HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 12:36 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

It looks like a pretty massive development. Is there any retail going in?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
It looks like a pretty massive development. Is there any retail going in?
They won’t be any shops in Roxborough massive Development project and it’s all residential

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 6:15 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I lived on Reid from about '71 to around '82. Other than some homes being torn down and replaced on Reid and on Beland, it doesn't look all that much different than I remembered it. The 3V Dry Cleaners looks to be abandoned now and is rough shape.
It has looked like that ever since I moved into this area in 2002. I wouldn't be surprised if its still operating in some capacity, its just a terrible looking building that they don't take care of. I hope someday it gets demolished or repurposed into a mixed use with a corner store on the bottom floor. I live in Oriole and having to walk up to 7 Eleven all the time when I want to get to a corner store kinda sucks. The Cannon bus route is supposed to be made into a much more busy route when HSR re-envision happens so hopefully that'll kickstart something along with this re-development.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 9:14 PM

Ah, Oriole Crescent... I ride past there (very quickly) on my way home.

I lived on Reid right across from Glengrove. Back in the day, I would cut through the Martha townhomes to get to school (St. Helen's) when I could - and try to avoid the dangers of Oriole. But really, the whole area was pretty sketchy - not just Oriole. Everything there looks safer now than when I was a kid - although that might not be saying much.

My go-to store was Pete's Variety on Queenston Rd. It's funny how perspective changes as you get older. St. Helen's and Pete's Variety (on either side of my house) now looks ridiculously close to my old house - whereas back then it felt like a greater distance. I never realized how good I had it.

Sorry for the walk down nostalgia lane.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 5:33 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Ah, Oriole Crescent... I ride past there (very quickly) on my way home.

I lived on Reid right across from Glengrove. Back in the day, I would cut through the Martha townhomes to get to school (St. Helen's) when I could - and try to avoid the dangers of Oriole. But really, the whole area was pretty sketchy - not just Oriole. Everything there looks safer now than when I was a kid - although that might not be saying much.

My go-to store was Pete's Variety on Queenston Rd. It's funny how perspective changes as you get older. St. Helen's and Pete's Variety (on either side of my house) now looks ridiculously close to my old house - whereas back then it felt like a greater distance. I never realized how good I had it.

Sorry for the walk down nostalgia lane.
Hah yeah, 1 Oriole where I am isn't too bad, mostly people who have been here for a long time. 2 Oriole and 44 Martha seem to be where the trouble always happens and we get kinda stuck in the middle when the kids from each side are warring with each other. Not as bad a neighborhood as it used to be, the urban farm is really nice to walk through on the way to/from Melvin. It'll be interesting to see how the neighborhood changes as this development is completed, I've already noticed a lot more traffic on Oriole and Glengrove from people driving up there and a lot more fire/EMS calls to the Roxanne building.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:56 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I forgot to post my last update on this, from September....but I don't think it was any better than this, which I took yesterday before going to the baseball field below:
H20R by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr

EDIT: Here, I actually didn't notice the cranes in this shot until just now. (This image below was taken last Labour Day)
September 4th to 6th by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton