HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 4:05 PM

Thanks New...

I wonder, do you think that if a building cap is placed in Edgewater, then that will lead to a greater likelihood of approved very talls coming to fruition, being that such opportunities for huge numbers of units will no longer be available? It seems to me that developers would find it more attractive to push those select projects through even if at a greater risk, while they have a chance to. Come on Onyx 2 and the rest. With just those that are approved right now Edgewater could be in great shape, and then yes lets see many small cool buildings sprinkled throughout historic ones. I don't know about the yellow building at 25th and Biscayne however, a friend of mine lived there, I've been inside, not much worth saving.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 4:40 PM

Here's a couple of U/C pics from last month.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 9:10 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Very Talls in Edgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch photographer
Thanks New...

I wonder, do you think that if a building cap is placed in Edgewater, then that will lead to a greater likelihood of approved very talls coming to fruition, being that such opportunities for huge numbers of units will no longer be available? It seems to me that developers would find it more attractive to push those select projects through even if at a greater risk, while they have a chance to. Come on Onyx 2 and the rest. With just those that are approved right now Edgewater could be in great shape, and then yes lets see many small cool buildings sprinkled throughout historic ones. I don't know about the yellow building at 25th and Biscayne however, a friend of mine lived there, I've been inside, not much worth saving.
Arch, right now, the market just isn't supporting them unless more powerful developers take over these projects who have the long term investment in mind as far as what they see the area could become. I honestly do believe that is what is happening with Element. Maybe others will follow suit who view Edgewater as on the upswing, but these would have to be developers willing to take a gamble and who have the backing and resources to do it the way Tibor Hollo is doing with Villa Magna. Very few developers would be able to start construction with only a third of a high-rise condo being sold as he is being allowed to do. Perhaps they will go the mixed-used route the way some other initially all-residential buildings did. That seems as though it's become the project-saver these days with the shift towards the office market! Steve

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Mar 21, 2007 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 2:54 AM

Met3

met2

capital

marinablue

epic

riverfront-wind and ivy

jade beach

brickell on the river 2

500brickell

icon

latitude office

plaza

avenue

infinity

asia

marquis

loft2

met1

paramount

1800 and quantum

skyline

Casa or cube(don’t know why its blue)

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 12:46 PM
BANNED

Boohiggy!

Wow! Those suckers are climbing fast since I left for Rio.

I will be coming back though soon, I need to close on some of my property down here then go to my bank in Dubai...

Shalom and Boohiggy,

Butters

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Does that 35 ft height limit apply to buildings already approved, is that approval being recinded? If not then we could still get Platinum on the Bay and Element, Lyghte and Soleil and a few others, and I think that would be what Edgewater needs. I don't think anyone wants to see tower pressed against tower everywhere. But a handful of distinctive tall buildings will bring up that area, with land prices as they are, no one is going to build 3 story buildings.
Buildings that are already approved would be exempt from any new height limit (for example Continuum II in South Beach was approved before the 22-story height limit went up there). Once a building has been approved it cant be recinded with anything short of imenent domain procedings.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 5:26 PM

How long do those approvals hold for, is there a time limit? Because it may take awhile to let the market swing back up and find new developers ready to make it happen.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 10:50 PM

In the city of miami...a major use special permit( anything with over 200units) will have two years to try and get a foundation/demolition permit- but they can renew there permit if they go back before the commision- meaning they have a long time.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 5:50 AM

Well the 2 years must be up for all of those towers in Edgewater District 2, certainly for Ice Ice 2/Element, Platinum on the Bay, Onyx 2. It feels like we have been talking about all of those for a lot longer than 2 years.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 2:31 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Well the 2 years must be up for all of those towers in Edgewater District 2, certainly for Ice Ice 2/Element, Platinum on the Bay, Onyx 2. It feels like we have been talking about all of those for a lot longer than 2 years.

Emporis, sporting a more accurate list these days, is finally listing Ice2 as dead ("Never Built), while Platinum on the Bay has become just "Approved" rather than "Under Construction." That leaves me wondering if Dave8721 has any further news of the "new" Element. Steve

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 3:03 PM

Funny you should ask because the Herald had an article today on the fate of cancelled projects. It stated other developers have now signed contracts to buy Onyx2 & Premiere Towers but haven't closed yet. It doesnt mention the fate of Element though.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...s/16111150.htm

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 5:10 PM

^ That's incredibly good news, as Onyx2 and Premiere Towers were two of my favorite designs. Now if someone could just do something with Platinum on the Bay ...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 1:28 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
^ That's incredibly good news, as Onyx2 and Premiere Towers were two of my favorite designs. Now if someone could just do something with Platinum on the Bay ...

And Element. I'm trying not to get too excited. Looks like everybody's waiting for construction and insurance costs to come back down, but just as the article says, projects that have already gone through the approval process are very attractive to more experienced developers who can just go ahead and start digging. And Dale, your favorite designs are just the type of architecture that should reflect where we live. Let's face it, we live in hurricane alley, and these more avant-garde designs, that reduce wind load, should be what define the Miami skyline. The semicircular, wedding cake design of the Bank of America tower and the terraced top of the Wachovia building are part of what speak for the region in which we live and are part of what define the architecture of what is distinctly Miami. The design of the Flatiron building would have done well to distinctly define the architecture of Miami. A hurricane wouldn't know what to do with a design like that! I emailed Mr. Haggman at the Miami Herald, the author of the article, to see if he couldn't give us any news of a new "Element."

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Nov 30, 2006 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 8:02 PM

A big whole in the ground being dug at the Capital site. Looks like foundation work:

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 11:17 PM

I noticed Emporis and ssp diagram still have infinity II listed as UC. Is that correct or still a mistake?
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 11:27 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Infinity II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazpmk
I noticed Emporis and ssp diagram still have infinity II listed as UC. Is that correct or still a mistake?
That is not correct. The sales office is still where Infinity II is supposed to go. One of the sales reps told me that they are scheduled to start in March of next year, but activity on the Capital site is good news! Steve

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 11:29 PM

You know, aside from all this awe-inspiring development, and even great individual towers, Miami needs one skyline-defining, signiture tower to really set it apart. I mean that as constructive criticism. I like the Miami skyline, so I just want to see it upped a notch, to the point one can say, "Oop! That's Miami, because I recognize the _________ Tower!"

I'll have the pleasure of experiencing Miami for the very fist time this New Years. We'll be driving, so I'll get to see much of Florida that I haven't seen yet. Tampa, Ft. Laud, and Jacksonville...and possibly Tallahassee. I obviously anticipate Miami the most...Can't wait! ...oh and Key West, dude...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 2:18 AM

Good to see capital may be moving forward!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 2:41 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

One Bayfront Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi
You know, aside from all this awe-inspiring development, and even great individual towers, Miami needs one skyline-defining, signiture tower to really set it apart. I mean that as constructive criticism. I like the Miami skyline, so I just want to see it upped a notch, to the point one can say, "Oop! That's Miami, because I recognize the _________ Tower!"

I'll have the pleasure of experiencing Miami for the very fist time this New Years. We'll be driving, so I'll get to see much of Florida that I haven't seen yet. Tampa, Ft. Laud, and Jacksonville...and possibly Tallahassee. I obviously anticipate Miami the most...Can't wait! ...oh and Key West, dude...
"That's Miami, because I recognize the _________ Tower!" I think this is what the "powers that be" want One Bayfront Plaza to become, which is why we could very well see this one eventually go up, sort of like our Empire State Building or Transamerica Pyramid, if the distinctive spread along Biscayne Bay isn't enough to set us apart. The skyline is becoming more and more impressive as the weeks go by with Quantum up to 400 feet now and 50 Biscayne almost up to 500. Steve

http://www.fecr.com/bayfrontPark/index.htm

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Dec 4, 2006 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
We have two. Atlantis in the Brickell District and Bank of America Tower in the CBD. While both were part of the 1980s building boom, not the recent one, they show, "That's Miami!".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations