HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > SSP: Local Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 6:21 PM
A before E

the biggest issue with a ballpark in the Pearl would have to do more with the current residents complaining about it more than anything. A park would do fine there, but it is so after the fact with all the development that has happened in the Pearl, that I think it is too late to build it there.

Now if it was built there back when the Brewery Blocks were being constructed, then it would of been a different story and the northern part of the Pearl would of probably developed differently to reflect the ballpark that was there.

But the reality is, the PPS site is the best site for a MLB park, which if Portland doesnt build a AAA park there, then the city is just wasting money and we might as well let another city throw away money for a minor league team.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 6:46 PM
"Made In Oregon"

I tend to agree with you, urbanlife...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 8:56 PM

I wish the far north Pearl (north of Overton in this case) would have hosted the ballpark. Then that area of the Pearl could have developed even denser (which is already being planned) reminiscent to San Diego's ballpark surroundings. The park could have faced south south-east & got an amazing downtown view. Just FYI (in my dream world) the blocks north of Overton between the Fremont is a larger footprint than the Postal or PPS site.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 4:15 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

The far north part of the Pearl District doesn't have MAX, either. That wouldnt be good. Have any of you been to a Beavers game afterwards? Every MAX train out of there is packed full like a sardine can.

2009 - 15,749 | 2010 - 17,576 | 2011 - 18,257 | 2012 - 18,794

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 6:40 PM

^ I would consider 6 blocks away to have Max access at Union Station.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 8:14 PM

the post office land is way, way too valuable to the City to be putting a ballpark there. that will suck too much of the tax base away. i simply cannot see the zoning happening there that would allow for a stadium. once it's freed up it will be marketed as a premier spot for a corporate campus, with a whole lot of mixed-use pieces.

while i have advocated for the PIR site, i still believe that the Blanchard site would provide the most advantageous spot based on existing infrastructure (parking, max, future streetcar, freeway, and proximity to downtown). all that needs is some political will and massive dollars. should be easy, right?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 11:16 PM

The PO site should be our version of Salt Lake's new City Creek Development! I'm being told in the SLC city compilation thread that their development is worlds ahead of anything in Portland.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > SSP: Local Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment