HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 8:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
No doubt about it: Libeskind's vision is being realized to a far, far greater degree than anyone could have predicted when his plan was first adopted.

The FT at 1,776 feet with a symbolic "SoL" referencing-spire, the ascending swirl of towers... not to mention that 2 WTC looks a lot like one of his "placeholders!"
Libeskind's "vision" was for the site plan itself, and that has never really been in doubt (except for moving the Freedom Tower a bit). Everything is where it has always been planned. It was Libeskind's desire to actually design the buildings that got him shut out. The 1776 ft was Libeskind's all the way. But I didn't buy that SOL reference from either of the last versions, and I certainly don't buy it now. Also, a lot of people think Fosters Tower 2 looks a lot like Libeskinds placeholder. But I think it actually has as much or more in common with the Freedom Tower that's being built now.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Libeskind's "vision" was for the site plan itself, and that has never really been in doubt (except for moving the Freedom Tower a bit). Everything is where it has always been planned. It was Libeskind's desire to actually design the buildings that got him shut out. The 1776 ft was Libeskind's all the way. But I didn't buy that SOL reference from either of the last versions, and I certainly don't buy it now. Also, a lot of people think Fosters Tower 2 looks a lot like Libeskinds placeholder. But I think it actually has as much or more in common with the Freedom Tower that's being built now.
The whole architectural "contest" was sadly just a dog and pony show for Silverstein to build the exact design he proposed a week after 9/11. I am sorry, but the WTC designs are just god awful dreck. Each is pure 1980's Houston in style. David Childs is a hack so his design is to be expected, but what is really disappointing is Foster's awful design. This is the same man that reinvented the skyscraper with the Gherkin? Who built the Hearst building in Midtown? The other two designs may be salvageable, but both are obviously bloated by Silverstein's desire to maximize floorspace.

Please check how the new skyscrapers that are being built and proposed in Chicago, Paris, London and Dubai and tell me with a straight face that the new WTC designs are anything but utterly banal. They would have been interesting in 1985 not 2007. They represent an utter failure of civil society and vision in New York and are an insult to those who died that day.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
The whole architectural "contest" was sadly just a dog and pony show for Silverstein to build the exact design he proposed a week after 9/11. I am sorry, but the WTC designs are just god awful dreck. Each is pure 1980's Houston in style. David Childs is a hack so his design is to be expected, but what is really disappointing is Foster's awful design. This is the same man that reinvented the skyscraper with the Gherkin? Who built the Hearst building in Midtown? The other two designs may be salvageable, but both are obviously bloated by Silverstein's desire to maximize floorspace.

Please check how the new skyscrapers that are being built and proposed in Chicago, Paris, London and Dubai and tell me with a straight face that the new WTC designs are anything but utterly banal. They would have been interesting in 1985 not 2007. They represent an utter failure of civil society and vision in New York and are an insult to those who died that day.
Agreed.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 1:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The whole architectural "contest" was sadly just a dog and pony show for Silverstein to build the exact design he proposed a week after 9/11.
That's easy to say, but the facts prove otherwise. For a long time it was not even certain Silverstein would remain in charge or build anything. Nothing being built now is as Silverstein proposed a week after 9/11. In fact, Silverstein didn't propose anything. There was talk of building a group of 50-story towers, but that was just theoretical talk of how to replace 2 110-story buildings.

Quote:
Please check how the new skyscrapers that are being built and proposed in Chicago, Paris, London and Dubai and tell me with a straight face that the new WTC designs are anything but utterly banal. They would have been interesting in 1985 not 2007.
You have your opinion. Others have theirs. But either way, I'm neither concerned with, nor care about what designs are being proposed or built in Chicago or any of those other places. Let those cities have two 110-story towers destroyed in a terrorist attack, then get back to me about the fantastic designs. Like it or not, there are real issues with the WTC rebuilding, and I think we are lucky to be getting what we are under the circumstances.

I'll take my chances with this:

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 7, 2007 at 1:28 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 2:47 PM

Quote:

Fosters awful design? Don't make me laugh. Go away troll.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 3:01 PM
low-riding

There are opinions and then there are people deliberately trying to start a fight. please don't bite and start 3 full pages and back and forth

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
There are opinions and then there are people deliberately trying to start a fight. please don't bite and start 3 full pages and back and forth
I'm not biting. I just saw the bait and wanted to label it as such, in order to prevent people from wasting their time taking it seriously.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 11:37 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Bait or not, I have a low tolerance for ignorance. Opinions are fine. But facts are facts, lets not confuse the two, or accept it from others.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 11:40 PM
New Yorker for life

More images from Rodgers...

__

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Fosters awful design? Don't make me laugh. Go away troll.
Yes, Foster's design, especially compared to his WTC proposal is uninspired at best. I find it dated and uninventive.

Most architectural critics, New York Times, New Yorker, Metropolis, panned the Silverstein's final designs. I had very high hopes for these buildings, as did most New Yorkers.

They will most likely be perfectly respectable corporate headquarters, but they do not provide a vision for the World. They could have.

They should have.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 12:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Yes, Foster's design, especially compared to his WTC proposal is uninspired at best. I find it dated and uninventive.

Most architectural critics, New York Times, New Yorker, Metropolis, panned the Silverstein's final designs. I had very high hopes for these buildings, as did most New Yorkers.

They will most likely be perfectly respectable corporate headquarters, but they do not provide a vision for the World. They could have.

They should have.
OK. Next!.....

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 5:43 PM

I think the complex is just fine the way it is.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 11:26 PM
New Yorker for life

pathrestoration.com

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 12:08 PM
New Yorker for life

From this cam shot, you can see work continuing on the sites of towers 2, 3, and 4, as well as the Freedom Tower...(and Goldman Sachs)

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 2:02 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Very, very nice tower!

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 1:44 PM
New Yorker for life

More renderings...
www.rsh-p.com

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
More renderings...
www.rsh-p.com

Wow...nice rendering. Too bad that 2 WTC is blocked from this angle.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 7:27 AM

It's so nice... and not realistic. Like in a cheap sci-fi movie.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
Wow...nice rendering. Too bad that 2 WTC is blocked from this angle.
How is it blocked when we can clearly see it? It will be blocked by certain angles but not this one.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 2:21 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Tho isn't WTC2 under-represented in that render? the top will be really close the WTC1's roof...
/I'm also missing WTC5, Goldman-Sachs, 111 & 123 Washington St.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive