HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:47 PM

Bay Area Caltrain Tour, Part one

Back in December I spent the day going up the Peninsula from San Jose on the Caltrain stopping at various towns along the way. I decided to post the photos along with other pictures I've taken of cities along the Peninsula so these aren't all taken at or near the stations. Hope you enjoy.

Santa Clara (pop 102,361)

Anyone think Mary looks like the actress Maggie Smith?

Mountain View (pop 70,708)

Multi-modal transit...VTA light rail and Caltrain

Palo Alto (pop 58,598)

Stanford University

Tour of California

1: Los Angeles, 2: Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena, Beverly Hills, 3: Riverside, Santa Ana, Long Beach, 4: San Jose, 5: San Diego, 6: Fresno, 7: Stockton, Modesto, 8: Gold Country, 9: Eureka, Arcata, 10: Monterey, Carmel, 11: Santa Cruz, 12: Sacramento Pt One, 13: Sacramento Pt Two, 14: Roseville & Folsom, 15: Concord & Walnut Creek, 16: Tri-Valley, 17: Berkeley, Emeryville, 18: Fremont

Last edited by stepper77; Mar 26, 2008 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 5:33 PM

I was thinking of doing something exactly like this about a year ago, but I never actually got around to it.

Nice pictures. Slowly working your way up to the city?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 12:01 AM
Only Mostly Dead

It's a great idea and I'm glad one of you decided to do it! I'm sure you'll hit Redwood City, which, like Mountain View, I feel is underrated. I think they both tend to get overshadowed by Palo Alto. But both have a nice walkable downtown and surrounding neighborhoods, good transit options and are relatively centrally located for jobs in either Silicon Valley or SF.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 12:51 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Cool shots!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 1:38 AM

were there pictures of the palo alto and santa clara train stations?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 2:03 AM
designer&stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
It's a great idea and I'm glad one of you decided to do it! I'm sure you'll hit Redwood City, which, like Mountain View, I feel is underrated. I think they both tend to get overshadowed by Palo Alto. But both have a nice walkable downtown and surrounding neighborhoods, good transit options and are relatively centrally located for jobs in either Silicon Valley or SF.
Great tour stepper77. peanut gallery, I uploaded some Redwood City photos over the summer and I still believe Redwood City has a more architecturally appealing downtown compared to Palo Alto. Also, it's hard to beat the old San Mateo County courthouse and Fox Theater.

^I'm not sure you're aware of this stepper77, but the empty parcel of land next to the Sports Gallery used to a Walgreens store, which suffered fire damage and was thus torn down. It was a historical building and hopefully something decent replaces it. What originally stood there,

http://images.pahistory.org/cgi-bin/...&CISOMODE=grid
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 4:43 AM

BigKidD, I remember there being a thread of Redwood City awhile ago. Thanks for that! Your thread is part of what inspired me to want to check the city out. It really has a lot of nice, older buildings. And I didn't know that about the building in Palo Alto, what a shame. They city seems to have done a good job with adapting old buildings to new uses. I agree and hope that they put something interesting in its place.

to sgoet, I did get a picture of the Palo Alto train station, which has an art deco style to it, but, it didn't come out very well.

The part of Santa Clara I took pictures of wasn't actually near the train station. It was by Great America, though there is a VTA light rail station nearby. So, I didn't stop at Santa Clara's station.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 5:56 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for pointing that out BigKidD. I somehow missed that thread and really enjoyed it. And I agree with you that Redwood City has a great collection of vintage architecture.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 10:55 PM

My current stomping grounds! Nice.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 11:34 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I've been by his gate, but of course, never seen inside before.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 8:38 PM
designer&stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepper77 View Post
BigKidD, I remember there being a thread of Redwood City awhile ago. Thanks for that! Your thread is part of what inspired me to want to check the city out. It really has a lot of nice, older buildings. And I didn't know that about the building in Palo Alto, what a shame. They city seems to have done a good job with adapting old buildings to new uses. I agree and hope that they put something interesting in its place.
I concur about the reuse of buildings downtown. Also, I thought there would be a new building on that empty lot downtown by now, but it's still dirt.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 10:28 PM

Those are some nice looking towns, and Stanford has a beautiful campus. I've never seen pictures of it before.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 12:04 PM

Nice set of pics!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos