HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > SSP: Local Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 7:52 AM

Bike Thread

We need more to talk about instead of all the doom and gloom!

First post in the New bike thread!!! woo

Blog________

Here is a bike blog for fun http://bikeportland.org/

Video________

Great video on bike rush hour in Portland!

Streetfilms: Bike Rush Hour on Portland’s Hawthorne Bridge

http://www.streetsblog.org/2009/04/2...-rush-hour-on- portlands-hawthorne-bridge/

Thank you! Cant wait to see what everyone posts in the New Bike Thread

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:12 PM

What's the scoop on Broadway getting a bike lane?

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:20 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Adams promises to sacrifice a lane of Broadway traffic for cyclists

Posted by Joseph Rose. The Oregonian April 30, 2009 13:30PM

On Tuesday night, hometown rock band The Decemberists appeared on "The Colbert Report" and gave a national TV shout-out to Portland as a "big biking town." (Watch the video above).

On Thursday, Portland Mayor Sam Adams made it a little a bigger, promising to remove one of three automobile lanes on Southwest Broadway for a dedicated "cycletrack" near Portland State University.

The 7-foot-wide bikeway would cut through the heart of the university campus between Clay and Jackson streets. Parking spaces on the west side of the street would be moved several feet to the left, away from the sidewalk, creating a barrier of parked cars between cyclists and auto traffic. There would also be a 3-foot painted "shy zone" between parking and the bikeway, allowing people to get out of cars without disrupting bike traffic.

If it works to alleviate conflicts between motorists and cyclists, city transportation officials said separated bikeways could pop up on other busy streets.

"Part of the intent here," said Rob Burchfield, the Portland Bureau of Transportation's head traffic engineer, "is to demonstrate how something like this would work."

Burchfield is confident the experiment will show that cycletracks, common in European cities, improve traffic safety and flow.

Adams, whose list of "First 100 Days" promises included a downtown cycletrack, announced his plans at a PSU sustainability conference.

As transportation commissioner, Adams has the authority to push the project forward on his own, his office said. What's more, much of the cost, expected to be about $80,000, will come from savings in this year's transportation budget.

Initially, the exclusive bikeway was targeted for the North Park Blocks. But the Portland Fire Bureau opposed the plan, saying there wouldn't be enough room for emergency vehicles.

Broadway might be a better location anyway, said Roger Geller, the Bureau of Transportation's bicycle coordinator. "The current condition for bike commuters on Broadway is substandard," he said. "There's narrow parking, a narrow travel way, a narrow bike lane."

Geller said the cycletrack would provide "more space and comfort" for both motorists and cyclists approaching Portland State, one of the city's most popular bike destinations.

Another plus: Transportation officials said the targeted stretch of Broadway is under capacity and includes no major intersections.

In North America, cycletracks are novel but hardly new. New York City has one in the heart of Manhattan, and planners are incorporating the concept into making a large part of Times Square car-free. Chicago, meanwhile, is eyeing an elevated cycletrack through a heavy-trafficked part of the city.

In Portland, the $5.4 million Northeast Cully Boulevard improvement project, set to begin construction soon, will have a paved cycletrack from Killingsworth to Prescott streets resembling those in Montreal.

But the Broadway cycletrack, slated for completion in August, would be the city's first because it will require considerably less engineering and cost. Just, Burchfield said, "some new paint and moving a few signs."

-- Joseph Rose; josephrose@news.oregonian.com

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting...crifice_a.html

image from PBOT

2009 - 15,749 | 2010 - 17,576 | 2011 - 18,257 | 2012 - 18,794

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:28 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

This is older, but also a cycle track proposal for NE Cully:

http://bikeportland.org/2008/11/20/p...roposed-cully/

image hosted by bikeportland, by PBOT(?)

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:57 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Also, the North Park Blocks cycle track:

http://bikeportland.org/2009/03/23/c...h-park-blocks/

photo from neighborhoodnotes.com

apparently this one was canceled, and they are doing the PSU one instead.

Last edited by zilfondel; May 1, 2009 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 9:08 PM
Bombshell Vintage

I love these cycle tracks! I'm excited to see this go in on Broadway. Then we'll see what happens on Cully. Can't wait!

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 7:11 PM

I wish the Broadway track could go the length of downtown...maybe someday soon.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 7:24 PM

This is incredibly good news.

I commute to work on my bike every day (and have done so for the past 2 years), and my ride home takes me up Broadway from Washington all the way past I-405 where I transition onto Barbur.

I have lost track of the number of times I have had close calls on the Broadway bike lane between Jefferson and the 405 overpass. The parking spaces around PSU are heavily used, and I have been cut off, turned into, and nearly run over far too many times for my liking. The fact that there is very heavy bus traffic also makes for a rather treacherous ride since the busses have to turn into the bike lane in order to get to the stops, which either means that I need to merge into a lane of traffic or pull some sprints (who knew? Intervals training on my commute!) to get ahead of the bus before they reach their stop.

The new setup should improve things greatly, and I hope it works well enough to reconfigure some of the other heavy bike corridors in town.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 7:26 PM

Also-- what are the chances of seeing something like this on MLK and Grand? Assuming that the streetcar construction will tear up those streets anyways, wouldn't that be a perfect time to install some bike lanes over there?

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 9:29 PM
Bombshell Vintage

^^^ Indeed. MLK and Grand desperately need bike lanes.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 10:21 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I believe they gave up trying to put bike lanes on MLK/Grand during the streetcar planning process because it was too hard.

Bikeportland had an article about it a few months ago, you could dig it up...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > SSP: Local Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment