HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 7:20 PM

I believe it's waiting on the Port to proceed with funding.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 8:33 PM

We might be waiting a long time then. The Port Authority is a complete gong show right now.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
We might be waiting a long time then. The Port Authority is a complete gong show right now.
How did this happen?

I feel like not too long ago that Vancouver Port was rated among the best run port operations in North America. I even remember reading articles about how Seattle had to get its act together so not to lose too much business to Vancouver.

Now I saw them rated as the worst run port in North America.

Why does it always feel that over a few short years Canada has fallen over a cliff compared to its peers?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
How did this happen?

I feel like not too long ago that Vancouver Port was rated among the best run port operations in North America. I even remember reading articles about how Seattle had to get its act together so not to lose too much business to Vancouver.

Now I saw them rated as the worst run port in North America.

Why does it always feel that over a few short years Canada has fallen over a cliff compared to its peers?
Again, not a topic for this thread, (there is a Port thread) but they are not 'the worst run port', they were one of the least efficient container ports in 2021 and 2022.

The measurement was simply how long container ships had to wait to unload.

It was said to be a combination of screwed up container logistics and more ships wanting to use the port than there was space for them to unload. Neither factor is anything that Vancouver Port is directly responsible for (as the container terminals are privately operated), although the recently completed revamp and expansion of Centerm, and the expansion of Roberts Bank, if it goes ahead, should resolve the capacity problem.

If they've been concentrating on sorting their port operations out, it might explain why an overpass isn't getting the same attention right now. (That's speculation on my part, I don't know why the work seems to have slipped it's timeline).

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 6:09 AM

They were very reliable in delivery of similar overpass and grade separation projects for the last 15 years, but this last batch really seems to have ended that trend.

I know the underpass in Pitt Meadows hit a snag with the city, regarding their portion of funds, so that’s kind of different.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
They were very reliable in delivery of similar overpass and grade separation projects for the last 15 years, but this last batch really seems to have ended that trend.

I know the underpass in Pitt Meadows hit a snag with the city, regarding their portion of funds, so that’s kind of different.
I think that had more to do with a massive cost increase following a redesign to comply with an updated code/building standard.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 7:23 PM

wasnt there another issue with missing funding for the prior/venables underpass as well?

seems to be 0/3 at the moment.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
wasnt there another issue with missing funding for the prior/venables underpass as well?

seems to be 0/3 at the moment.
No - CN decided not to fund their contribution, or to dual-track the section of rail through Strathcona (at least for now). Cost estimates for that project were $125m in 2019 - so no doubt more today.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 9:24 PM

They're 0 for a lot recently.

The previous CEO stepped down and my understanding is it's been a disaster internally ever since.

I wouldn't expect much outside of project cancelations from the port for the next few years.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 9:39 PM

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
They have to shut off the Raymur crossing by this fall as well.
I don't think the Port are involved, it's purely a City project to meet Transport Canada safety requirements.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 6:14 AM

Quote:

The previous CEO stepped down and my understanding is it's been a disaster internally ever since.

I wouldn't expect much outside of project cancelations from the port for the next few years.
too bad. its such a vital port for both BC, Canada, & North America, that it should be properly run. shame.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 6:29 AM

Quote:

It's a bit strange, because the previous CEO announced he was leaving last June, and consultants were hired to help replace him, and it was nearly six months before the new hire was announced as the previous vice president, operations and supply chain for the port authority. He is the former chair of Canada Place Corporation too. There's also a new chair of the port authority board, who used to be CFO at TransLink, who joined the board in 2017, so it's not someone new with no knowledge of the port's operations.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
They have to shut off the Raymur crossing by this fall as well.
“This will help to reduce the noise from the rail bell warning system…”

Sure, other than the remaining rail bell warning system located a half block away where the line crosses E. Cordova.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
“This will help to reduce the noise from the rail bell warning system…”

Sure, other than the remaining rail bell warning system located a half block away where the line crosses E. Cordova.
well, now theres only 1 bell. that means the dinging will probably be like 30 seconds shorter!

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 3:33 AM

The Lower Lynn thread is locked but some analysis on what it did with traffic. I think it achieved everything that they wanted with the limited scope of the project.

Quote:
Did the Lower Lynn Improvement Project improve North Van traffic?

It’s been more than two years since the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure’s $200-million Lower Lynn Improvement Project wrapped, ending a multi-year project to ease the North Shore’s notorious congestion.

But has the project helped improve traffic flows? The answer depends largely on where you’re driving and when, according to a 2023 before-and-after performance study, commissioned by the ministry and provided to the North Shore News.

The study used stats from 2018 and 2022, including data from smartphones, specially placed radars and the ministry’s own traffic counters to estimate travel times and speeds from Lynn Valley Road to the south end of the Ironworkers Memorial Second Narrows Crossing. To zero in on typical commute times, the study looked only at weekday travel, omitting stat holidays.

Traffic data shows a nuanced picture
The study found travel times and speeds and reliability of the highway improved significantly for commuters through the Lower Lynn Improvement Project area during the morning rush hour, regardless of which direction they’re travelling in. Drivers headed down The Cut moved 56 per cent faster between 7 and 8 a.m. in 2022, for an average of 82.5 kilometres per hour.

The infamous afternoon Cut traffic though did not show the same results. Between 3 and 4 p.m., average driver speeds fell by four per cent to 22.1 km/h, the study found. Between 4 and 5 p.m., there was an eight per cent improvement to an average of 24.1 km/h.

“The observations from the p.m. peak period suggests that overall, there are minimal changes in travel speed along this segment, however the best commuting days have increased moderately in speed for 2022,” the report states.

The report adds that the improvements in speed could possibly be attributed to the new Mountain Highway off-ramp, giving drivers headed for Keith Road a new, easier option.

Other metrics, however, showed the afternoon drive towards the Ironworkers had improved. In 2018, the average time it took to drive the length of the project corridor peaked at 12 minutes. In 2022, that had fallen 15 per cent to 10.2 minutes. And the highway was noted to take less time to “recover” back to normal traffic flows, effectively ending rush hour earlier than it would in 2018.

The number of collisions in the corridor also fell significantly in the two years examined in the study. Between January and October, 2018, there were 52 crashes. In that same time period in 2022, there were just 20. One of the goals of the project was to improve safety by

Was it worth it?
The report does attempt a high-level cost benefit analysis accounting for time saved during the weekday rush hours, thanks to the project, which was first conceived of and funded under the BC Liberals in 2014, with the District of North Vancouver and federal government sharing in the costs.

Collectively, the analysis estimates a daily cost savings of $24,000, based on time no longer spent in traffic, or $5.9 million per year, for the $200-million project.

Although the study’s authors warn that more data may be required to understand longer-term collision rates, the report finds about $6.5 million was saved in injury costs and property damage when factoring in the number of crashes that occurred per kilometre driven.

Because of the increases in efficiency, the report estimates carbon emissions from drivers’ vehicles through that stretch have been reduced by 10 per cent in the morning and five per cent in the afternoons.

The report did note that the average number of weekday drivers passing through the corridor was 120,000 in 2022 – still about 4.5 per cent lower than it was in 2018, a possible function of more North Shore employees working from home. During that time period, average volumes on weekends were up by two per cent.

Rapid transit is the answer, North Vancouver MLA says
North Vancouver-Lonsdale MLA Bowinn Ma acknowledged that some improvements had been made but she said, that may be cold comfort for drivers who still have a very frustrating experience in today’s traffic.

“Congestion is a very human experience and it’s very emotionally driven,” she said. “So, the data may show that people are getting to where they need to go faster and with more consistency, but it likely won’t feel that way when you’re actually behind the wheel.”

Ma said the biggest win from the project has been the decrease in collisions.

“Not only from a safety perspective, but also in the experience of drivers,” she said. “It creates an incredibly unpredictable environment for commuters.”

If the North Shore wants less car congestion, Ma said, a better strategy would be to find a way to house people who currently commute here via Highway 1.

“Because, whether or not people are living here, they are working here,” she said.

The Ironworkers Bridge still has decades of life left in it but Ma said planning work for its replacement has already begun within the ministry. That new bridge though should be seen primarily as a rapid transit link, not just a means to get more cars on and off the North Shore, she added.

“If we were to add additional car lanes onto a bridge across the Burrard Inlet, those cars would simply get jammed up in our local streets,” she said. “We also know that induced demand means that that extra space will be very quickly filled up by additional commuting, and we’re going to see additional commuting if you don’t resolve our housing affordability challenge, particularly in light of increased population across the region.”

North Vancouver mayor not surprised
Mayor Mike Little said study reveals some answers about traffic patterns today, but it also indicates more work will need to be done to address congestion on the North Shore.

“It shows that there was some progress and some benefit, which we all saw there was going to be when you better manage eight lanes of traffic down to three,” he said. “But it doesn’t get an extra person over the bridge and so that’s still to be to be determined.”

Little said no one in government was expecting the project to be a silver bullet for North Shore traffic but the data showing improvement does align with his personal experiences commuting from his own neighbourhood.

“We definitely knew the limits of what it was going to improve because it wasn’t going to address the bridge deck. But there’s no question that it has improved reliable access to and from the Seymour area,” he said.

When traffic is at its worst – days when a stall or collision has closed one lane of southbound traffic on the bridge – Little said there is still work to be done.

“The clearance time for collisions on the bridge is still extremely long,” he said.

Little added that although study was “data rich” in how it analysized driver stats within the Lower Lynn Improvement Project corridor, it did not reveal at all where the traffic was coming from or why.

“While it does address some of the performance issues, in my view, it doesn’t address the demand side, which is historically long line-ups on both sides of the bridge at different times of the day, and it’s seven days a week,” he said.
https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/di...raffic-8789544

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:41 AM

Quote:
The Lower Lynn thread is locked but some analysis on what it did with traffic. I think it achieved everything that they wanted with the limited scope of the project.
It seems to be pretty much in line with what I expected. You can get major gains when you build a new bridge with more lanes, but when you just improve the approaches the benefits are more of an incremental nature.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:46 AM

Quote:
The Ironworkers Bridge still has decades of life left in it but Ma said planning work for its replacement has already begun within the ministry. That new bridge though should be seen primarily as a rapid transit link, not just a means to get more cars on and off the North Shore, she added.
Nice to see continual Provincial nudges from Bowinn Ma towards a Second Narrows Skytrain crossing.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:57 AM

They really need to do something similar on the south end. Have the Hastings and McGill on ramps merge together then form the 3rd lane over the bridge both with full length bus lanes.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 5:01 AM

Any major upgrade for the south end should wait for the bridge replacement itself, which should be combined with the planned purple line skytrain crossing.

An 8 lane bridge with skytrain would be a perfect future proofed structure. 6 through lanes and two add drop lanes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure