condo section of the tower will be clad in a clear glass. The tower will be distinguished by two vertical "fins" in the middle of its north and south faces.

The site was formerly occupied by a parking garage and two-story store buildings.

Perkins Eastman's other recent projects include the Cielo tower on the southwest corner of 83rd Street at York Avenue, and the Centria at 14 West 48th Street, both for J. D. Carlisle, and the Jade at 16 West 19th Street.

The project is expected to be completed in 2009.

Copyright © 1994-2007 CITY REALTY.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 11:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jularc View Post

The 6th Ave towers continue to march northward...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 12:37 AM
low-riding

This doesn't quite do it for me like the new one being built a few blocks south. It looks like this one is going through some sort of identity crisis

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 3:06 PM
Time/Space

I am so happy about this development because it replaces a eyesore of a two story parking garage that was at the site. The parking garage has been demolished already and there is excavation going on there right now. This one will be under construction in no time.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 3:08 PM
Time/Space

Here is the site...

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 3:46 PM

The parking lot has already been torn-down. I like this building! Should fit in nicely with the other recent Sixth Avenue residentials. Looks like it should be ~ 500ft. About the height of the Stratus down the street.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 4:21 PM

That is a pretty big parcel.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 10:58 PM
New Yorker for life

It says the hotel will occupy the first 8 floors. It looks like more than that in the rendering. The 6th ave view is probably better.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 12:42 AM
Time/Space

I also want to mention that a new 37-story tower will be built right on the next block north of this tower. No renderings yet. But according to this article construction should start by the end of this year aswell. I guess they mean demolition of the current buildings. Yet the 6th avenue new towers canyon keeps on happening...

$105M Loan Clears Way for 37-Story MXD

March 30, 2007

NEW YORK CITY-Tessler Developments and the Chetrit Group have purchased 855 Sixth Ave. with the help of $105.3-million loan from Fremont Investment & Loan. The property located on Sixth Avenue between 30th and 31st streets contains a couple of buildings that will be razed to make way for a 37-story mixed-use project.

Craig Lockard, VP and senior loan originator for Fremont tells GlobeSt.com that the loan covered a majority of the acquisition price for the property, but he could not reveal what percent or the total cost.

Plans for the property are currently being drawn up, with an architect now working on the drawings. Lockard tells GlobeSt.com that the new building will total 500,000 sf and will contain a base level of retail followed by 11 floors of office space and topped by 23 floors of residential units. Further details have yet to be solidified.

Lockard says construction should start by the end of this year, with the demolition of the existing buildings. As part of the deal, Lockard says Tessler and the Chetrit Group negotiated lease terminations with the existing tenants.

“The project will really invigorate the area,” Lockard says. He cites the full office market in Midtown south and the growth of residential in the area as the two key factors that will aide the success of the project. Retailers have not yet been identified but Lockard says the space is likely to be filled with a high-end tenant and not a grocer or pharmacy.

Fremont has financed six other Tessler projects including the luxury condo project at 240 Park Ave. South.

As GlobeSt.com reported, the locally based Chetrit Group recently purchased the 250-room historic Berkeley Carteret Oceanfront Hotel and Conference Center in Asbury Park, NJ for $16 million.

Copyright © 2007 ALM Properties, Inc.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 12:49 AM
New Yorker for life

^ I noticed those empty storefronts...

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 5:05 AM
low-riding

Should this be moved to constructions yet?

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 8:53 PM

Looks like they are still doing demolition of the old parking structure along with excavation of the new building foundation. When they start pouring concrete for the new bldg, then , it should be moved to construction. Given the speed at which they are moving that will happen very soon. Sixth Ave! I hardly recognize it anymore!

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 12:39 AM
low-riding

this section of 6th ave has changed dramatically

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 1:41 AM

Seems like this one should be moved to "Highrise Construction"... I'm excited for this project, will fit into the neighborhood nicely.

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 1:58 AM
Time/Space

Hey Scruffy, thanks for the pics!

Also did you happen to peak where the Remy is suppose to go? Any activity at the site?

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 4:29 AM
low-riding

I did peek at the remy. since it doesn't have its own threads and i didn't have enough coverage to make another thread its posted under the chelsea stratus thread

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 6:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
I did peek at the remy. since it doesn't have its own threads and i didn't have enough coverage to make another thread its posted under the chelsea stratus thread
I remember seeing a thread for that one...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 3:58 AM

The foundation seems to be making progress on this one... so when does this one officially become designated as "under construction" on this website?

June 20th:

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 11:45 AM
New Yorker for life

This one needs to be in the construction forum as well...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 4:24 PM
Dubai goes Crazy

wow, almost 190m. not bad

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive