HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 9:45 PM
New Yorker for life

NEW YORK | The Waterfalls

http://www.nycwaterfalls.org/

Olafur Eliasson's 4 waterfalls around the east river have opened, and will remain open for 4 months (June 26 - Oct 13).

For a city in and surrounded by water, it doesn't seem like it should make a big splash, but the waterfalls have become oddly fascinating.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...e100122D60.DTL

Bloomberg unveils `Waterfalls' art project in NYC

By VERENA DOBNIK
June 26, 2008

Four walls of water cascaded into the East River off Manhattan on Thursday in a public art spectacle that Mayor Michael Bloomberg called the "most unexpected" waterfalls between North America and Africa.

"New York is a place where big ideas are realized," the mayor said at a news conference on the terrace of the South Street Seaport for the official unveiling of "The New York City Waterfalls."

The freestanding waterfalls created by Danish artist Olafur Eliasson were more than two years in the making, and the $15.5 million project is expected to generate more than $55 million in economic activity.

"It's been quite a journey. It's been a great challenge to achieve this," Eliasson said, describing many middle-of-the-night tests to pump water over the metal scaffolding.

The four sites — off Governors Island in the harbor, at the Brooklyn base of the Brooklyn Bridge, at Pier 35 near the Manhattan Bridge and off the Brooklyn Promenade — are "the most unexpected and intriguing waterfall destination between Niagara Falls and Victoria Falls," Bloomberg said.

It's the city's biggest public art project since artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude erected "The Gates" in Central Park in 2005, adorning 23 miles of footpaths with 7,500 saffron panels. That project drew more than 5 million visitors and generated about $254 million in economic activity.

Hotels are advertising special packages and tourist agencies are offering bicycle and boat excursions to see the waterfalls, which Bloomberg called "a beautiful symbol of the energy returning to our waterfront."

The money to build the waterfalls was raised by the Public Art Fund, a private not-for-profit organization. Individuals, foundations and corporations — including Bloomberg's own media company, Bloomberg LP — donated $13.5 million, and a state agency picked up the rest of the tab.

The falls will be on every day from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. through Oct. 13, and illuminated after sunset.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 9:55 PM
New Yorker for life

My favorite of the falls would be the Brooklyn Bridge falls...JUNE 20, 2008

The falls as seen from the South Street Seaport (June 27, 2008)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 10:04 PM
New Yorker for life

The Manhattan falls

The lush, tropical paradise of New York City...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 10:18 PM
New Yorker for life

The Brooklyn falls

NYPD on duty

The falls at Governors Island

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 10:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Bonus east river scenes...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 10:38 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Well I have to say from all of the photos I've seen they look kind of stupid. I guess I'll have to wait until August when I can see them in person.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 5:21 AM
Salut tout le monde!

Thanks for sharing, I was wondering when someone will post some pics to show how these falls look like. Not so bad, but I expected more water.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 11:50 AM

now I've got a big case of bridge envy.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 6:11 PM
Wrong Wood

okay, I'm spoiled because I live about 30mins from Niagara Falls, but WTF?

NYC has nothing better to do with the money than make fake, low water volume waterfalls? Nothing against the photos, but the idea is such a waste...amazing.

and it looks so...half-ass

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 6:27 PM
Of Heart's Delight

They look like somebody knocked over a bucket atop scaffolding.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 11:47 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBC View Post
okay, I'm spoiled because I live about 30mins from Niagara Falls, but WTF?

NYC has nothing better to do with the money than make fake, low water volume waterfalls? Nothing against the photos, but the idea is such a waste...amazing.

and it looks so...half-ass
The waterfalls are paid for through a private organization.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 11:59 PM

Public art is always good. It gets some folk's blood boiling sometimes, but most of the time they just need to do a little more homework Postmodernism doesn't pander.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 4:12 AM

I like the concept. Thanks for the pictures, I had been looking forward to this one.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 7:47 PM
Wrong Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
The waterfalls are paid for through a private organization.
thats fair, I would expectedly assume it was taxpayer-funded being that I live in NY as well and I see so much $$$ squandered. I was wrong this time and if it's private funds the better it sounds to me.

Still not my cup of tea...but different. lol

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBC View Post
thats fair, I would expectedly assume it was taxpayer-funded being that I live in NY as well and I see so much $$$ squandered. I was wrong this time and if it's private funds the better it sounds to me. Still not my cup of tea...but different. lol
Either way, the City stands to gain a lot more than the expense from added tourism revenue.

The falls themselves are meant to put emphasis on the city's waterfront setting, and the abundance of it. New Yorkers (and visitors) rarely think of the city primarily as a waterfront destination, but that's changing more and more. In this case, I think the number of falls creates a visual impact. They should do it every year, but create more falls. Aftertall, there's water everywhere around the city. And as they say, if you've got it, flaunt it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 10:04 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/27/ar...0A&oref=slogin

Cascades, Sing the City Energetic

By ROBERTA SMITH
June 27, 2008

When Walt Whitman crossed the East River on the Brooklyn Ferry, the sheer ecstasy of the trip made him see the future. It was us, the coming generations of urban dwellers who would draw the same energy he did from his wonderful town and its waterways.

Whitman imagined an essence of city life that is still palpable — and intoxicating — no matter how many changes we lament. But I doubt he could have conjured one thing that we can see for the next three and a half months: the waterfalls in our midst.

Four of them, to be exact. Together they form a mammoth work of shoreline land art called “The New York City Waterfalls.” It is the brainchild of the Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson working with the tireless Public Art Fund and a host of public and private organizations and donors. Between 90 and a 120 feet high and up to 80 feet across, they cascade into Whitman’s beloved East River from four dense, plumbed scaffolding structures on or just off the coasts of Manhattan, Brooklyn and Governors Island, making some of New York’s most thrilling waterside vistas more so.

Sometimes Mr. Eliasson’s falls are almost miragelike, especially after dark, when unobtrusive lighting makes them shimmer white against the muffled cityscape. It is at night that you have the greatest chance of hearing them from a distance, otherwise the rush of water is drowned out by the city. But their quiet heightens their strangeness, day or night. It is as if they were in their own movie, a silent one. And in a way they are. They could almost fool King Kong into thinking he is back home. They are the remnants of a primordial Eden, beautiful, uncanny signs of a natural nonurban past that the city never had.

Sometimes when the wind is brisk, and the steel scaffolding is especially visible, the falls inspire more nuts-and-bolts associations. They can send the mind to the Cyclone of Coney Island and those towers from which daredevil riders and their hapless steeds used to jump, or to old Times Square with its ambitious billboards. If you get really close to them, you’ll see that the water is carried upward by what are essentially common New York apartment-building plumbing risers (18 inches in diameter, and occurring every 10 feet across).

The waterfalls run every day, from morning until 10 at night. Which is to say that they can be turned off, unlike the city that never sleeps. (They do turn off automatically if the wind is too strong.) Unlike real waterfalls, they continuously recirculate river water, meaning that they are, technically speaking, fountains. In the same vein the work’s very title is an oxymoron. After all, it was the relative dearth of real waterfalls that fostered New York’s nearly instant success and glamour as a port city.

But “The New York City Waterfalls” is also one of the largest works of art, public or otherwise, of our modern era. (Let’s not get in a shouting match with ancient civilizations, where autocratic rule made all sorts of things possible.) The piece is an heir to the monumental site-specific artworks whose most spectacular examples were made (and in some cases still are being made) in the distant reaches of the Nevada and Utah deserts starting in the late 1960s and the ’70s by earth artists like Robert Smithson, Walter De Maria, James Turrell and Michael Heizer. Ever since, younger, less isolationist artists have figured out ways to do something similar in the urban environment, within reach of a large public. In this they have followed the example of Christo and Jeanne-Claude, whose 2005 “Gates” ostentatiously swathed Central Park in orange.

The waterfalls are an astounding feat of engineering, municipal coordination and fund-raising (given their $15 million price tag). But they are also actually relatively unobtrusive and brilliantly insidious. They go against the grain of the often spectacular nature of quite a bit of the best-known public art, including some made by Mr. Eliasson himself.

Mr. Eliasson likes to think big about ways to enhance the experience of light, space, scale, nature and community. His best known work is the 2003 “Weather Project,” an immense installation of the jaw-dropping kind. Using bright yellow fluorescent lights behind a scrim and a mirrored ceiling, it created an immense glowing sun on the end wall of Tate Modern’s vast Turbine Hall, while also mechanically adding bits of mist and fog to the view.

For months Londoners basked in the work’s artificial glow, often while stretched out on the ground gazing up at their tiny reflections. Sometimes they collaborated on performance pieces visible to everyone, arranging their prone bodies in words of greeting or protest or in abstract designs. Some people hated the work, seeing it as a dwarfing spectacle with fascist overtones; others complained that it turned the museum into a giant playpen.

Here Mr. Eliasson takes a more subtle tack. The falls don’t bowl you over or dwarf you until you get close to them, and even then not always. Mostly they accumulate in a way art purists may welcome with buzzwords like “de-centering” and “discursive.” Despite its size, the work has to be assembled and reassembled by individual viewers who will see its parts from hundreds of different vantage points along the river.

Even when you go to one of the places where all four waterfalls are visible at once, the spectacular character of the piece builds slowly. From the top level of the Pier 17 building in the South Street Seaport, for example, the widest fall, spouting from beneath the Brooklyn Bridge and veiling the Brooklyn-side pylon in sheets of white water, is easy enough to spot. The others , smaller and more distant, must be picked out one by one. To the right, the second Brooklyn falls, on the Brooklyn Piers, can almost get lost in the jumble of buildings. Up river a bit the Manhattan falls stand out on the short Pier 35 yet seem a little dwarfed, like a water slide without its slide. To the far right, the falls on Governors Island are especially beautiful. Rising above the relatively low-lying profile like a tropical vision, they seem to waiting for the jungle to grow up around them.

The experience of Mr. Eliasson’s artful addition to the urban landscape depends on everything around it — the city’s changing pace, light and (real) weather. And on you. The falls can be looked at from near or far, alone or in groups, on foot or bike, from boats and bridges, in snatched glimpses on the move or staying-in-place contemplation. They fake natural history with basic plumbing, making little rips in the urban fabric through which you glimpse hints of lost paradise and get a sharpened sense of Whitman’s, the one you already inhabit.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 10:26 PM
Community Guy

very cool...but small compared to the Edmonton one:>

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 10:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 10:49 PM

wow, I was expecting a little more. It doesnt stimulate much imagination or feeling to me. Perhaps its something you need to experience in person. Even from the article's favourable photo it looks exactly like what it is...low pressure water falling over scaffolding.

I was anticipating a more surreal effect like The Gates in Central Park.

Im sure some ambient lighting at night would be a different story.

$55 million in economic activity?

Quote:
Sometimes when the wind is brisk, and the steel scaffolding is especially visible, the falls inspire more nuts-and-bolts associations. They can send the mind to the Cyclone of Coney Island and those towers from which daredevil riders and their hapless steeds used to jump, or to old Times Square with its ambitious billboards. If you ge
c'mooon...thats a stretch.

edit* they do look much better at night.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 11:52 PM
Frigidus Maximus

OK, so these things are only going to be around until this October, and then what? Put back in their box, never to be seen again?

I ❤️ NY

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos