HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 7:08 PM

It is now what NY was post WW2, what London was in the late 19th century, What Paris was under Louis the fourteenth, What Rome of the Caesars was......it is now the ultimate metropolis of our age, the greatest urban powerhouse on earth.

Paris is more beautiful, NY more diverse, Chicago more impressive to look at but Tokyo is now the daddy.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villelumiere View Post
It is now what NY was post WW2, what London was in the late 19th century, What Paris was under Louis the fourteenth, What Rome of the Caesars was......it is now the ultimate metropolis of our age, the greatest urban powerhouse on earth.

Paris is more beautiful, NY more diverse, Chicago more impressive to look at but Tokyo is now the daddy.
Chicago more impressive to look at? Paris more beautiful? hmm..

Guess this is a prime example on how beauty falls into the eyes of the beholder.

I have been bouncing back and forth from Tokyo spending 6 months out of the year there since 93 and still to this days pictures like this still are overwhelming and the fact that there is still areas in the city I have never set foot is scary. I return in another month and these pictures get me motivated to say the least. As far as Tokyo's "lack of parks" that could not be further from the truth, of course looking at those pictures does not do it justice as mainly they are focused upon Shinj/Tok/Roppongi etc but there are infact quite a number of parks hidden within those miles and miles of concrete pics. Many neighborhoods are lined with temples/shrines/squares and Tokyo boasts a number of very large parks such as Ueno, Hinokicho, Midtown, Yayogi Park (main site of the 64 games), Gyoen, and just on the outters Tachikawa, Seibu, Tama also offer very large parks. Just a stone throw minutes away (easy by J Rail) are some very diverse areas such as great beaches lining Chiba/Shonan and of course Otama Mountains/Fuji not to mention some great ski resorts mainly not taken into consideration/known from people who have not visited.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 1:07 AM

Is that the Chrysler Building! I had to look twice there.

If you put your hand over all the really tall skyscrapers and cover them up, that stuff in the foreground could be the CBD of a major city, and then you look up and see all that shining glass and steel, and it's like WHOA!!

I really don't think you can get a sense of scale unless you go there. It's astronomically large and really sprawls off into the horizon. With the haze you'd think it goes on forever.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 4:51 PM
Information Age

THAT is dence. If it wasn't for the earthquake risk, they could have buildt
several supertalls in Tokyo!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 12:50 PM

It is technologically possible to build earthquake-proof supertalls. Taipei 101 uses a number of pioneering structural features to be one of the most stable buildings on the planet.
It can withstand the most powerful earthquake likely to occur in a 2500 year cycle.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 8:12 PM

I refuse to look at these pictures for a prolonged period of time without knowing when I can actually go there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos