HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 10:35 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Evergreen Line | u/c

For previous discussions regarding the Evergreen Line LRT as well as the Evergreen Line SkyTrain Announcement, please see archived thread.

Quote:

What is the Evergreen Line Project?
The Evergreen Line is a new rapid transit line that connects Coquitlam Town Centre to Vancouver via Port Moody and Burnaby, starting at Lougheed Town Centre Station in Burnaby and ending near Douglas College in Coquitlam.

The Evergreen Line will be a fast, frequent and convenient SkyTrain service, connecting Coquitlam Town Centre through Port Moody to Lougheed Town Centre in approximately 13 minutes. The Evergreen Line will seamlessly connect to the current SkyTrain network, including the Expo, Millennium and Canada Lines, and will integrate with regional bus and West Coast Express networks.

The Evergreen Line is an essential element of The Provincial Transit Plan and the federal Building Canada Plan.

Route Alignment
The Evergreen Line will run north from Lougheed Town Centre on an elevated track along North and Clarke Roads, before entering a tunnel in the vicinity of Como Lake Avenue and emerging near Barnet Highway north of Clarke Road in Port Moody. Through Port Moody, the route will travel at-grade on the south side of the Canadian Pacific (CP) Rail lines before transitioning to the north side near the Port Moody/Coquitlam boundary. The Evergreen Line will continue next to the CP Rail lines to the West Coast Express Station in Coquitlam and will then run on an elevated track along Pinetree Way, ending near Douglas College in Coquitlam.

Stations
The Evergreen Line will have six primary stations: Lougheed, Burquitlam, Port Moody/West Coast Express, Ioco, Coquitlam/West Coast Express and Coquitlam City Hall/Douglas College.

These stations will drive system ridership growth by serving major destinations, connecting existing population and employment centers, and integrating with the existing transit network.

These station locations will promote use by ensuring the line is fast, convenient and competitive with other travel choices.

Up to two additional station locations along the Evergreen Line may be considered based on their ability to shape land use, stimulate increased system ridership through transit oriented development, and be affordable.

Project Goals

Provide fast, frequent and convenient rapid transit from Coquitlam to Vancouver
via Port Moody and Burnaby
  • Provide rapid transit for the communities of Burnaby, Vancouver, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, Anmore and Belcarra

Improve the transportation network throughout Metro Vancouver
  • Integrate travel modes and provide connectivity to the wider transit network
  • Seamlessly connect with the current SkyTrain network

Increase transportation choice
  • Support a reduction in auto use by providing an alternative to single occupancy vehicles
  • Increase transit mode share
  • Increase transit capacity in the Northeast sector
  • Ensure speed and reliability of the system
  • Support growth management

Support municipal growth management targets established by the region’s Livable Region Strategic Plan
  • Contribute to community building by stimulating future concentrated and mixed-use development
  • Support existing development and provide support for a positive business environment

Support environmental sustainability initiatives
  • Support provincial environmental goals by reducing regional car trips
  • Meet regional and local environmental objectives to preserve green space
  • Encourage pedestrian traffic along corridor
Source: Evergreen Line Website, Ministry of Transportation

Quote:
PROJECT OFFICE OPENING LAUNCHES EVERGREEN LINE
COQUITLAM – Construction of the Evergreen Line is taking a major step forward with the opening of the Evergreen Line Project Office, announced Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Kevin Falcon, federal Canadian Heritage and Official Languages Minister James Moore and TransLink CEO
Tom Prendergast today.

“The Evergreen Line will vastly improve transit options for people in Metro Vancouver’s northeast quadrant,” said Falcon. “It will also be a big boost to the region’s economy, providing over 8,000 direct and indirect jobs.”

“The Evergreen Sky Train extension will improve the quality of life of Tri-City residents by creating more transportation choices, cutting traffic, and by reducing pollution,” said Moore. “Our government is proud to be a partner in this project.”

Using SkyTrain technology, the 11-kilometre Evergreen Line will link neighbourhoods in Burnaby, Port Moody and Coquitlam and be fully integrated into the existing system, connecting directly onto the Millennium Line at Lougheed Station.

“Not only is the Tri-Cities area growing, we know that it’s the destination for a third of the commuters that today drive across the Port Mann Bridge from the South of Fraser,” said Prendergast.

“The Evergreen Line, linking to a new RapidBus service from Highway 1 at the Lougheed Station, has huge potential to attract substantial numbers of people from cars to rapid transit.”

The Evergreen Line will provide fast and frequent service to downtown Vancouver – improving the transit network throughout Metro Vancouver and facilitating economic growth and regional job creation. The Project Office will advance the Evergreen Line Project through design and construction
and will provide the public with the opportunity to learn more about the project, meet with staff, and give feedback and input as design and construction proceeds. Construction of the Evergreen Line is scheduled to begin in late 2010 and be completed in late 2014.

The Evergreen Line is jointly funded by the Government of Canada (up to $416.7 million), the Government of British Columbia ($410 million) and TransLink ($400 million). Approximately $350 million of the federal contribution is from the Building Canada Fund. The $1.4-billion project is a key component of the Provincial Transit Plan.
Source: The Government of British Columbia - http://evergreenline.gov.bc.ca/docum...l_Feb28_09.pdf

Video Articles
Global TV BC: http://canwest.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m...Object=3738868

Station Designs
Information Yet To Be Available

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 11:33 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Anyone going to the office to take pictures? It's probably the same information there though -___-

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 3:13 PM

The archived thread referenced in the first post is a dead link - can that be fixed please?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 2:00 AM

Here's an image of the Project office

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 2:17 AM

thats a nice waste of money

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 2:33 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
LOL! You have to admit it does look nice =P Ummmm MacWrite, photo source... ahem

LookedIn, do you see it now? It wasn't a broken link to me but it might be for everyone else because you guys aren't supposed to see "deleted" topics. I undeleted it now but kept it locked up.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
LOL! You have to admit it does look nice =P Ummmm MacWrite, photo source... ahem

LookedIn, do you see it now? It wasn't a broken link to me but it might be for everyone else because you guys aren't supposed to see "deleted" topics. I undeleted it now but kept it locked up.
I don't follow why do you need the photo source?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 2:52 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
I don't follow why do you need the photo source?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/anno...hp?f=166&a=356
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/anno...hp?f=166&a=313

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
The thread is coming up fine for me now. Thanks deasine.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Well.. at least it will used for 6 years...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 6:27 AM

Quoting from the archived thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster
I don't understand why cameron is not a planned station, there is plenty of low rise walk-up denisty on the coquitlam side and of course Shilouette right at Cameron Rd and N road. There are also a few underused strip malls right around the area that could easily be zoned for higher density residential, commercial or retail. It is rather close to Lougheed station, but in order to truly entice commuters it is sensible as anything north of Cameron is quite a walk to Lougheed.
Sorry I know some of you have already mentioned about Cameron Station in the other thread but...I need to say something.

Cameron Station has to be built, have any of those souls planning for this line walked up or down North Road? Nobody walks there, cuz that steep hill is almost a hike from Lougheed Station. It's so steep we almost need an escalator running the entire length...(that's right that might be a good proposal for North Road!!). Plus, there's going to be a major supermarket chain and lots of people moving into the high-rise there. Whoever took that station out has gotta think about it again.

It's also relatively near to the Cameron Rec Centre if you walk down Cameron Road, ahem.

Cameron station will be like how Patterson is with Metrotown and how Gilmore is with Brentwood (or even how Olympic Village station is with City Hall station, even athletes don't have to walk up Cambie to get to City Hall station, come on!).

Anyone want to help me formalize this to get this sent to Translink? Or is there someone reading this. Or anyone want to start a community action team or some petition to get Cameron Station back?

I feel cheated that they put a dozen stations up initially now they only plan to build 6-8 stations. And as a side note, no school along the Evergreen Line is no longer within walking distance to any station. They've already left out easy access for the 3 schools, Port Moody town centre (hospital, city hall, rec centres, condos, senior's facilities) on Guildford Way by going down Barnet. Now even Port Moody Secondary (bus riders/drivers will know how many school kids use the B-Line stop now), and the condos dwellers on North Road and Guildford are left out.

Sigh

Last edited by arashi_1987; Mar 3, 2009 at 7:09 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 7:05 AM

I agree 100% This station and the one near Coquitlam Center are the extra two that should be added to the planned 6 stations, there is no need for a third station in Port Moody.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I agree 100% This station and the one near Coquitlam Center are the extra two that should be added to the planned 6 stations, there is no need for a third station in Port Moody.
I hope they seriously consult people about this. If I don't see any consultations at the rec centres or in the malls soon I am heading out to that new shack in Coquitlam (oops I meant office).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 3:29 PM
formerly tin²ium

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashi_1987 View Post
They've already left out easy access for the 3 schools, Port Moody town centre (hospital, city hall, rec centres, condos, senior's facilities) on Guildford Way by going down Barnet.
Three guesses on who you can blame for that one. At grade, near the tracks, was a request from Port Moody.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 2:35 AM
with glowing hearts

Odd....couldn't they just have rented office space?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 3:43 AM

Looks nice - it would make a nice picnic shelter at a park after it's used here.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 4:07 AM
BANNED

There is an election soon.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 5:49 PM
Registered Loser

i agree that guilford would be better (i went to all three schools on that block!) but i also think it should go right by the mall... it's a tough balance. what's the point of having the last little part raised? i actually feel the whole things should be raised for practicality... but at grade does fit into port moody a lot better.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 6:04 PM

Yeah, I remember that Guildford Way was designed with a median for SkyTrain columns - but I think there may have been an issue with the curviness of teh route - not sure if that was operational or for station placement. There was also a question of proximity of schools to potential station sites (i.e. the "criminal" element). A Guildford route would have to turn south at Pintetree Way to hit the WCE Station (and made further northward expansion difficult - my guess is that the line will eventually expand towards Burke Mountain and Pitt Meadows will have a separate branch (like with the LRT plans) - although I don't know if a switch is being installed for a Pitt Meadows Branch.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 1:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yeah, I remember that Guildford Way was designed with a median for SkyTrain columns - but I think there may have been an issue with the curviness of teh route - not sure if that was operational or for station placement. There was also a question of proximity of schools to potential station sites (i.e. the "criminal" element). A Guildford route would have to turn south at Pintetree Way to hit the WCE Station (and made further northward expansion difficult - my guess is that the line will eventually expand towards Burke Mountain and Pitt Meadows will have a separate branch (like with the LRT plans) - although I don't know if a switch is being installed for a Pitt Meadows Branch.
I think it's possible actually. Station placement... there would've been probably one future station (between Eagleridge and Falcon) but there's lots of room there anyway. With our current alignment, we are forced to only expand the SkyTrain northwards (in the future) vs, Guildford Alignment, we would have more options of extending it south and/or east.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure