HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
Oh yes, the CEO of a major airline suggests an idea that costs billions of tax payers dollars and only make his company more money, I wonder why he would suggest such a thing? I am shocked!

Say we went all in with YQM, 10 years from now he'd be saying the same thing about YQM and YHZ, no point in having two major airports that have 1/10 of YYZ traffic so close together.

From my understanding, the federal government invests significantly more amount than the province, so why would the province handicap two of its major cities by closing their airports, which does help each city grow. Could you imagine this decision was made in the 80's when Saint John was the major city so it likely would have been the major airport, and you likely wouldn't be seeing Moncton growing like it is today.

Either way, there's only about 1M passengers/year currently through the 3 airports. With 1, we would likely just predominately go through Montreal/Toronto for any significant destinations, or would need to drive to Halifax. If you don't believe me, look at Abbotsford International Airport departure/arrival page, which reportedly has 1.3M passengers annually: Calgary, Calgary, Edmonton, Edmonton, Toronto Repeat.... At least now half of us would have longer drives while all of us will have the pleasure of longer security checks and a bigger waiting room, I'm just dying with excitement!

We're just too small of a population base to think our "major" airport would suddenly be supporting all these wonderful destinations at discount pricing.
More money for his company would mean more flights in and out of New Brunswick. It's a rare case of where what's good for the airline, is good for the people of NB. More flights and more traffic is what we need.

If current population growth trends continue, along with urbanization rates, 75% of New Brunswickers will live in the metro areas of Saint John, Fredericton, and Moncton one day. Already, we're getting closer to 500,000 people living within or adjacent to the metro areas of the 3 "big cities".

Abbotsford is not even an hour from the Vancouver Airport, and Abbotsford still has considerably cheaper flights than YSJ and YFC. Saint John and Fredericton have a combined metro population of over 250,000, and would pull upon an over 350,000 people. There's far more people in the combined metro areas of Saint John and Fredericton than Greater Moncton. Shutting down YSJ and YFC , and have YQM be the only airport for the three major cities of NB would be a horrible idea.

The goal could be to have two airports that with a traffic of over 1 million each. Halifax is on pace for 4 million passengers in the not too distant future, with a Metro population that is basically half that of Winnipeg. It's reasonable for NB (with a population close to that of Metro Winnipeg) to aim for two airports with 1 million or more each. Saskatchewan has no problem with that goal across their two main airports, but is not not a desirable tourist destination like New Brunswick.

South of the border of Saskatchewan is gophers, but south of the New Brunswick border 57,000,000 people in the Northeastern United States. Getting some direct flights to New York, Boston, or other cities would not be out of the question.

I don't think New Brunswick is "too small a population", not when you compare it to other Canadian airports and the populations they serve. We punch well above our weight in terms of tourism, and we are strategically located close to huge US population centres. There's even the possibility of shared flights that originate in St. John's, NFLD or Halifax that pick up passengers in Moncton or SJ/Freddy on the way to destinations like Boston, New York, etc.

None of this would happen suddenly. We need big ideas and better plans for the future, and not be so quick to write our province off as "too small", etc. Better is always possible. It's an idea at the very least that deserves some economic study. I'm not sure Saint John and Fredericton can ever reach 1 million combined passengers between two airports, but that's exactly the type of thing that government should study and find out.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
The goal could be to have two airports that with a traffic of over 1 million each. Halifax is on pace for 4 million passengers in the not too distant future, with a Metro population that is basically half that of Winnipeg.
Halifax had 4,316,079 passengers in 2018 before the pandemic and 737 max 8 issues as well as WESTJET's retreat from Eastern Canada. Halifax Stanfield has roughly Winnipeg's metro population within a 1 hour and 30 min drive from the Airport.

Since Sydney is the only other airport in N.S. with only 1 flight to YYZ daily and 1 flight to YUL daily it basically serves the nearly 1.1 Million people in Nova Scotia and the Tourists that visit Nova Scotia. And of course it gets traffic from P.E.I. and N.B. along with significant connecting traffic to/from Newfoundland and Labrador.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Was told today by someone connected to YSJ that the May 8 announcement.... :will be an important step in service diversification and market growth"

Fingers crossed.
From the YSJ facebook page:

Quote:

The best kind of problem 😉
We have an exciting announcement coming this week that will make your vacation planning even easier… stay tuned!

End Quote

A bit of reading between the lines here. They mention vacation planning. That leads me to believe that it's oriented toward all inclusive vacations or something along that line. If it was a direct to Halifax or even Calgary I don't think they would have worded it that way.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
From the YSJ facebook page:

Quote:

The best kind of problem ������
We have an exciting announcement coming this week that will make your vacation planning even easier… stay tuned!

End Quote

A bit of reading between the lines here. They mention vacation planning. That leads me to believe that it's oriented toward all inclusive vacations or something along that line. If it was a direct to Halifax or even Calgary I don't think they would have worded it that way.
Yeah, I hope it's not just more seasonal charter flights south.....but I fear it may be.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I hope it's not just more seasonal charter flights south.....but I fear it may be.
I think you may be correct. SJ is now a departure city on the Sunwing booking site. It is not clear what destinations there will be.

https://www.sunwing.ca/en/promotion/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 3:38 PM

It will probably be:
Saint John to a Cuba destination
Plus possibly another location either Dominican or Mexico starting next fall or spring

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
It will probably be:
Saint John to a Cuba destination
Plus possibly another location either Dominican or Mexico starting next fall or spring
I agree. I think it's too late in the spring for anything this summer. It will be an announcement for fall or spring. My bets are Flair going to somewhere. I can't see Sunwing, they are being absorbed by Westjet and have no presents here in Saint John. Air Transit seems to be focused on Moncton and Fredericton. We shall see.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 4:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the main Canada airport thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Truly disappointing if that is what it turns out to be. All that noise over seasonal sun destinations.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Sydney Airport Authority hopes to see Halifax flights return

The CEO of the Sydney Airport Authority says he wants direct flights to Halifax to return.

"That's my number 1 priority and the priority of everyone I speak to in our community. 'Where do you want to go?' It's Halifax. You can connect from Halifax to just about anywhere, so that's what we're primarily focused on," Myles Tuttle told CBC News on Tuesday.

Air Canada once offered direct flights between Halifax Stanfield International Airport and the J.A. Douglas McCurdy Sydney Airport but officially ended those routes in 2022 because the number of bookings was too low. The drive time between Halifax and Sydney is about 4.5 hours.

"A lot of business takes place between Cape Breton and the Halifax area. It would mean a lot for connecting to go on vacations, to travel for business, to travel for education — all of that," Tuttle said, adding he's optimistic about the route returning.

"We've been having discussions with my counterparts at the Halifax Airport Authority as well as a number of regional airlines to meet that need — hopefully — very soon."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...back-1.7196554

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 8:35 PM

It would be nice to see those connecting flights back to Halifax: Saint John, Fredericton, Moncton, Sydney, Charlottetown; maybe even Yarmouth. Challenge will be to find the right size aircraft. The Q400's are probably too big. In a previous life, would fly regularly YYT-YHZ-YFC. Now, one has to drive to NB to/from YHZ.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 9:19 PM

CBC Halifax 6pm news just said an announcement is expected late summer/early fall on the Halifax regional flights. Pal airlines does have some smaller Dash 8's that they could operate as Air Canada flights.

Pal is already operating Q400's on behalf of Air Canada out of Halifax.

50 seat Dash-8-300

37 seat Dash-8-100

16 seat Beechcraft 1900D

https://www.palairlines.ca/en/fly-pal/our-fleet/

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 5:34 PM

New PASCAN regional air service with Saint John, Bathurst and Halifax launching September 9th.
Quote:
“ We’re thrilled to announce a new regional air service with Pascan providing weekday flights between Saint John, Halifax and Bathurst – providing much-needed air connections for New Brunswick travellers.

PASCAN will launch the new regional service Sept. 9 with two daily return flights Monday to Friday between Saint John and Halifax along with one same-day return flight between Bathurst and Saint John every weekday.

Seamless travel, increased options – it's time to fly from Saint John!

Nous sommes ravis d'annoncer un nouveau service aérien régional avec PASCAN Aviation offrant des vols en semaine entre Saint John, Halifax et Bathurst, offrant ainsi des liaisons aériennes indispensables aux voyageurs du Nouveau-Brunswick.

PASCAN lancera le nouveau service régional le 9 septembre avec deux vols aller-retour du lundi au vendredi entre Saint John et Halifax ainsi qu'un vol aller-retour le même jour entre Bathurst et Saint John chaque jour de la semaine.

Voyages fluides, options accrues: il est temps de prendre l'avion Ă  partir de Saint John!

Envision Saint John: The Regional Growth Agency, The Saint John Region Chamber, Bathurst Regional Airport / Aéroport régional de Bathurst, Halifax Stanfield, Wayne Long”.
Press Release: https://ysjsaintjohn.ca/saint-john-a...l-air-service/

PASCAN Website: https://www.pascan.com/en/

Last edited by DyAm00394; May 8, 2024 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 5:57 PM

[QUOTE=DyAm00394;10200959]New PASCAN regional air service with Saint John, Bathurst and Halifax launching September 9th.

PASCAN Website: https://www.pascan.com/en/[/QUOTE

Pascan?? Really? Not excited at all about this one folks. I think this was the same company that tried to set up flights out of Saint John a few years back then pulled out at the last minute. Hope it takes off. Hope they line up with decent connections in Halifax. Not excited at all. But I guess better then nothing

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 6:02 PM

Meh

Who or what is Pascan? Are they an Air Canada connector? Even if they are, most times Halifax would just add an extra stop before you get to Montreal or Toronto and catch your flight to where you are actually going.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 6:33 PM

Release says they will be flying Saab 340s. I flew on one 25 or 30 years ago on a US Commuter, Not a bad little plane but noisy as I recall. One nice thing is that they are small enough that the seating is a 1-2 configeration. That means if you select a seat on the left side you are by yourself. OTOH they must be getting pretty elderly. They went out of production some 25 years ago and I think many were produced in the 80’s. I'm quite a confident flyer but still, you start to think about reliability in a 40 year old plane.

Last edited by sailor734; May 8, 2024 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 7:17 PM

PASCAN is a partner with Porter in their new terminal at YHU (PASCAN’s home base) in Montreal - the press release mentions PASCAN hopes to setup interline agreements with this new service - so a connection from PASCAN onto Porter in YHZ may one day be possible and seems like the most likely outcome. Can’t say that I have much faith in this lasting without there being connection possibilities from the get go.

In other YSJ related news, Sunwing contact numbers are listed on the YSJ airport website again, so looking likely that they may be back for the winter charter season - which is interesting as they are now owned by Westjet.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 7:19 PM

[QUOTE=homebody;10200979]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
New PASCAN regional air service with Saint John, Bathurst and Halifax launching September 9th.

PASCAN Website: https://www.pascan.com/en/[/QUOTE

Pascan?? Really? Not excited at all about this one folks. I think this was the same company that tried to set up flights out of Saint John a few years back then pulled out at the last minute. Hope it takes off. Hope they line up with decent connections in Halifax. Not excited at all. But I guess better then nothing
Line up with connections in Halifax? You’d be foolish to book any sort of flight to Europe and expect to reliably get there on time with “Pascan”, especially out of YSJ. I’m going to take a wild guess and assume they don’t have any major airline partners, so if you miss your flight in Halifax because of cancellations or delays with Pascan, you’ll be SOL. This will be useful for getting to Halifax, nothing more… hopefully it will at least be affordable.

Flair can get us to Toronto for $50-100. You’d still be mad to make safe say separate bookings with Flair and another airline. There’s still some risk making a next day booking in Toronto, but not so much of as risk it wouldn’t be worth booking to save money, especially if you have a a friend to stay with or don’t mind chilling at the airport.

Flair staying in business and getting partnerships with other airlines would be huge for making them more useful than a means to get to Toronto or Orlando.. Even if they don’t get the partnerships, some new routes like Montreal, Boston, New York and the would be game changing, and help our local tourism industry greatly. There’s lots of people in Montreal and New York that could be convinced to take a trip to Saint John to escape the big city and sweltering summer heat, that don’t want to spend as much as a cruise ship to get here costs.

Sounds like Porter won’t be coming to YSJ anytime soon. So hoping for Flair to stick around and improve their service is pretty much our best hope at the moment.

Local leaders in Fredericton and Saint John should really be doing more to lobby the province to subsidize more flights to our airports. Even more so, Saint John and Fredericton should be pushing for one airport to serve both cities.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
PASCAN is a partner with Porter in their new terminal at YHU (PASCAN’s home base) in Montreal - the press release mentions PASCAN hopes to setup interline agreements with this new service - so a connection from PASCAN onto Porter in YHZ may one day be possible and seems like the most likely outcome. Can’t say that I have much faith in this lasting without there being connection possibilities from the get go.

In other YSJ related news, Sunwing contact numbers are listed on the YSJ airport website again, so looking likely that they may be back for the winter charter season - which is interesting as they are now owned by Westjet.
Agreed. If all they are offering is a flight to Halifax it's not much use to many wanting to fly out of YSJ.

Even with a codeshare with Porter by the time you drive to YSJ, checkin, go though security, board, fly to YHZ, taxi to the gate and then deplane you could have driven to Moncton and be boarding your direct Porter flight to Montreal or Toronto.

Last edited by sailor734; May 8, 2024 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Halifax had 4,316,079 passengers in 2018 before the pandemic and 737 max 8 issues as well as WESTJET's retreat from Eastern Canada. Halifax Stanfield has roughly Winnipeg's metro population within a 1 hour and 30 min drive from the Airport.

Since Sydney is the only other airport in N.S. with only 1 flight to YYZ daily and 1 flight to YUL daily it basically serves the nearly 1.1 Million people in Nova Scotia and the Tourists that visit Nova Scotia. And of course it gets traffic from P.E.I. and N.B. along with significant connecting traffic to/from Newfoundland and Labrador.
NB and NS aren’t exactly radically different in terms of population size. New Brunswick having two airports with 1 million+ passengers would be well in line with the demographic comparison to Nova Scotia.

Nova Scotia, however, is far better at lobbying the federal government to assist their tourism industry and empower their residents with better transportation links than New Brunswick is.

New Brunswickers are far more cynical and skeptical about big ideas to change the province for the better, and our cities and towns seem to have competing interests more often than shared, common interests.

YSJ/YFC could transition to become almost entirely focused on cargo, with the new airport focused on passengers. Saint John and Fredericton should put aside their rivalry and work towards this common goal. It would be a win-win for both cities, and a reasonable goal to work towards in the coming decades.

Last edited by EnvisionSaintJohn; May 8, 2024 at 8:46 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces