HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #581  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 7:56 AM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post


usc digital archive
Hehe for some reason I imagine "The Music Man" here and singing the praises of a monorail which everyone falls for but they're duped into a big fraud project that would never fly.
__________________
Patriotism is an inflated assertion of imaginary superiority.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #582  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 7:58 AM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
Wow. Nice!!! The sign could be as much as 70+ years old, though it's more likely from sometime in the 1940s. That's still pretty darned old!

http://www.caltrafficsigns.com/history.php

I'm really surprised to see this sign is still in use. Someone in the road department in South Pasadena is probably sentimental about it and that's why it's still up there!

On my recent trip to L.A., I saw one overpass sign on the Pasadena Freeway that was still one of the So. Cal. Auto Club porcelain steel signs. I would bet there are less than 100 of those type signs still in use in the southland today. I'd even go so far as to say less than 50...
Thanks for the link, LA Past. I figured that the sign must be at least from the 1940s. When I first moved to South Pasadena I noticed a sign near the San Marino border, I think it was a "SOUTH PASADENA CITY LIMIT" sign, black lettering on a white background, with the So. California Auto Club logo on it. Some years later it was replaced with a modern sign. I thought it was a shame, I regretted not having taken a picture of it.
__________________
Patriotism is an inflated assertion of imaginary superiority.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #583  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 8:03 AM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 3,380
Regarding the pronunciation of "Los Angeles," it seemed that there were generations of British people who would say "Los ANN-juh-leez." In the 1990s I worked with a guy from Hong Kong who spoke English with a British accent and he also would say "Los ANN-juh-leez."
__________________
Patriotism is an inflated assertion of imaginary superiority.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #584  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 12:02 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 12,793
Union Stage Depot located at 5th Street & Los Angeles Street in 1932.



usc digital archive



I'm not familiar with this depot....anyone know the details?
What is a 'stage' depot?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 24, 2009 at 1:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #585  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 12:36 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 12,793
The Santa Fe Station, Los Angeles.



usc digital archive


I LOVE the dog on the horse's back.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #586  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 12:43 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 12,793
Another fine photograph of the Santa Fe Station in Los Angeles.



usc digital archive
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #587  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 12:55 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 12,793
The Southern Pacific Station on Central Ave. between 5th and 7th Street.



usc digital archive




usc digital archive
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #588  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 1:01 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 12,793
The Santa Monica Depot in 1888.



usc digital archive




Below: Santa Monica Depot in 1895.



usc digital archive

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 4, 2015 at 1:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #589  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 2:13 AM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Union Stage Depot located at 5th Street & Los Angeles Street in 1932.



usc digital archive



I'm not familiar with this depot....anyone know the details?
What is a 'stage' depot?
I did a quick search and it turns out that this was a bus depot for Original Stage Lines, Mt. Wilson Stages and Inland Stages. I assume those were bus companies. Interesting pics, btw! That Santa Fe La Grand station looked really monumental; that was the train station that some Olympic athletes arrived at from across country during the 1932 Summer Olympics, according to the LAPL's pics I posted in that 1932 Olympics thread.
__________________
Patriotism is an inflated assertion of imaginary superiority.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #590  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 6:12 AM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 3,380
Looking north on Spring from 2nd, 1939

USC archive

Northwest corner of Hill and 7th, 1939

USC archive

Of COURSE it's 1939; "Dark Victory" is playing!
__________________
Patriotism is an inflated assertion of imaginary superiority.

Last edited by sopas ej; Nov 25, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #591  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 4:13 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 12,793
^^^Two VERY beautiful photographs sopas_ej.

Also thanks for the information regarding the Union Stage Depot.
I guess if I had thought about a bit more, I might have correlated
stages with buses. Also in the photograph (of the Union Stage Depot)
you can see where the buses entered on the far right in the photo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #592  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 5:56 AM
Los Angeles Past Los Angeles Past is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Northwest corner of Hill and 7th, 1939

USC archive

Of COURSE it's 1939; "Dark Victory" is playing!

Here's another that must have been taken near in time to the one above (note the "Dark Victory" ad facing the parking lot). It's the 900 block of South Broadway...




My mom had her picture taken by a street photographer near here in 1936.

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Dec 25, 2017 at 5:30 AM. Reason: Repaired broken image link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #593  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 11:23 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 12,793
^^^That's a great shot....love all the signs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #594  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 2:18 AM
Johnny Socko's Avatar
Johnny Socko Johnny Socko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 52
Thanks to Los Angeles Past for referring me to this thread. I read the whole thing during my free time over two days this week, and I saw so many cool things that relate to me in some way.

Last month, someone posted conceptual images of a proposed Music Center located at 6th & Hoover. Interesting, because that development would've wiped-out the building I live in (as well as my entire block)! If you look at the concept art you will see two unidentified streets: The one that forks off of Hoover is Occidental Blvd, and the parallel street to the east is Lafayette Park Place. The music center would've gone in the land between those two streets.

I believe the proposal was dated 1950, and my building was constructed in 1953, so obviously my building's developers were not worried about potential eminent domain by then.

I suspect that my building was part of a "second generation" of buildings on my street, replacing a single-family residence. The hi-rise apartment buildings in the area are third-generation, replacing the small multi-family buildings like mine. As of now, there is one single-family building remaining on my block, and as always seems to be the case in Los Angeles, it is maintained but not continuously lived in. I call such houses "Scientology safehouses", but I have no idea what they are actually used for.

Occidental Blvd is a divided street with tall palm trees planted in the median. They look almost as tall as the "Longstreet palms" discovered by Los Angeles Past, so I'd estimate their age to be 80-90 years, which just about jibes with the age of this neighborhood.

OK, I've rambled on about this long enough. Someone else's turn!


I'll try to paste the 1950 Music Center concept art below:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #595  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 5:23 PM
Los Angeles Past Los Angeles Past is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Socko View Post
Thanks to Los Angeles Past for referring me to this thread. I read the whole thing during my free time over two days this week, and I saw so many cool things that relate to me in some way.

Last month, someone posted conceptual images of a proposed Music Center located at 6th & Hoover. Interesting, because that development would've wiped-out the building I live in (as well as my entire block)! If you look at the concept art you will see two unidentified streets: The one that forks off of Hoover is Occidental Blvd, and the parallel street to the east is Lafayette Park Place. The music center would've gone in the land between those two streets.

I believe the proposal was dated 1950, and my building was constructed in 1953, so obviously my building's developers were not worried about potential eminent domain by then.

I suspect that my building was part of a "second generation" of buildings on my street, replacing a single-family residence. The hi-rise apartment buildings in the area are third-generation, replacing the small multi-family buildings like mine. As of now, there is one single-family building remaining on my block, and as always seems to be the case in Los Angeles, it is maintained but not continuously lived in. I call such houses "Scientology safehouses", but I have no idea what they are actually used for.

Occidental Blvd is a divided street with tall palm trees planted in the median. They look almost as tall as the "Longstreet palms" discovered by Los Angeles Past, so I'd estimate their age to be 80-90 years, which just about jibes with the age of this neighborhood.

OK, I've rambled on about this long enough. Someone else's turn!


I'll try to paste the 1950 Music Center concept art below:

Nice contribution Johnny! Glad my blog got you over here. Also glad that proposed Music Center didn't gobble up your neighborhood. Enough of the old city has been done away with already, IMHO...

-Scott

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #596  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 5:37 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 12,793
Welcome to the site Johnny Socko!
Your post had a lot of interesting details.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #597  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 8:25 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 12,793
Below: The Ambassador Hotel in 1929.


usc digital archive




Below: A 1957 proposal for the site.


Reply With Quote
     
     
  #598  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 8:27 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 12,793
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #599  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 8:41 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 12,793
I just found phase II and III as well.










Looks like the original Ambassador Hotel is lost between Phase II and III.
Developers never know when to stop.

(of course we still lost the Ambassador many decades later)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #600  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 8:45 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 12,793
One last illustration from this series.


Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.