HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Skyline shot from Rice-Eccles on Saturday:

First Image, Salt Lake City Skyline in 2038.

Fantasy skyline, but not unrealistic quantities or heights. 15 years of growth. This shows 1/4th the growth that downtown Austin has experienced in the last 15 years. This image only shows 14 additional towers over 20 stories. Downtown Austin has seen 56 towers over 20 stories in the last 15 years.

EDIT: Added in an additional image that is even MORE fantasy... perhaps if SLC was a Canadian or Australian city... Tower heights comparable to Melbourne, Brisbane, Edmonton, Calgary, etc.

Last edited by Transit4Utah; Sep 26, 2023 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 6:12 PM
Space Magi

We definitely need some towers to break that 500 ft ceiling because that looks awesome!

EDIT: here's a couple more pictures from Saturday. The first is at the Utes game showing the University of Utah campus. You can see the "Gardner Commons" behind the library and how prominent an iconic building would have been from there. The second is from the Trolley TRAX station showing the impact of the new towers from 400 S.

Last edited by Atlas; Sep 26, 2023 at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 9:25 PM
Ironweed

[QUOTE Great shot Atlas! This particular angle is one of the more complimentary I've seen in a while. With the new additions, especially in this pic 111, Astra, and 95 South State added into the mix it's really starting to look like a substantial skyline. If they keep up the pace with mid-rise infill, a few new tallest into the mix plus some added height on the south end between 4th and 6th SLC will begin to look like a skyline worthy of its CSA population.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Very nice photo. The skyline from this vantage point kinda looks like a slight rounded dome instead of a pyramid. The COB acts like a snaggle tooth. It just doesn't fit.

Skyline keeps improving though.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 9:26 PM

Add just one or two tall and sharp skyscrapers and SLC's skyline goes from dud to stud.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 10:36 PM
They all float down here

It does feel like Salt Lake is waiting for that next push where the skyline becomes almost unrecognizable.

Something similar to Austin:

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 1:49 PM

I agree with Transit4Utah, that first visionary mockup is very doable for Salt Lake. I just hope that SLC adheres to more of Transit4Utah's design mix and doesn't allow the same type of design and crowding mix that has resulted in the outcome seen in that 2017 Austin photo. That is what happens when you crowd too many Libery Sky-type apartment towers together of those window and balcony patterns. You seriously end up with a hot mess. To be fair, Austin's opposite side, from the river, has some very attractive angles. There are some visually stunning, from a design perspective towers in the mix from Austin's riverside that really create an attractive skyline.

I think that SLC's Western and Eastern views will both end up being very attractive. Especially the views from the West with the spectacular Wasatch Mtns. as a backdrop. The cleaning up IMO will probably need to happen from the north, The Ensign Peak or Capitol steps view has always been a bit cringe-worthy to me from a skyline perspective. Add a few new tallest, also The LDS Church adding an attractive mid-rise or 200-plus footer residential immediately opposite and across North Temple from the COB. Also, some continued added height to the West, on West Temple, 2nd, and 3rd West and their East/West cross streets could make a big difference.

Here's another advantage that Salt Lake's big blocks and wide streets help to create, a potentially visually attractively spaced skyline. That's one of the reasons why it wouldn't take much to create a large, visually stunning skyline. When you think of the linear footage from North Temple to say 7th South that's quite an expanse when compared to the typical city skyline taking up the same number of blocks. Of course, as we continually discuss it's always about what Salt Lake does with its streetscape and mid-blocks that matters most. So far I think Salt Lake is on the right track as far as attractively activating its CBD streetscape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit4Utah View Post

First Image, Salt Lake City Skyline in 2038.

Fantasy skyline, but not unrealistic quantities or heights. 15 years of growth. This shows 1/4th the growth that downtown Austin has experienced in the last 15 years. This image only shows 14 additional towers over 20 stories. Downtown Austin has seen 56 towers over 20 stories in the last 15 years.

EDIT: Added in an additional image that is even MORE fantasy... perhaps if SLC was a Canadian or Australian city... Tower heights comparable to Melbourne, Brisbane, Edmonton, Calgary, etc.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 2:14 PM

Woodbury moves forward with 1,200 units in South Salt Lake’s new ‘Downtown’

Zeke Peters Reporting @ https://buildingsaltlake.com/woodbur...-new-downtown/

Also posted on the SLC MSA Thread: As South Salt Lake seeks new growth in its downtown core,
a new project is expected to bring 1,245 new housing units to a transit development area.

https://buildingsaltlake.com/woodbur...-new-downtown/

Last edited by delts145; Sep 30, 2023 at 11:57 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 3:38 PM

Construction has begun by Hines Global Real Estate to transform the old University Club Tower at 136 East South Temple into luxury apartments. The 24-Story Tower will be stripped to the core and be repurposed.

I imagine the buildings in the above fantasy future skyline would be primarily residential, WHICH IS WHY The Rio Grand Plan is so important for future circulation and traffic alleviation in downtown and the region.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 3:57 PM

Good to see Hines is moving forward with at least that project right now. Any articles or renderings?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 8:08 PM

There's signage all over the Office Max on 4th South and 900 East saying the store is closing. Maybe we'll see that residential project begin?

Also, it appears work has begun on the apartment building on 300 South where that abandoned dry cleaner used to be. It'll be good to bring some housing back to that block since the Greek church bulldozed so much in order to have a big parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
There's signage all over the Office Max on 4th South and 900 East saying the store is closing. Maybe we'll see that residential project begin?

Also, it appears work has begun on the apartment building on 300 South where that abandoned dry cleaner used to be. It'll be good to bring some housing back to that block since the Greek church bulldozed so much in order to have a big parking lot.
Other new projects I've seen movement on around town:

The NW corner of 700 E and 500 S has a fence around it. The Big Daddy's pizza has been demolished, and I'm guessing they're getting close to demolishing the office building right on the corner.

500 S between 300 E and 400 E. The jewelry store there has been demolished and cleared. I heard the project will now include the parcel to the East, so they should be demolishing that building as well.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 10:04 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I agree with Transit4Utah, that first visionary mockup is very doable for Salt Lake. I just hope that SLC adheres to more of Transit4Utah's design mix and doesn't allow the same type of design and crowding mix that has resulted in the outcome seen in that 2017 Austin photo. That is what happens when you crowd too many Libery Sky-type apartment towers together of those window and balcony patterns. You seriously end up with a hot mess. To be fair, Austin's opposite side, from the river, has some very attractive angles. There are some visually stunning, from a design perspective towers in the mix from Austin's riverside that really create an attractive skyline.

That 2017 skyline is 1000x better than Salt Lake's - so, even if it were to happen exactly that way, it would be such a dramatically positive improvement that I wouldn't have any issue with it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 11:00 PM
Space Magi

So here's where we are at with new towers in 2023:

Under Construction:
  • Astra Tower - 40 stories - 450 ft (topping out this week)
  • Worthington/Convexity Tower - 31 stories - 335 ft (topping out soon)
  • West Quarter Block C - 16 stories - 185 ft (demo)
Active Proposals:
  • 390 S West Temple - 28 stories - 295? ft (significantly delayed)
  • Sixth South Residential Highrise - 34 stories - 380 ft (delayed?)
  • 150 S Main - 36 stories - 395 ft (significantly delayed)
Prospective:
  • Sundial Tower - 23 stories - 344 ft (possibly redesigned)
  • West Quarter Block D - 2x ? stories - 380+ ft (will happen eventually)
  • The Cascade - ? (base built, on hold)
  • 100S 200E Residential Tower - ? (rumored)
  • Dakota Pacific Tower - ? (rumor)
  • Future Kensington Investment Company properties - taller than Astra? (rumor)

Did I miss anything?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
So here's where we are at with new towers in 2023:

Under Construction:
  • Astra Tower - 40 stories - 450 ft (topping out this week)
  • Worthington/Convexity Tower - 31 stories - 335 ft (topping out soon)
  • West Quarter Block C - 16 stories - 185 ft (demo)
Active Proposals:
  • 390 S West Temple - 28 stories - 295? ft (significantly delayed)
  • Sixth South Residential Highrise - 34 stories - 380 ft (delayed?)
  • 150 S Main - 36 stories - 395 ft (significantly delayed)
Prospective:
  • Sundial Tower - 23 stories - 344 ft (possibly redesigned)
  • West Quarter Block D - 2x ? stories - 380+ ft (will happen eventually)
  • The Cascade - ? (base built, on hold)
  • 100S 200E Residential Tower - ? (rumored)
  • Dakota Pacific Tower - ? (rumor)
  • Future Kensington Investment Company properties - taller than Astra? (rumor)

Did I miss anything?
IHC hospital tower?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 3:04 AM

I know I'm an odd one out, but I actually like the University Club Tower.

If the tower is literally going to be "stripped to the core" I think that's a real bummer... We lost the original copper exterior of the Zions Bank building now this.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 3:22 AM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
IHC hospital tower?
Ah yes, true. Not sure how tall that's going to be but it's probably safe to assume 200+ ft.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 6:36 PM

What Salt Lake City's mayoral candidates
have to say about Great Salt Lake's future

Quote:
Question: With the many city priorities you will face as mayor, where do you rank the Great Salt Lake on a scale of 1 to 10 — and why?

Mendenhall: "Six (with 10 being the highest). The Great Salt Lake sits just after homelessness, affordable housing and air quality, which is not to say the lake isn't important, but rather, as mayor, it's my responsibility to weigh priorities on a scale of importance and ability to impact.

"Saving the Great Salt Lake is an existential environmental issue for Salt Lake City — no doubt about it — but the scope of the challenge involves so much beyond the city's control that even with the landmark steps the city has taken the last two years, it being my top priority could not move the needle any further."

Valentine: "At an 11. I have said I think the two most important issues facing us right now that need immediate attention (are) ending homelessness and housing everyone, and saving the Great Salt Lake.

"I am extremely concerned with the health of the lake and all of Utah and we have such little time to drastically act. It's alarming when scientists say that Utah may be unlivable if the lake fails with toxic dust clouds that lay at the bottom of the lake. We have no choice but to save the lake and act now."

Anderson: "The threatened Great Salt Lake ranks as a top priority. That would be a 1 if that's 'top priority' or 10 if that's 'top priority.'

"The complete desiccation of the Great Salt Lake would be devastating to (Salt Lake City) residents and businesses because metals, including antimony, copper, zirconium, and arsenic, from the dry lake bed will blow into the city, resulting in heightened risks of severe respiratory illnesses, heart disease, lung disease, and cancers. The cascading effects would undermine, and perhaps entirely destroy, our neighborhoods, economic vitality and overall quality of life.

"The dust could lead to degradation of soil and speed snow melt, shortening winter sports seasons and reducing water supply later in the year. It would severely damage valuable wetlands, eliminate brine flies (vital in the ecosystem), devastate the conditions upon which brine shrimp ... can exist, and threaten millions of migratory birds."

Question: What do you want residents, under your watch, to do to help save the lake?

Anderson: "We each have a responsibility to live sustainably and protect the environment. ... The city has a responsibility to support conservation by educating and setting an example. Sprinklers running full blast on Washington Square during rainstorms will not happen when I'm mayor. Our government officials need to walk the talk.

"To achieve necessary changes for saving the (lake), we must recognize that even if every household permanently stopped watering lawns, that would not be a major factor in saving the (Great Salt Lake). While alfalfa (and hay) farming represents only 0.2% of the Utah economy, it uses 68% of available water.

"The most critical action that residents can take is to effectively push their elected officials and other policymakers at every level of government to take necessary measures immediately to sufficiently reduce the diversion of water for agricultural purposes."

Mendenhall: "Being smarter and more judicious in our water use is, day-in-day-out, the best thing residents can do to help save the Great Salt Lake. This means looking at your landscaping, not over-watering, fixing faulty plumbing, considering water-wise appliances and fixtures in your house.

"And our residents must be a vocal part of our constant advocacy to our elected leaders in the state Legislature and Congress. Our city accounts for a fraction of water that can make its way to the lake, and we need statewide solutions to avoid its demise.

Valentine: "It's important they get involved and stay informed, that they write their leaders and demand immediate actions, that they vote with the lake in mind, and support lawsuits from environmental groups. If they own houses and yards, they (should) convert to xeriscaping and sustainable water usage."

Question: How would the depletion of the Great Salt Lake affect the future of your city?

Mendenhall: "There wouldn't be a Salt Lake City without the Great Salt Lake. Losing the lake would have an enormous impact on our livable environment, public health, population stability, economy, tourism and more.

"Our people would suffer not only the physical impacts of the toxicity rendered on our air quality, but they would undoubtedly struggle with mental health impacts — from losing trust in our leaders who let this happen, to fearing for the well-being of their loved ones, to the stress of having to decide that they can no longer stay and thrive in this place they love."

Valentine: "The better question is, how wouldn't it affect the city? Scientists have repeatedly said that the lake collapsing would make large portions of Utah unlivable, with arsenic dust clouds and toxic storms. The vast majority of Utahns live along the Wasatch Front right next to the lake.

"Our capital city is right next to the lake in a valley that already sees some of the worst air quality in the world. We are staring down at the very near possibility of nightmare scenarios that are hard to even comprehend with climate change and the impacts that will have. We must act, we must avert disaster and unite all of us together to avoid environmental collapse."

Anderson: "The depletion of the Great Salt Lake would severely undermine the quality of life in Salt Lake City. Residents will leave to avoid the high risk of poisoning, adverse health effects, and continued declines in property values.

"Salt Lake City) will not be able to attract, and will lose, businesses. Regional recreation and economic drivers, like winter sports, will wither, because of early snow melts. Our city will be irrevocably altered, much like what is anticipated with the ongoing desiccation of Lake Urmia in Iran."

More Q&A here from the source:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50738004...t-lakes-future

Last edited by Old&New; Sep 28, 2023 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 6:38 PM

Double post

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 1:03 AM

I like most of the 'ugly' towers and buildings downtown. At least I think it is good to have them for the sake of density, preservation, environment etc. I think 100+ years from now people will appreciate preservation and reuse of university club tower and the public safety building.

I could see myself having a save the Pantages moment if the key bank tower was ever slated for demolition - something abt that building is cool to me idk. I think the main problem buildings are those truly wretched old hotels that dot the perimeter of the convention center...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 2:01 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
I like most of the 'ugly' towers and buildings downtown. At least I think it is good to have them for the sake of density, preservation, environment etc. I think 100+ years from now people will appreciate preservation and reuse of university club tower and the public safety building.

I could see myself having a save the Pantages moment if the key bank tower was ever slated for demolition - something abt that building is cool to me idk. I think the main problem buildings are those truly wretched old hotels that dot the perimeter of the convention center...
I've never had issue with the University Club Tower. I hope any renovation they do keeps the character of the original tower.

100 years from now, tho, I am guessing both that and the Public Safeties Building will be long gone lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West