HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
In general I like the look of the project, but think the rust is a poor choice for a war memorial. When I think of rust, I think of neglect and disrepair. Of something forgotten.
To me this is the exact reason why I think the rusted look is a good choice for the memorial... For most people, the major wars that this project is memorializing are either a distant memory or something they read about in school... The way we look at the most of our veterans, who have now reached an age where they are elderly and frail, matches the way we look at a run down building or a rusted out boat... we can recognize that at one time, this was something important, something of significance but it is something from before our time, something that no longer impacts our lives in a meaningful way... Gleaming marble or shiney metal may glorify our military past, but these rusted objects with words of such importance etched into them perfectly sums up how the majority of Calgarians identify with the wars of our past. Lest we forget....

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues