Bergenser 2 4.17%
Dalreg 1 2.08%
cur sed 9 18.75%
CGII 36 75.00%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 10:22 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

SSP Design Comp 4 VOTING

Thanks for all the entries, sorry to be late, next comp goes up next Saturday. Merry Christmas!

Bergenser

Dalreg
Main tower 1130' in height.
Rail station occupies ground floor of entire building (Foley/Farley/what ever it is called)
New MSG is elevated above rail tracks.

cur sed
Alrighty y'all, here's my entry.

I've taken on both the MSG site and Farley in this one, and tried to create a coherent proposal which works with its environment. Hopefully.

Alright, first off, a couple of overviews.
This shot, clumsily composited into its place in Google Earth, gives a good overview of the project. The Glass Atria of the new MSG in the West and Moynihan station in the East are integrated into the Farley building, with glass shards connecting the 2. Across 8th Avenue, we've got 4 office towers. Again, the theme of glass shards continues, with identical clusters of towers framing a reflecting pool to the North and South. The next building is difficult to see from this point of view, but it leads visually to the tallest skyscraper here, forming a towering peak in the Easternmost corner of the site.
This shot gives a much better idea of the vertical scale of the project, as well as the increasing height from West to East. This ascent is there to complement the New York skyline, rising up towards the Empire State a few blocks East. The heights of the towers are 89 metres (17 stories), 220 metres (45 stories) and 332 metres (65 stories) respectively.
This shot gives us a better idea of what the Farley building will look like. The 2 atria house the main hall of the new Moynihan station and the new MSG. these clear roofs are connected by shards of glass, which emphasise the East-West direction of the building, and remind us of the integration of these important locations with both each other and the new office development.
When researching this project, I read a lot about the poor disabled access options for the Farley building. Part of my plan to remedy this (access is key to a large train station) are these additions to the building, which sit at the 4 corners of the site, and house elevators for access to the moat below (from which, you can access the rest of the building. The master plan for this moat area is to house cafes and shops in the basement level, plant trees and create a kind of public plaza around the whole building.
For me, this image is the real kicker. All of the symmetry, all of the planning that went into this plot show up right here. This is the view a person would have immediately upon exiting Moynihan station, emerging from wherever they've travelled into this collection of towers.

While it's not the tallest building in this complex, the bigger footprint of the second tower makes it a significant focal point in the office complex. 220 metres to its tip, this office tower is again influenced by the 'shard of glass' aesthetic I was going for here, as well as paying fairly obvious homage to I.M. Pei's Bank of China building in Hong Kong.
Another interesting feature of this complex can be seen at its foundations. The plaza that our 2 tallest towers stand on is raised 6 metres off the ground, with a concourse underneath clad in transparent glsss providing a spectacular view into the structure of the 2 skyscrapers.

CGII
Features two towers, one 700' hotel and office tower, and a 1500 'pinnacle' tower. The placement of the towers and parkspace is carefully thought through, so as to provide a park at the convergence of 1 Penn, Tower 1, Tower 2 and the Farley Building, serving as a focal point of sorts for the whole project. As well, 32nd street was continued to allow the Farley to terminate the street (for the first time ever, I believe). The tower's design was not to steal the spotlight or serve to compliment only the ESB, but build to the skyline and serve as iconic in its own right.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 12:49 AM
Posting Quick Reply

Wow, they're all great. I gotta go with CGII though.

Great job, guys.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 1:17 AM
Desert Dweller

CGII, you design blew me away! I love it! It fits perfectly with NYC, and would make a great addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2006, 11:54 PM
Information Age

Amazing work CGll!

I see you've putt alot of work in this proposal!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2006, 12:43 AM
Forum officer

Was there a specific reason to end the tops of the towers with curves, CG? It would have been perfect to me had they been flat! That's my only complaint, I love it otherwise!!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2006, 5:13 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackunion View Post
Was there a specific reason to end the tops of the towers with curves, CG? It would have been perfect to me had they been flat! That's my only complaint, I love it otherwise!!
Really? I'd have to have done the crowns in brick to do that, for myself, at least.

Anyways, I was at a friends house which was built in 1893 and it had these fabulous cast iron radiatours that gave me the inspiration primarily for Tower 2 and the accompanying crown for Tower 1. I fell in love with the cascading design they had. They were really romantic, if you can believe that.

Thanks, all.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 4:46 AM
Website Manager

wow awesome work you guys! I didn't really know this kind of thing was going on in here.

I voted for cur sed

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 6:46 AM

Well, I'm not sure how long the poll lasts, but it looks like we have a winner
How long until we get our next assignment, CGII?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 5:09 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Pretty soon. School just caught up.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 4:19 AM
Tribune in all her glory.

It was a tie between the last two, but I chose CGII.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 5:15 AM
Run with Love

holy shit CGII, yours totaly kicks ass and your drawing sort of makes me want to have sex with you
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 5:19 AM

whow to much info

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 11:04 PM
nuttin

L L
nice work

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art