HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 4:36 AM

Bought in Claridge Plaza II

Hey guys, I am just new to this forum but just bought a 2 bedroom + den in Claridge Plaza II. I'm reading up on the threads for Claridge Plaza I and II and I see that there are a lot of people that are highly/extremely critical of this building, when lets say in comparision with the Charlesfort: Hudson Park or whatever. I'd have to say most of it is opinionated but really is there any actual significant deficiency in these buildings? My mom has a Claridge home in the Orleans area and she loves it and seems to be built quite well.

In my opinion these are some of the reasons why I bought in the Claridge building.

My idea of walking into a condo should be like a hotel entrance, a big open entrance, nice marble on the floor, security and great wood accents. When I walked into CP I, I was quite impressed with the entrance, it looks like exactly what I pictured a semi-"luxury" condo entrance should look like.

In comparision with the Hudson park, even though Charlesfort seems to be infallible on this site, it doesn't have a "grand" entrance. My friend lives in there and I honestly was expecting more. The entrance is quite plain, not to mention the huge stairway that is in the way when you walk through the main doors. The main entrance is also quite small. It does have an art deco look which is quite cool but too much red paint.

I also want hallways that are also "grand" when coming out of the elevators to your unit. I mean this is the entrance way that any visitor or potential buyer is going to be walking into. The CP I and II have nice marble tiles on the floor and the hallways are wide, like an open area - big mirror faces the elevators etc.

In comparison to Hudson park, when the elevators open - it honestly seems like a regular apartment hallway. There is no tile on the floor and right as the elevators open you hit the solid wall for the hallway, literally 5 feet ahead of you. I would have expected that they put some nice tile on the floor at least, I mean seriously carpet all the way to the elevator? Where are the wood accents? Did they forget about them? Moreover, the hallways are simply 5 feet wide regular hallways that I'd see in a regular plain apartment building - although they throw in the 1 piece of art deco artwork at the end of the hallway. I just really felt that this was too plain and I was quite surprised, especially with all of the exuberance people here are raving about.

CP I and II has a pool and huge open area

Hudson Park has no pool and tiny roof top patio, but I like the white outdoor funiture though

Finally it is small details, like doorway frames. In CP I and II they have nice wood frame finishes around the doorways to the units, similar to the Galleria. Hudson park just has plain metal painted door frames. I simply expected more, especially for the price.

More importantly, I also picked this building because of the location. Being only in my late 20's I wanted to live downtown in the market and CP I and II are in the perfect location. The Charlesfort complex is way down on Kent, which is still a 20 minute walk to the market or cab ride. Restaurant are pretty far away etc ... Personally, I think that this is one of the main selling features for me.

Things I like about Hudson Park, their balconies are very nice and kind of tucked into the folds of the building. They are big and quite sheltered from the elements. As for the outside design of the building, it is more detailed than the CP I and II, but it is a very opinionated question. CP I and II is more basic design, less flashy, while Hudson Park is like it fell out of Gotham City from Batman.

These are a few things I like and dislike about CP I and II. I like the fact that it has 1st floor commercial space. This is convenient for quick shopping: Rexall and also for the Coffee enthusiasts, as Starbucks is supposed to move into the presentation center. I dislike the fact that the Trucks are travelling down King Edward, at least until the bridge is finally built (which will probably be 10 years from now anyways, and I'll be selling my unit) but regardless the Trucks are not cool. The homeless are slightly rampant in that area, although I don't see many hanging out in front (good thing I have a Rideau facing unit).

Although, that being said it is downtown living and since I've lived on Front & Blue Jay way in downtown TO, really homeless is part of the downtown experience ... lol ... Seriously, it's not that bad.

Anyways those were just my 2cents and I really can't wait until it is finally built and I can move in. Look foward to reading all of your comments.

Last edited by AznHalf; Aug 14, 2009 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 9:37 AM

WRT to CP1, there was some sort of pipe leak issue I vaguely recall. I have no idea how widespread it was, nor do I have any links. I also have no idea how it relates to their overall build quality reputation.

I like your thoughts about the entrances and hallways. East Market is so underwhelming in that respect, although the board here in our phase did a good job recently by at least adding some class with some wood-esque material, and some brushed metal of some kind, and dark paint instead of blue and orange ugliness.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 12:46 PM

The problem with your mentality is that you are putting too much emphasis on aesthetics IMO. That is something that can always be improved. The problem with Claridge is their tarnished reputation in the industry. From what I gathered thus far, their business goal is to find a prime location, build lots of units cheaply, sweeten the appearance by using some nice material in the common areas (which costs them nothing), then charge a premium $/sf. That tactic has worked on many people, especially on people not familiar with the developer or real estate, people that got sold on the location and some seemingly high-class feel in the lobby.

In reality, Claridge has left a trail of mishaps in its portfolio:
- major flood in CP1
- simliar problems at 700 Sussex (confirmed by the flooring company for the building)
- a multi-million dollar lawsuit against Claridge filed by owners of a Claridge building on Wurtemburg St. for some major design and building flaws (it is not yet made public as they have not yet made it to court; they may want to settle before bringing to court to avoid bad publicity)
- the in-suite finishes are quite crappy
- service is below par and untimely

The above are issues that I am only aware of; there may be many others for other buildings. And I haven't even mentioned how bleh their designs are architectually (think Lebreton Flats, CP, 700 Sussex, actually all their buildings).

Many people in Ottawa are aware of the builder's below-average quality in construction. That is not good news for someone who invests in a Claridge building from an investor's perspective as it places a cap on the price, and reduces the potential buyers.

You probably noticed that I haven't mentioned anything about Charlesfort or Hudson Park. Because I have purchased in HP, I don't want it to look like I am promoting the developer or building. Their quality and reputation in construction and service already speak for themselves.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 10:07 PM

Well I know for certain that Charlesfort's "The Glasgow" had flooding aswell becuase my cousin bought in there, in one of the upper units and she was out of her unit for months, moved back home in the meantime - it was something about the snow build-up on the roof and thaw. I'm talking about the building right near the McDonald's on Bronson St., I believe that is a Charlesfort building. BTW, yeah great looking building, but really bad bad location.

Anyways, I'm not sure why my criticisms of HP are only deemed as "The problem with your mentality is that you are putting too much emphasis on aesthetics "
I actually believe I'm talking about structural layout, rather than simple aesthetics. For instance in not having a pool, hallways being "ungrand" 5-6 feet wide and main entrance being blocked by a huge staircase that comes out of nowhere. Ohh, also add only 2 elevators.

But, I realized that after reading your post that your criticisms, besides the similar flooding in "The Glasgow", are quite aethetically based. For instance "And I haven't even mentioned how bleh their designs are architectually (think Lebreton Flats, CP, 700 Sussex, actually all their buildings" Which I completely agree, Claridges designs are more simple and less flashy. Plus Lebretton building is absolute garbage - I wouldn't buy there even if they gave $100k off, it is really bad - worst building I went into (carpet right to elevators, entrance was blocked by mail boxes that stand out of nowhere, really ugly outside) Sales person wasn't even enthused and frankly, I think, she agreed with my displeasure, although, she did say that the city caused a lot of problems on what Claridge could build there. But Lebretton is a disaster, complete disaster IMO). 700 Sussex, I like it, clean lines, nice and simple, not gaudy like out of Gotham City etc ...

To address your other points;

the in-suite finishes are quite crappy - not sure about that, its quite opinionated. My friends unit in HP is quite nice, but then again with upgraded cabinets, granite thickness, transparent glass bowl sink in washroom, upgraded kitchen taps and fosset and crown molding - what should I expect.

But, honestly how can you compare interior finishes, I bet behind the cabinet doors its all still made out of compress board. Now if it was built out of oak, then I'd say you had a point, but seriously condo builders save money at every chance they get. I didn't really see any Walmart brand fossets or doorknobs in CP I, while HP has expensive stuff. What do you mean by "in-suite finishes" ???

I am not defending this solely because I have bought in the building, I could have bought in HP aswell, but for the reasons listed in my first post - I chose not to buy there (location, hallway size, stairway in the way, elevators, no pool etc ...). I think those are quite valid reasons, not asthetic reasons. Ohh, and yes I agree I really like the "sweetened asthetics" in the common areas in CP I and II, I like big wide grand hallways that make me feel like I'm in a 5 star hotel. Although, maybe not the best reason this is what will resell my unit. Why doesn't Charlesfort do these structural changes to their hallways, it doesn't take a genius. Why are the outsides of Charlesfort buildings supposed to be the "cat's meow" yet, the inside are just the opposite? Really, I could use your approach and say that Charlesfort is just being "cheap" and cramming as many "cheap" units in the buildings as possible. But, that I feel is not a valid arguement IMO.

You are completely right when you say this about Claridge "From what I gathered thus far, their business goal is to find a prime location,". My question to you is why aren't all the Charlesfort developments in such "prime" locations? Seriously, I think the best located Charlesfort building is the one that is on the corner of Queen and Bronson. If Charlesfort HP was built on Rideau St. they'd be set for at least another $50k per unit, than where it is located now. Location, location, location.

I guess time will tell. Good thing I bought in CP II, like buying a new 1st edition model car, let them work out the bugs first.

Last edited by AznHalf; Aug 14, 2009 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 10:58 PM

You were asking for comments, so I provided some for you.

Incidentally, I am not sure of the reason behind posting your first message. What were you trying to get out of it? It's not as if you are trying to make a decision on whether you should buy and were seeking opinions...you already bought the unit at CP. What was your point in posting? Were you trying to make yourself feel better in your decision? Just curious...

And the fact you have chosen to compare CP with Hudson Park and not any other condos of closer proximity is interesting. It sort of reminds me of the TV commercial comparing the value of the Kia (?) car with the Mini.

With regards to location, I don't know why HP's location is crappy. CP is close to the Market and Rideau Centre whereas HP is close to the CBD and Chinatown. I like the HP location better, for the exact reasons you indicated--less homeless people in the area, chances of getting run over by trucks are lower, plus much quieter.

Anyways, it's not my style to knock any development or excessively praise my own, unless provoked. Each has its own pros and cons, and we all have our own opinions and likes/dislikes. I am happy with my purchase, and likewise you seem to be with yours. CP is in a good looking building in a great location.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 1:07 AM

Yeah, no I just chose HP simply because I had been reading up on the CP I and II post and it is littered with criticism with direct comparision to the "all hailed" Charlesfort builder.

I've seen both and really just wanted to give heed to a dissenting view here on the forums.

What I'm sure of is that every builder runs into problems, like the Glasgow or CP I. I hardly doubt that even the worst builder in Ottawa's houses or buildings will fall apart. I just challenge this overwhelming idea that Charlesfort is this untouchable pinnacle.

We even have people dissing 700, which is most likely Ottawa's most expensive condo building, saying it's cheap. Just to me sounds like childish envy.

I've been searching around everywhere and haven't been able to find any legit reviews or articles about quality of builders - pro or con for either builder. If they're out there please post for me.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 9:13 AM

Selecting the right builder rationale

Anyone remembers how many awards Claridge has won? Anyone remembers how many awards Charlesfort won, including best builder in Ontario?

In 2000, Charlesfort was the recipient of the Ernest Assaly Award for “Best Condominium High Rise Builder” in the Province of Ontario, an award presented by the Tarion Corporation (formerly the Ontario New Home Warranty Program). Building, a national architecture and development magazine, selected Charlesfort as “Developer of the Year” in 2002.

Good luck with your Claridge condo, I hope you love it and your new neighbors. We lived in Sandy Hill for many years and moved to Westboro last year. While we recognize that homeless shelters are a reality of life in 2009, we elected to not be in a neighborhood where you are offered crack on Rideau street at 9 pm right across from the Bytowne. Location, location, location!

Last edited by Skipper; Aug 15, 2009 at 9:34 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 1:05 PM

This is kind of an odd thread. Absent serious problems with a particular project, the purchaser's perceptions would seem to rule - as long as she/he is happy with her/his decision, everything else seems irrelevant to me, particularly comparisons between purchasers who obviously bring differing priorities to their purchasing decisions. I suppose the "proof", if there is any, will be in future resale values.

That said, developers in town have reputations that are based (accurately or not) on their products. If one were to say "Ashcroft, Claridge, Domicile, Charlesfort, Routeburn" in this town, most people who take an interest in such things would be able to place them in order based on reputation for quality.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 5:33 PM

Observations from a resident

I have been renting in phase one of the Claridge Plaza for almost a year. I recently bought a townhouse in centretown and will be moving shortly. A few observations on the Claridge Plaza:

Positive

Location is great - three minutes walking to the market or rideau centre and even closer to the beer, liquor, grocery and drug stores.

Views are good on most sides even from units that aren't that high.

The daytime security guy is excellent.

I would agree that the lobby has a hotel-like look, although it is a very particular style that a lot of people wouldn't like and I'm not sure how well it will wear (can't just slap paint on a wood panel).

Negative

In the unit

(note I am a tenant and the owner and property manager have not pressured Claridge to fix the problems - it may well be they would fix these problems if pressed by the owner)

One of the supports under a cupboard was broken from day one (I assume broken by the furnace installer before the cupboard doors were attached).

The tube connecting the dryer to the vent was taped on and fell off after 2-3 uses.

The hardwood floor creaks like an old house.

The linen closet door has never closed properly.

The base appliances in the kitchen are terrible (major freezer burn within a few days no matter what the temperature setting, stove is not a self-clean model, dishwasher does not clean anything below the heaviest setting). I don't expect fancy appliances to be the default, but they should be functional.

Common Areas

The pool is tiny, even by condo standards.

The "gym" is small, has limited equipment, no proper climate control (never the right temperature) and has a very low ceiling (anyone over about 5'10" would probably hit their head using the treadmill).

The moving procedure is ridiculous. Movers have to unload at the loading dock and haul everything by cart down the ramp to the P1 level (i.e. there is no link from the loading dock to the elevators). This adds 2-3 hours to any move and makes it difficult to get furniture delivered.

The "terrace" has a few patio stones and a few planters. This would have been a good spot for a green roof (or rooftop garden) but the roof is covered in gravel.

The elevators have been problematic from day one.

No landscaping was ever done - the building is surrounded by weeds and dirt on 2 sides.

Demographics

I previously lived in the East Market which was mostly young professionals with a few empty-nesters and most units were owner-occupied. There appear to be few white collar workers in the building and a lot of students or people that seem to work in the service industry. I realize I am stereotyping a little, but I am guessing there are a lot of units being rented out (or owned by parents) which is not good for the long term viability of the building.

The Flood

It seems to me it is not just a problem that a pipe burst and flooded half the building, but that it took a long time (months I think) before crews showed up to fix the flooded units.

Trucks

This isn't Claridge’s fault, but all four streets surrounding the complex are used by trucks, nearly 24/7. In addition, Rideau is a major bus route and Cumberland is the main route into the market for the Laurier fire station. I find it almost impossible to leave a window open or use my balcony.

I hope that phase 2 has fewer problems and that you're happy with your unit, I would advise that you pester Claridge until things get fixed. There seems to be a general pattern of poor quality control and cutting corners even when the savings are minimal (what would two feet of pipe for the dryer vent have cost?) If quality control is limited for cosmetic things, I wonder how many hidden problems future owners will be stuck with. Based on my experience with the Claridge Plaza, and what I've heard about other Claridge buildings (including very high-end units like 700 Sussex), I told my real estate agent I didn't want to see anything Claridge built (my own opinion of course, I'm sure many people are happy with Claridge).

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 7:08 PM

This thread seems all over the place, don't quiet understand the point... but it can be compared to "why people purchase for example a Louis Vuitton bag".

One would purchase the bag because of "quality", "longevity" & "durability"... Even after a few years of use, you can still sell it for the same price and make your money back, or even sell it for more since it was a limited edition and "sought after"...

On the other hand, one would buy it because "everyone else has one" & "it's going to make me look good" & "What the heck, a fake one would do too, as long as people see I have one and I look cool"

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznHalf View Post
Well I know for certain that Charlesfort's "The Glasgow" had flooding aswell becuase my cousin bought in there, in one of the upper units and she was out of her unit for months, moved back home in the meantime - it was something about the snow build-up on the roof and thaw. I'm talking about the building right near the McDonald's on Bronson St., I believe that is a Charlesfort building. BTW, yeah great looking building, but really bad bad location.
My friend lives there... never heard of the flooding. Oh well...

I don't understand how can you compare the "Glassgow" and CP I & II?

The lofts are actually beautiful, but I do agree with you on the location. It's a very bad location IMO. Although some people enjoy that end of town. Also keep in mind if they built that exact condo in downtown, the price would fly through the roof. At least at this location they made them somewhat affordable... Although I would never pay half a mil for something out of downtown

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 1:21 AM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I have been renting in phase one of the Claridge Plaza for almost a year. I recently bought a townhouse in centretown and will be moving shortly. A few observations on the Claridge Plaza:

Positive

Location is great - three minutes walking to the market or rideau centre and even closer to the beer, liquor, grocery and drug stores.

Views are good on most sides even from units that aren't that high.

The daytime security guy is excellent.

I would agree that the lobby has a hotel-like look, although it is a very particular style that a lot of people wouldn't like and I'm not sure how well it will wear (can't just slap paint on a wood panel).

Negative

In the unit

(note I am a tenant and the owner and property manager have not pressured Claridge to fix the problems - it may well be they would fix these problems if pressed by the owner)

One of the supports under a cupboard was broken from day one (I assume broken by the furnace installer before the cupboard doors were attached).

The tube connecting the dryer to the vent was taped on and fell off after 2-3 uses.

The hardwood floor creaks like an old house.

The linen closet door has never closed properly.

The base appliances in the kitchen are terrible (major freezer burn within a few days no matter what the temperature setting, stove is not a self-clean model, dishwasher does not clean anything below the heaviest setting). I don't expect fancy appliances to be the default, but they should be functional.

Common Areas

The pool is tiny, even by condo standards.

The "gym" is small, has limited equipment, no proper climate control (never the right temperature) and has a very low ceiling (anyone over about 5'10" would probably hit their head using the treadmill).

The moving procedure is ridiculous. Movers have to unload at the loading dock and haul everything by cart down the ramp to the P1 level (i.e. there is no link from the loading dock to the elevators). This adds 2-3 hours to any move and makes it difficult to get furniture delivered.

The "terrace" has a few patio stones and a few planters. This would have been a good spot for a green roof (or rooftop garden) but the roof is covered in gravel.

The elevators have been problematic from day one.

No landscaping was ever done - the building is surrounded by weeds and dirt on 2 sides.

Demographics

I previously lived in the East Market which was mostly young professionals with a few empty-nesters and most units were owner-occupied. There appear to be few white collar workers in the building and a lot of students or people that seem to work in the service industry. I realize I am stereotyping a little, but I am guessing there are a lot of units being rented out (or owned by parents) which is not good for the long term viability of the building.

The Flood

It seems to me it is not just a problem that a pipe burst and flooded half the building, but that it took a long time (months I think) before crews showed up to fix the flooded units.

Trucks

This isn't Claridge’s fault, but all four streets surrounding the complex are used by trucks, nearly 24/7. In addition, Rideau is a major bus route and Cumberland is the main route into the market for the Laurier fire station. I find it almost impossible to leave a window open or use my balcony.

I hope that phase 2 has fewer problems and that you're happy with your unit, I would advise that you pester Claridge until things get fixed. There seems to be a general pattern of poor quality control and cutting corners even when the savings are minimal (what would two feet of pipe for the dryer vent have cost?) If quality control is limited for cosmetic things, I wonder how many hidden problems future owners will be stuck with. Based on my experience with the Claridge Plaza, and what I've heard about other Claridge buildings (including very high-end units like 700 Sussex), I told my real estate agent I didn't want to see anything Claridge built (my own opinion of course, I'm sure many people are happy with Claridge).

Well said. I could not agree more with what you have written, both positive and negative.

Poor quality and cutting corners is very common with a few of Ottawa's condo builders. Maybe it is due to the fact that Claridge has tried to take the lead in local condo developments. These local companies such as claridge, had little to no experience in highrise condo construction and all they wanted to do was make their name and mark in ottawa's unchartered waters.

To make a long story short, if the City's planning dept. would ease restrictions on thier limits, we would have a more competitive industry which would force the "quality" factor.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 4:26 AM

ACOttawa, thanks for the great post. Detailed and balanced on pro's and con's. This gives me some insights as to what to expect/upgrade (in terms of the appliances - which I plan on upgrading at the Brick before I move in).

Yeah I was aware of the tiny gym area, the gym in CP II is supposed to be twice the size - or so the sales lady said.

As for the hardwood floors, I was actually wondering if I should just tear them all out and get my own installed. I already asked them if I could just get it not installed in the first place - but they need to, which is standard code for allowing the owner in. I'll keep an "ear" out for the floors, if they creak.

Any idea why it takes so long for them to react? My mom has a Claridge home in Orleans and they were extremely timely if they had to come to look at something. For instance, her backyard has a sewer grate in it and the earth has sunken away from the grate. She called the city and they told her the builder was responsible, they were there within 3 days to fix it.

I'd like to get more views from people who actually live in the building - this gives me better insights than random comments from other people.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 1:01 PM

The Brick!!!??? I sense another set of posts coming on comparing the reputation of appliance vendors in Ottawa. AznHalf, are you doing this on purpose?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor2Ott View Post
You probably noticed that I haven't mentioned anything about Charlesfort or Hudson Park. Because I have purchased in HP, I don't want it to look like I am promoting the developer or building. Their quality and reputation in construction and service already speak for themselves.
But, but ...you just did! (just razzing)

One common theme you'll notice AznHalf is that everyone values different things. One great example is the Lebreton building nobody likes. For me, there are a couple of floorplans that I like and the location is very convenient for my work so I would absolutely like to live there (things like entrance ways, hallways, exterior building design have little to no impact on my decision). In the end however, I decided not to purchase there due to price (which I feel is a bit high given the general negativity of the project).

The reputation of a builder will also be an important factor for some while not for others. I have to say that I have quickly become a fan of Charlesfort in the past couple of months (if anyone has a petition started to get them to build in the market then show me where to sign! ). A couple of months ago though, just prior to my search for a resale condo in Ottawa, I had not heard of them. In fact, while searching and viewing places, I didn't pay any attention at all to who the builders were (I bet that many buyers don't even ask).

I think you're going to like your condo because of the primary reason you listed for buying it ...location! I'm currently renting in the East Market which is nearby and really enjoy it for this reason. Of course, there are several cons to living there as people have listed but (for me) they are all outweighed by the conveniences.

PS Although I have been reading this forum for a couple of months, this is my first post and just wanted to thank everyone here for all that I've learned! I came to learn about the condo market and find that I'm learning lots about Ottawa as a city which was an unexpected bonus!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 2:41 PM

A lot of people are coming out of the woodwork lately. Welcome everyone, thanks for the lively discussion

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 9:59 PM

House builders Satisfaction Survey - J.D. Powers

To whom was interested, here is the link to the latest J.D. Powers New Home Satisfaction. Charlesfort is not listed, probably because they are not considered as a large builder yet!

You will note that Claridge scored as an "about average builder".

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2009146

Enjoy the reading

Cheers

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
To whom was interested, here is the link to the latest J.D. Powers New Home Satisfaction. Charlesfort is not listed, probably because they are not considered as a large builder yet!

You will note that Claridge scored as an "about average builder".

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2009146

Enjoy the reading

Cheers
The ranking is based on new home builders, not highrise developments. It's in the highrise building that Claridge has had issues.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 1:20 AM

I think what people should take from this thread is to take everything you read on this board with a grain of salt. People speculating on values or even problems at certain buildings don't necessarily have all of the real facts.

Do your own research by speaking with people in those buildings. Their are people on this board that have made up their mind that Charlesfort is the only builder they like and everybody else sucks and they use every morsel of information to justify why they paid such a hefty price.

An example is the number of complaints you see on the CP forum regarding the spandrel panel colour, but Charlesfort used the same colour on the top of HP and nobody makes a peep.

My own experience with Claridge have been good and I have made better returns on the resale than several of the more popular condos buildings on this board.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 4:46 PM

Condo builders are in competition which is why there is the variety, location, pricing, and features. Don't think these guys are cutting cheques to build without proper study. This is why owners all think their own condo is just right. This shows the builder got it right and fit the owner's personal niche demand to the product they offer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion