HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 6:57 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

A cool little find on the back page of the main section today:
-------------
We're No. 1
And No. 4, and No. 9, and No. 10, and No. 17, and No. 50, and No. 69 ...
Published 12:00 am PDT Sunday, May 6, 2007
Story appeared in MAIN NEWS section, Page A22

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)

THE LOWDOWN: We love lists. Not grocery lists or to-do lists, perhaps, but lists ranking our city against other burgs hit the spot. When we're on top, we can take pride in the River City - well, as long as it's not a list of crime hot spots or something. When we're not, we can dispute the obvious unfairness of the list creators. Here's a look:

DOING BUSINESS: The Big Tomato ranked only No. 89 on the Forbes list of best places for business and careers, falling down on the job in rankings for the cost of doing business, job growth, education and population. Raleigh, N.C., landed at No.1, but at least we're not Stockton (No. 199) or Salinas (No. 200).

ON THE GO: Tahitian Noni International, a sports drink manufacturer, ranks Sacramento No. 4 on its most energetic cities list, citing our low body mass index scores. San Francisco tops the list, with San Diego also making the cut.

READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY? Sacramento ranks No. 28 on a list of America's most literate cities compiled by a Central Connecticut State University professor. Criteria include bookstores, libraries, magazines, education, Internet resources and newspaper circulation.

CRIME RATES: Based on the FBI's national violent crime rates per 100,000 population, Sacramento comes in at No. 83.

UNDERRATED TOURISM: And the Big Tomato squeezes in at No. 10 on the Sherman Travel list of the nation's most underrated cities - as in, cities not normally considered tourist destinations.

FIRE IT UP: Propane tank maker Blue Rhino names Sacramento its No. 1 ideal city for summer grilling, based on our predilection for sunny, warm weather.

BABY ON BOARD: BabyFit.com puts the Big Tomato squarely at No. 50 on its list of the top 100 cities for healthy pregnancies - top honors go to Overland Park, Kan., while Washington, D.C., tanks at No. 100.

IDENTITY CRISIS: In the category of lists we'd rather not rank highly on, River City ranks No. 9 on a list of the top 10 U.S. cities to have your identity stolen in a list compiled for the American Chronicle. San Francisco tops the list, and San Jose and San Diego also make the top 10.

SINGLES SEEN: Sacramento rates No. 13 on the Forbes list of the best cities for singles, based on rankings for culture, night life, singles, job growth, living cost and online activity. Denver claimed the top spot, while Greensboro, N.C., landed at the bottom at No. 40.

CATCHING SOME Z's: Hey, at least we're a great city for sleeping. Shuteye.com rates Sacramento No. 11 on its list of the best cities for snoozing.

IT'S AN AROMATIC HEAT: Old Spice puts Sacramento at No. 69 on its list of the top 100 sweatiest cities. Phoenix perspires its way to No. 1, while San Francisco keeps its cool to claim No. 100. And how in the heck did Old Spice come up with the ranking? By calculating the amount of sweat a person of average height and weight would produce walking around for an hour in the average high temperature for June through August.

WELL-WIRED: Sacramento ties for No. 17 with Chicago on the Forbes list of America's most wired cities, factoring in the number of Internet users with high-speed access, the range of service providers and availability of public-access wireless hot spots.

LIVING SKINNY AND SMART: Folsom ranks No. 34 on the Money magazine list of the best places to live, while Roseville grabs the top spot on its list of the skinniest cities. And Davis takes second, just behind Arlington, Va., on the magazine's list of the most educated cities.

HELP WANTED: On the Money magazine list of cities with fastest job growth, Folsom ranks No. 9 and Roseville clocks in at No. 11. Surprise! Surprise, Ariz., rates No. 1.

Compiled by Pete Basofin and Sheila A. Kern

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 9:13 PM

Does anyone know why there is not a noise barrier wall between I-5 and Old Sacramento? I've never understood that. It would seem obvious to put one in.

Last edited by ozone; May 7, 2007 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 2:10 AM

Soooo....What are some clubs you can suggest for someone under 21? I've been going to Empire and The Library club since I hit 18, and wanna try something new. What's some cool clubs to go to?

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 3:38 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotha_Lynch View Post
Soooo....What are some clubs you can suggest for someone under 21? I've been going to Empire and The Library club since I hit 18, and wanna try something new. What's some cool clubs to go to?
none? why are clubs so cool? I'm asking in all seriousness. It's much cheaper to get a 20 pack of pabps for 7 bucks

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 4:17 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

^ Does that come with girls inside? I think not.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 4:44 AM

Here's something fun I found (literally) next door to me. Actually, from the PDF it appears this TOD project is being built on either side of my apt complex.
http://www.sacrt.com/TLC/FolsomLine/...erfieldmap.pdf

Edit: I see that the PDF is a few years old. But, they are doing construction on the East side of my apt complex and, from what I know from our apt mgr, it's housing.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 5:29 AM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmtbr View Post

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 9:36 AM
Closed account

Quote:
The Underground (Roseville) has the best live bands in the whole Sacramento area, and is all ages.

The Boardwalk (Orangevale) Kind of seedy but fun if you like mosh pits, all ages.

Club Retro (Fair Oaks) Punk rock place for under 21 crowd.

Other than that, I am not sure. I don't know of any dance clubs for under 21... Kind of sad now that I think about it.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmtbr View Post

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
The Underground (Roseville) has the best live bands in the whole Sacramento area, and is all ages.

The Boardwalk (Orangevale) Kind of seedy but fun if you like mosh pits, all ages.

Club Retro (Fair Oaks) Punk rock place for under 21 crowd.

Other than that, I am not sure. I don't know of any dance clubs for under 21... Kind of sad now that I think about it.
I beg to differ. if you're looking for local shows Old Ironsides, Marilyns, Blue Lamp would all top any crap in Roseville. I particularly like Old I. For an 18 and up club I believe the Empire on Wednesdays and Fridays is 18 and up and you'll find hot girls your age their. Club 21 on Wednesdays is 18 and up and it's probably the funnest club for those 18 and up, it's a gay club. And the Library behind Sac State and Barcode on Arden are also 18 and up I believe.

Club Retro is in a christian church and I believe is geared towards orangevale hokies.
no offense econgrad but I don't think you get out much downtown based on your terrible recommendations.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmidtown View Post
I beg to differ. if you're looking for local shows Old Ironsides, Marilyns, Blue Lamp would all top any crap in Roseville. I particularly like Old I. For an 18 and up club I believe the Empire on Wednesdays and Fridays is 18 and up and you'll find hot girls your age their. Club 21 on Wednesdays is 18 and up and it's probably the funnest club for those 18 and up, it's a gay club. And the Library behind Sac State and Barcode on Arden are also 18 and up I believe.

Club Retro is in a christian church and I believe is geared towards orangevale hokies.
no offense econgrad but I don't think you get out much downtown based on your terrible recommendations.

Any chance a straight guy can have fun at a gay club in your opinion? Some of my straight friends hit up some gay clubs and liked it. I was like "???????".
Whatcha think?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Does anyone know why there is not a noise barrier wall between I-5 and Old Sacramento? I've never understood that. It would seem obvious to put one in.
sound barriers are for residential areas.....most businesses like the exposure aka auto dealers etc etc etc

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 1:19 AM

I'm not sure freeway exposure is a real concern for Old Sacramento's merchants. There's no gas stations, motels, auto dealers, ect etc etc.. Why would the merchants want the exposure of a freeway that completely ruins the whole atmosphere of the place? And I'm not sure you are correct that noise barriers are only for residential areas. I know that noise barriers have been used for state parks as well and Old Sacramento is a state park. Besides now that new condos are going in Old Sacramento wouldn't it be considered a residential area?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 1:41 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Any chance a straight guy can have fun at a gay club in your opinion?

I suspect that you would probably have a great time..

The key to having fun is remember that your in a gay bar, so if somebody buys you a drink (unlikley) or tells you that your attractive; don't go off the deep end and start throwing punches..

Most people will respect you if you simply thank them for the compliment but inform them that you are happily straight...

This will also demonstrate that you are secure and happy in your sexuality.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 2:23 AM

ok have them take noise readings then and get on the waiting list for funds.....

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:37 AM
BUFF$LUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
none? why are clubs so cool? I'm asking in all seriousness. It's much cheaper to get a 20 pack of pabps for 7 bucks
umm, some of us actually enjoy doing the social thing and going out to meet new people. try it sometime?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:26 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmidtown View Post

LOL! Greenmidtown, my band sells out all those clubs you mentioned! He also asked for under 21, which all the clubs you mentioned are over 21. The music scene downtown is isolated, no bands that play downtown get good exposure. The kids (under 18) buy the CD's, and go to the shows, not to just drink beer and sit around like at Blue Lamp and Old I's and Marylins, but to rock out, mosh and watch and support the act. The bands that are getting signed, play in front of more than 200+ people, not a crappy crowd of 80 or less like in all the clubs you mentioned, all play at the Boardwalk and The Underground. This is what I do for a living now, I think I know what I am talking about. You seem to be just another "Gridder" that likes to talk smack about the burbs, when you have probably never ever seen a show out there. Better bands, better crowds, real venues. Guess what, the music scene in DT sac is not that great at all, its kind of a joke to everyone outside of downtown, especially in major cities. Only exception would be concert at the park. I have been playing all these clubs since I was 14 playing at the Cattle Club in my highschool metal band, you have no idea or have a clue of what you are talking about.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:28 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownserg89 View Post
umm, some of us actually enjoy doing the social thing and going out to meet new people. try it sometime?
school works, is cheaper....

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:19 PM

Jesus, that's a ton of money. Talk about an amazing donation. Too bad Sac couldn't get a small piece of that pie, esp considering he had all the money here. They are free do with it as they wish though.

Sounds like they are very big on education and it doesn't help we don't have a private university that he could have donated to.

I can't even imagine what that could do for UOP. The interest alone on 100M would be probably around 5M (average money market) a year

Sacramento developer, wife give $100 million to UOP
By Michelle Hatfield - Modesto Bee

STOCKTON -- Sacramento real estate developer Bob Powell and his wife, Jeannette, have donated $100 million to the University of the Pacific, transforming the university's future, officials announced Monday.

The gift is the largest in the private university's history.

Under terms of the contribution, which established the Robert C. and Jeannette Powell Fund, the university will not have access to the funds until the Powells, both 75, die. The Powells have no children, UOP officials said.

"Bob and Jeannette have been longtime supporters of Pacific and education in general," said UOP President Don DeRosa.

UOP officials still are working with the Powells to determine which programs the money will support, but both sides favor earmarking a significant portion for student financial aid.

Tuition at UOP is about $27,000, and students pay thousands more for textbooks, room and board.

About 80 percent of the university's 6,250 students receive some form of financial aid or assistance, said spokesman Patrick Giblin.

Bob Powell developed Gold River, a planned community along the American River, and the Pavilions shopping center on Fair Oaks Boulevard, both in Sacramento.

Jeannette Powell is an interior designer.

The Powells, who are very private, did not attend the press conference and reception Monday, instead sending the friends who had introduced them to the university, Ed and Joan Westgate.

Ed Westgate read a statement from the Powells: "We are so proud of our association with this fine university and are excited to make this gift to ensure an even brighter future for University of the Pacific and its current and future students."

UOP officials offered few details about the Powells, but did say neither attended UOP.

Bob Powell served on the university's 30-member Board of Regents from 1989 to 1993.

Jeanette Powell was appointed in 1999 and is still a member of the board.

The Powells previously have donated to UOP, but some gifts have not been made public. The couple gave $1.5 million in 2000 to help build an art center named after Jeannette Powell.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:55 PM

^I agree Sugit. I thought the same thing when I read the article. too bad Sac doesn't have a private university.

I doubt their estate will simply write a check for $100M when they die though. What's more likely is that they will get $5M/Yr for 20 years, or something like that. I doubt (but am not sure) the value of their gift is $100M in 2007 dollars. Either way, VERY generous, and it continues a recent trend that you've mentioned previously of increasing philanthropy in the Sac area...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area