HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 4:31 PM

Canada Day

Is anyone going to the big events on Parliament Hill? I find it to often be too politically charged, but I know many enjoy the party!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 5:23 PM

I get off a 24-hour shift at 8am on Canada Day so I'll be sleeping all afternoon likely, but will hit up the festivities in the evening. I always enjoy going to see the buskers on Confederation and Sparks, they really bring their A-game on Canada Day.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 10:58 PM

This is my first Canada day in Ottawa.

What are some of the best things to do?

I live in the Market, so I just assume it'll be jam packed with drunks all night?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Is anyone going to the big events on Parliament Hill? I find it to often be too politically charged, but I know many enjoy the party!
Exactly What part of the politics of just having a good time offend you?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Exactly What part of the politics of just having a good time offend you?
When they throw their own political messages in speeches. It usually happens when the Prime Minister is in desperation mode - such as Paul Martin in 2005 and Stephen Harper now.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 12:28 AM

The Governor General always makes a nice speech on Canada Day and I really like the cultural diversity of all the acts displayed during the day on the various stages. The main stage is for sure the place to be from 7-10pm though I don't know how good Sarah McLaughlin is drunk.....I mean when I'm drunk. In previous years I've been downtown for Blue Rodeo (last year, awesome), Great Big Sea (crazy time), Alanis (local talent representing), and Tom Cochrane ("Play life is a highway!" I yelled over and over until he did). I have seen others but I killed too many brain cells those nights and can't remember. For me, I am really proud to be Canadian and like to be downtown with a hundred thousand people that feel the same as me.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
The Governor General always makes a nice speech on Canada Day and I really like the cultural diversity of all the acts displayed during the day on the various stages. The main stage is for sure the place to be from 7-10pm though I don't know how good Sarah McLaughlin is drunk.....I mean when I'm drunk. In previous years I've been downtown for Blue Rodeo (last year, awesome), Great Big Sea (crazy time), Alanis (local talent representing), and Tom Cochrane ("Play life is a highway!" I yelled over and over until he did). I have seen others but I killed too many brain cells those nights and can't remember. For me, I am really proud to be Canadian and like to be downtown with a hundred thousand people that feel the same as me.
Awesome.

I'm sure I'll partake in a few (dozen) pints on Canada Day, so I'm sure we'll hit up the Hill, Market, and downtown and see all of this.

Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 2:25 PM
Forum officer

Hopefully the weather will be as nice as last summer!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 6:56 PM
CanadiEn errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I've never found the Canada Day celebrations in Ottawa to be particularly political. Lots of blatant nationalism (and even a bit of jingoism thrown in), but then, what "national day" anywhere in the world isn't like that?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 9:49 PM
I'm just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've never found the Canada Day celebrations in Ottawa to be particularly political. Lots of blatant nationalism (and even a bit of jingoism thrown in), but then, what "national day" anywhere in the world isn't like that?
Take a look at the background in hackunion's pictures. The colour behind Canada and the maple leafs is blue. There also happened to be a Conservative government in power last year. Also this year. Hmmmm...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 1:04 PM
CanadiEn errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathgrith View Post
Take a look at the background in hackunion's pictures. The colour behind Canada and the maple leafs is blue. There also happened to be a Conservative government in power last year. Also this year. Hmmmm...
It's par for the course I suppose. Note that the word Canada and the maple leaves are still as Liberal red as always, a reflection of the fact that the Liberals were in power when Canada's modern image branding (new flag, etc.) was developed in the 60s.

I must confess to not paying too much attention to this stuff, as I am politically non-partisan.

So when I say Canada Day in Ottawa is not political, it's mostly because I've never really heard any people walking around downtown Ottawa yelling "yay Harper!", "yay Chrétien!" or "yay Mulroney!" on July 1. (Although perhaps some people were yelling "yay Trudeau!" in the 70s...)

But as I said, a bit of political appropriation is pretty normal on days like these no matter where you are. And Canada Day is a pretty benign example by any standard.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackunion View Post
Hopefully the weather will be as nice as last summer!
Forecast is NOT looking good

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 1:02 PM

It's gloomy, but the forecast is looking a bit better than originally predicted (some rain but not all day). Nonetheless, I'm going to bed.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 8:20 PM

Well, it's been hot and mostly sunny all day. Just got back from downtown and there was a brief downpour around 3:30 pm, which just cooled things pleasantly. hope it stays good for the fireworks. I'm heading down again soon!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation