HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
That looks like a lot of expropriations though. A hell of a lot.

In a lot of cases it's lopping off some of the front yard, but there's quite a few places where buildings will need to go, or it's the entire of a yard that is gone. Even if they can just take someone's yard and it is feasible to build a sidewalk immediately adjacent to peoples windows, what are the owners' right here? How much compensation will they get? Even if this is a financially feasible plan, is it politically feasible to expropriate that much?

The plan accord1999 posted shows vast lengths where houses are going to need to go. What are they going to do with all that demolished wasteland?

The only precedent I can think of in Calgary is the 16th Ave widening, but that was taking off an entire strip of properties, effectively moving the road boundary one unit south. Since the Green Line plan takes a sliver off each side, we're going to be left with a huge amount of empty lots. And this line is supposed to revitalize the area? Look how 16th turned out, utter dross years later.
16th Avenue is a great example of a planning disaster. What did spending $110+ million achieve other than adding more traffic lights? That stretch of road is less visually appealing than it was before which shows you how bad this projects was.

As for expropriating properties for the north leg of the Green Line, how much have they budgeted for this? I could see this aspect of the project easily costing $200 million which I'd rather go toward building a tunnel.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure