HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 12:49 AM

someone drinking a coffee on the train is not really something to waste any time worrying about. people do it all the time and it doesn't seem to cause any problems. but then again there are always those who just like to follow rules for rules sake.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 12:52 AM

I like it, the shop has a very clean look....a lot better than those International News shops.

Is there still enough space for fare gates? I know for sure that the new shop at the Granville Station concourse will probably have to be demolished soon to make way for the gates.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 2:58 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
I like it, the shop has a very clean look....a lot better than those International News shops.

Is there still enough space for fare gates? I know for sure that the new shop at the Granville Station concourse will probably have to be demolished soon to make way for the gates.
Actually on second thought they don't really need to demolish that International News Stand. That would be the preferred option, but remember that floral shop [not there anymore], I think there's enough room to place the fare gates diagonally there. It might be a safety hazard with the escalators though...

Yes there is enough room at Stadium - Chinatown. I'm sure of it. The coffee shop does not take up a lot of space, I think it was right before the escalator line so it doesn't really matter.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post

Yes there is enough room at Stadium - Chinatown. I'm sure of it. The coffee shop does not take up a lot of space, I think it was right before the escalator line so it doesn't really matter.
That might be a problem - wouldn't you want the retail to be before the ticket barriers? If it is right at the top of the escalator, where do the ticket barriers go?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
That might be a problem - wouldn't you want the retail to be before the ticket barriers? If it is right at the top of the escalator, where do the ticket barriers go?
That's what I was thinking too.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 7:17 PM

It only causes problems when people spill them, ever been on board during an emergency stop? The problem with coffee is that it's typically served hot, and could conceivably hurt someone. Seats covered in milk are less of an issue, other than reducing the seating capcity of the train. Besides, un-enforced regulations leads to disrespect for all regulations, not a week goes by when a cylist doesn't try to force his way on in the "wrong" direction in rush hour.

Last edited by Dave2; Apr 23, 2008 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 8:54 PM

For the fare gates, there could be fences/railings installed adjacent to the gates, so the gates can be located in what is currently a wide open area.
You wouldn't want them too close to the upper landing of an "up" escalator, for example - imagine a slow person and people piling up behind.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 2:53 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Sorry I responded this late but this could a potential plan for Stadium - Chinatown. Note I did this plan and I don't fully remember what the ticket concourse area looks like.

Stadium - Chinatown w/ faregates, coffee shop, and relocation of ticket vending machines ~ Picture by Me ~ Hosted on Imageshack

I would think this could work - although the spaces seem a little tight. I'm pretty sure they can easily widen the area as well.

On another note, here's the finally completed Ethical Bean Express at Commercial Drive station.

Completed Ethical Bean Express @ Commercial Drive Station ~ Picture by Me ~ Hosted on Imageshack

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 2:58 AM

^ heh, the coffee shop at Stadium-Chinatown should be outside of the fare gates, not inside.

And I have to say that I love the coffee shop at Commercial Station....as long as it's not inside the fare gate enclosure.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 3:23 AM

The Stadium plan looks like what I would expect. The door could be moved to the wall outside the faregates (and the old one closed of course!)

Having the coffee shop on the inside only works well for incoming passengers (which goes against the no eating on Skytrain policy), as exitng passengers wouldn't want to wrangle through the turnstiles with cup in hand and briefcase, etc.. So having it on the outside seems better.

The Commercial shop must be on the "inside" based on the bridge next to it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 3:25 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
^ heh, the coffee shop at Stadium-Chinatown should be outside of the fare gates, not inside.

And I have to say that I love the coffee shop at Commercial Station....as long as it's not inside the fare gate enclosure.
Most likely the case though as there isn't much room at that area for fare gates. It would probably be a diagonal row of fare gates at the current ticketing area.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 4:33 AM

Anyone has any idea as which company will set up shop at Chinatown-Stadium station "Ethical Bean " maybe ?
TY

I used to buy this coffee on a little shop at Davie and Burrard, but since they closed, I go Beans from around the world on Powell.
be nice to have them at that station
cheer

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 4:37 AM

^ It is going to be a Waves coffee shop.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 5:05 PM
loafing in lotusland

The commercial station kiosk IS inside the FAre Paid Zone. It's right in front of you when you get of the M-Line and go up the stairs.

There are lots of coffee places that operate inside fare-paid zones.

I think in Berlin every station has a little newstand / candy shop inside each station.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 8:35 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
The commercial station kiosk IS inside the FAre Paid Zone. It's right in front of you when you get of the M-Line and go up the stairs.

There are lots of coffee places that operate inside fare-paid zones.

I think in Berlin every station has a little newstand / candy shop inside each station.
That's what I thought. And I don't mind shops being in the fare paid zone either/fare gates either. It would be better if they begin the distance based fare system so that you don't have to be charged for walking into the fare paid zone to get a cup of coffee from your favorite coffee shop then walk back without having pay for anything.

At transitcamp, there were many discussions of having amenities inside stations like coffee shops and bakeries [haha... just the thought of smelling fresh bread coming out of the oven sounds nice though it will never happen].

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 5:10 AM

theres a store inside granville station after you go down the long escalator

well there used to be been a long time since i've used that station

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 5:18 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
theres a store inside granville station after you go down the long escalator

well there used to be been a long time since i've used that station
And is supposed to be an International News Stand... but it's been taking a while now...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 5:22 AM

so theres no store now?

in the 90's there was a store way down there on the west bound level i remember using it a few times and there was a florsit on the main ticket level

shows you how long ago i used the skytrain to granville station

lol

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
^ It is going to be a Waves coffee shop.
thanks at least they will have fair trade coffee , COOL

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 3:25 AM

not sure which station this is

Last edited by mr.x; Jul 1, 2008 at 3:54 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure