HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 7:02 PM

Tour of California continues: Roseville & Folsom

Before I take my tour of California into the Bay Area, I thought I'd post some pictures of two cities I visited over the holidays to see friends and family. Both Roseville, off highway 80, and Folsom, off highway 50, are fast growing suburbs of Sacramento, but, started as towns in their own right.

Folsom, CA

In most people's mind, Folsom's claim to fame is being the location of one our most notorious prisons, Folsom Prison. But, it is now a thriving (read sprawling) suburb of Sacramento with approximately 70,000 people. I thought about adding these to my Gold Country thread as the historic downtown is a typical old west style, but, given its ties to the Sacramento region, it seemed more appropriate to include here.

Downtown redevelopment beckons...

Recently expanded Light Rail into Folsom

Roseville, CA

I think Roseville represents the quintessential California suburban city. The city of approximately 106,000 is an old railroad town that became a bedroom community and edge city-retail mecca. Any big box store or chain restaurant you could want is either already built or on the development list. Roseville does have an Amtrak station but, egregiously, no LRT stations at present. I lived here for a number of years and enjoyed it. Some of these pictures are from last summer, others from earlier this month.

Symbols of Roseville

Downtown

Railroad tracks separate downtown from the "historic" downtown.

Railroad past even figures into modern retail

Even more places to shop coming soon...

Wide avenues abound

Office-Corporate Park expansion into Roseville has been phenomenal since I lived there

Historic downtown has a relatively "active" bar scene

If you like surburban living, Roseville is as nice a place as any to call home.

Tour of California

1: Los Angeles, 2: Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena, Beverly Hills, 3: Riverside, Santa Ana, Long Beach, 4: San Jose, 5: San Diego, 6: Fresno, 7: Stockton, Modesto, 8: Gold Country, 9: Eureka, Arcata, 10: Monterey, Carmel, 11: Santa Cruz, 12: Sacramento Pt One, 13: Sacramento Pt Two

Last edited by stepper77; Feb 5, 2008 at 5:12 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 7:27 PM

Nice tour! Thank you.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 3:38 AM

Good tour

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 4:34 AM

Trippy, I used to live in Folsom, and currently live about 5 miles from Roseville.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 4:41 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Oldtown Folsom is a real gem, much like Auburn. I love the juxtaposition of the sign and LRT in your first shot. Very nice!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 6:04 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Great pictures. I like the older historic areas. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 4:39 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Great shots, I havent been in 15 years. Very nice towns, kind of California's version of middle America....

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 11:22 PM
Here we stAy

That's the good stuff right there.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 11:49 PM
them bones

I used to work on Vernon Street. Roseville has a couple of gem buildings in its downtown. No shots of the Tower Theater?

I've spent many a night drinking in DT Folsom...

I can't really fault either of the two towns in terms of annexation for those retail tax dollars. Still, both are equally dreadful in terms of planning and infrastructure.

Unfortunately the transportation plans in metro Sac are only going to make this worse...very sad.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
I used to work on Vernon Street. Roseville has a couple of gem buildings in its downtown. No shots of the Tower Theater?

I've spent many a night drinking in DT Folsom...

I can't really fault either of the two towns in terms of annexation for those retail tax dollars. Still, both are equally dreadful in terms of planning and infrastructure.

Unfortunately the transportation plans in metro Sac are only going to make this worse...very sad.
Thanks for mentioning the missing Tower Theatre photos. I don't know how I missed it, but, I added it to the thread.

Yes, despite the light rail station, 90% of Folsom is still a sprawling mess. Sure, it's nice now but what will all those shopping centers look like in 20 years?

I do like Roseville, the traffic nightmares around the galleria excepted, but, I just wish the city would start building up, instead of out. But, what else is new? Even Sacramento is having a hard time building anything vertically inspiring.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 5:37 PM
them bones

^Thanks.

The central portion of Roseville isn't that bad and is actually quite walkable. I do give the city credit for building their new City Hall right downtown. I'm suprised they didn't do a land swap with a tract developer like they are doing in Elk Grove. Like I said, credit where credit is due.

The railroad tracks separating one side of downtown from another is unfortunate. No reason though that it couldn't be redeveloped into some time of multi-modal commuter hub though (excellent potential rail connections in most directions...they just need the will and the capital).

Placer County needs to get hooked into SacRT though. The bus connections to the Watt end of the lite rail on Roseville Transit are decidedly inconvenient (at least they were 5 years ago). Then again, I was a reverse commuter (lived in Old Sac).

The areas on the other side of 80 and north of Atlantic Ave (towards the Galleria/Rocklin) are complete clusterf*cks. Wide sweeping roads that cross each other multiple times and form no semblance of cohesion. One could argue geography, but the arterial layout in the city is ridiculous.

Does cause one to wonder of course if all that retail is destined to look like Sunrise Mall and environs in 20 years.

Thanks for the photos.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos