HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 10:40 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.artnet.com/magazineus/fea...er08-17-09.asp

NOUVEL RICHE

Amanda Burden

Jean Nouvel
Photo from the New York Times

by Charlie Finch

Happily, I lead a dull life. I like to lie in my hammock swatting mosquitoes and then watch City Planning Commission hearings on CityTV, New York City’s own television station (which is the subject of a brilliant expose of its logrolling corruption by Tom Robbins in the current Village Voice). The Planning Commission is chaired by the late CBS boss William Paley’s stepdaughter, Amanda Burden, widow of Vanderbilt heir Carter Burden, former consort of Ted Kennedy (long ago) and Charlie Rose, and best friend of Mayor Forever Mike Bloomberg.

At the CPC hearings, Amanda is surrounded by various rubes and hacks from the outer boroughs (her fellow commission members) whose job appears to be holding up Ms. Burden’s chiseled face, which has the texture of a Brazil nut, by an invisible thread. Otherwise, they just rubberstamp architectural improvements for the rest of us, especially when a museum comes a calling, for the museum elites are the special familiars of Amanda.

Last week, French architect Jean Nouvel arrived to testify. He is so tall that he could hold up a giant turkey wishbone to God, make a wish and snap it, holding half a bone in his huge, meaty hand. And this is precisely what he proposes to build atop the Museum of Modern Art, a sinewy spinal column with galleries and condos as tall as the Empire State Building.

Far be it for the MoMA to give us all a breather to absorb the Taniguchi expansion, with its ominous indoor suicide leaps and mall-neutral gallery boxes. No, MoMA’s board must thrust this bony finger towards the sky, if for no other reason than to thumb its nose at desperate recherché institutions such as St. Thomas Episcopal Church and the University Club which, desperate for funds, have sold their air rights to MoMA to make Nouvels’ giant skeleton key possible.

Mr. Nouvel, resembling Gerard Depardieu and sounding like Inspector Clouseau, brought some fascinating drawings, interior photos of the proposed superneedle, which made its apartments look like cells on Devil’s Island, and a comely young male assistant to the CPC. Recognized by pal Amanda, Nouvel launched into an oratorical flourish about his influences, his spontaneous drawings, his love of the Manhattan sky, which was rather entertaining, when, after two minutes (120 seconds), Ms. Burden rang a bell and announced, "Your time is up."

A flustered Nouvel, still soaring like Le Petit Prince, loudly objected. "Those are the rules," Amanda primly replied. Indeed, those are still the rules of our oligarchic city: anyone may speak for just two minutes and another ugly edifice which no one wants will destroy a bit of midtown life forever.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:45 PM

Sounds like the only object the size of the Empire State Building is the stick up this guy's ass.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 12:02 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Sounds like the only object the size of the Empire State Building is the stick up this guy's ass.
If you’re referring to Nouvel, he wouldn’t be doing his job nor displaying true passion for his work if he didn’t raise a fight to see it become a reality. I don’t think anyone here is a stranger to the reality that is the NYC City Planning Commission, where such offensive behavior is warranted to see something sought through.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 12:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
If you’re referring to Nouvel, he wouldn’t be doing his job nor displaying true passion for his work if he didn’t raise a fight to see it become a reality. I don’t think anyone here is a stranger to the reality that is the NYC City Planning Commission,
I think it was a reference to the guy who wrote that last piece, and if so, I agree. Anyway, I think its a done deal as far as the Planning Commission goes, the only objective now would be the City Council...

Quote:
Asked by fellow commissioner Kenneth Knuckles how she would be voting on the project, chair Amanda Burden gamely demurred, saying she was withholding judgment until the actual vote. And yet at the same time, she seemed to be leaning strongly in favor of the project.

“We’re an optimistic city, we’re a skyscraper city, so this project would not be out of place” Burden said. “It must be iconic, it must be distinguished. To get to that height in the sky, it’s got to be great.
I don’t have a problem with the height. But let’s see it, and see where it falls with the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building and if it deserves it.”

Burden added, underscoring the commission’s concern with preserving the building as designed over other issues, “It’s very important how we memorialize and freeze critical design elements.” This way, the commissioners believe, and the applicant, Hines, seems to agree, Nouvel’s tower and nothing else would or even could be built there.
I agree with all of the above...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
If you’re referring to Nouvel
uaarkson was not talking about Nouvel but was instead talking about this moron, NIMBY disguised as an "arts" journalist, Charlie Finch.

Any artist that's worth anything would know that this Nouvel tower represents the very pinnacle of artistic expression. Perhaps this Charlie Finch douchebag will be happier if this city was instead full of shorter, smaller McSams.

He's already lost all his credibility when he called this tower ugly.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 1:28 AM

i hate his style of writing... his smug nose is probably higher than this tower

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Yeah, move to Long Island. Or better, yet, move to LA!!!
LA has skyscrapers too! Wisconsin might be a better choice.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

[b][size=1]Amanda Burden

The Planning Commission is chaired by the late CBS boss William Paley’s stepdaughter, Amanda Burden
Wow, really? I guess I now know the best way to get new development approved in this city.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 8:32 PM
DENNAB

Wow, this tower is really cool, but it seems unlikely that something that high would get built in midtown though.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Wow, this tower is really cool, but it seems unlikely that something that high would get built in midtown though.
Uhhhh where else is it going to go in New York City? Downtown has no more room, and Brooklyn is only building 500 footers. The only way it won't happen is if they listen to those NIMBYs Fortunately, the project is already approved for an 1100 footer

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 1:36 AM
DENNAB

^From what I've read on it, they are listening to the NIMBY's. 1100 feet is a stretch, so 1250 seems unlikely for midtown, the last building of such enormous height to go up there was the Empire State Building, almost 80 years ago

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 1:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
^From what I've read on it, they are listening to the NIMBY's. 1100 feet is a stretch, so 1250 seems unlikely for midtown, the last building of such enormous height to go up there was the Empire State Building, almost 80 years ago
That doesn't even make a little sense. There is no height limit there, the developer is seeking special permits for the bulk at ground level, and combining the development rights obtained from the landmark buildings. Furthermore, the Bank of America tower is 1,200 ft - a fact pointed out by the NIMBYs themselves.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 10:39 PM
Vamotabbe Pa

Quote:
A

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That doesn't even make a little sense. There is no height limit there, the developer is seeking special permits for the bulk at ground level, and combining the development rights obtained from the landmark buildings. Furthermore, the Bank of America tower is 1,200 ft - a fact pointed out by the NIMBYs themselves.
B

eeehr.., A or B?

Multiple Choise perhaps??

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 10:48 PM
World Machine

Quote:
^From what I've read on it, they are listening to the NIMBY's.
Don’t spread rumors around unless you can back them up. As for your assessment on height, 1,250’ is neither alien nor an unrealistic reality for a Midtown skyscraper. If anything it’s been 80 years too long.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 12:03 AM

Not too mention this is very close to the Upper East Side and we all know how UESiders love trendy buildings. I trully hope this project proceeds unfettered. It is the most exciting building design in the world IMO currently.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 2:57 AM

[QUOTE=NYguy;2919766]
rendering from the NY Times

I like that tower. When and where in NY is that being built?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 4:07 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy1979 View Post
Wisconsin might be a better choice.
We have skyscrapers too! Grrr......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTowersForever
I like that tower. When and where in NY is that being built?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=133753

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 5:12 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Skyline View Post
A
B

eeehr.., A or B?

Multiple Choise perhaps??

There is nothing about height being decided for the Tower Verre. It's that simple.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 5:23 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I guess right now is as good a time as ever to post Hugh Ferriss' NY zoning envelope studies:

pedshed.net

These drawings show Ferriss' method of designing a skyscraper to fit into NY's strict zoning restrictions.

The first image shows a theoretical 'envelope' which literally shows the extent to which one can build on a whole standard Manhattan block. This is the most important to us, as it shows how a Manhattan skyscrapers' height is not limited, but its' mass is, in certain areas. MoMA is not too tall; it is too fat, and modestly extends beyond the zoning envelope. Nouvel is seeking approval from the zoning committee for those extended areas, not for a height increase.

In the second image, Ferriss removes parts of the buildings mass to allow sunlight and air to penetrate interior spaces (mostly irrelevant today with fluorescent lighting and air considitioning).

Ferriss, in the third image, intersects the theoretical form into a floor by floor translation, and

in the fourth image, he simplifies it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 5:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
The first image shows a theoretical 'envelope' which literally shows the extent to which one can build on a whole standard Manhattan block. This is the most important to us, as it shows how a Manhattan skyscrapers' height is not limited, but its' mass is, in certain areas. MoMA is not too tall; it is too fat, and modestly extends beyond the zoning envelope. Nouvel is seeking approval from the zoning committee for those extended areas, not for a height increase.
That's exactly it, and a perfect time to show this:

And although this one is tall, it's definitely one of the "smaller" towers in the area...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive