HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 10:45 PM
New Yorker for life

New permit issued yesterday (plumbing)...
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Wo...20&requestid=2
PROVIDE UNDERGROUND PIPING IN CONJUNCTION TO NEW BUILDING
PERMIT ISSUED - ENTIRE JOB/WORK 12/08/2009
Proposed Job Start: 12/08/2009

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 4:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Another...
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/EL...number=Z124132

Job Start Date: 01/04/2010
Job End Date: 02/04/2010

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 11:35 PM

October 10th:

December 18th:

Last edited by kznyc2k; Dec 20, 2009 at 2:07 AM. Reason: added Oct. 10 pic

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 12:42 AM
DENNAB

According to SSC the building has 80 floors and is 1083 feet tall and supposedly already U/C

Why are the facts so completely different here?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 12:54 AM
World Machine

Provide a source which indicates that those height specifications are indeed accurate, and the title of the thread will be changed accordingly.

In terms of construction, there doesn’t seem like much is going on.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 12:55 AM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
According to SSC the building has 80 floors and is 1083 feet tall and supposedly already U/C

Why are the facts so completely different here?
Because there has been no official word regarding height as of yet. The architect said it would be 1083 feet, but Extell has yet to say anything. And if I believe correctly 1083 feet is also the maximum height for that particular zoning.

And 953 feet is the expected roof height, 1083 is the expected crown.

But right now nobody's sure so it's unnecessary to the title on (well-supported) speculation.

Edit: Weird, Dac150 and I responded in less than a minute of each other. Sorry for the 2 posts that say the same thing essentially.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
In terms of construction, there doesn’t seem like much is going on.
It kinda seems like it might be moving at a crawl, but foundation work always seems to move deceptively slow until the steel (or concrete) starts shooting up.

I edited my above post to add a pic from October 10 showing definite progress on the slurry wall and mat.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 2:24 AM
World Machine

They seem to be all set to get to work, but it’s not active to the point where I would consider it under construction. The good news is that most of the foundation and prep work seem to be all good to go. First things first though; and that’s getting a good visual of the final design.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 7:12 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
It kinda seems like it might be moving at a crawl, but foundation work always seems to move deceptively slow until the steel (or concrete) starts shooting up.
They are working slow, and are indeed working on the foundation. But Extell hasn't had all of the permits it needs until only recently, and still may not be complete, but this stage is always slow regardless.

However, financing doesn't seem to be an issue now.

Quote:
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....711179852/1005

Aabar shifts to New York for its latest acquisition

Bradley Hope
November 17. 2009

Aabar Investment, a company controlled by the Abu Dhabi Government, is helping fund the development of a 73-storey luxury apartment building and hotel in New York City.

Khadem al Qubaisi, the chairman of Aabar, confirmed the company had paid Extell Development for a majority stake in a project rising at 157 West 57th Street in Manhattan, just a block away from Central Park and next door to Essex House, a hotel owned by the Jumeirah Group of Dubai.

Mr al Qubaisi said the deal with Extell, the company of the development giant Gary Barnett, could be the start of several property projects in New York.

“We selected Gary Barnett for our first project,” Mr al Qubaisi said, adding that the company was also reviewing other potential property deals in New York. “If things go well, we will start another project.”

Mr Barnett said the 57th Street development would be “one of the greatest buildings in the last 50 years” because of its prime location and ambitious design.

Mr Barnett said the design by the French architect Christian de Portzamparc had recently been finalised. “It will be a very unusual building,” he said.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 4:23 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Thanks for the photo update, kznyc2k.

It's not much progress, but at least it's progress.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 3:27 AM
Everywhere all at once

NYGuy, that has to be one of the most exciting quotes I've ever seen posted on this forum....I cannot wait to see renderings for this building!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 5:23 AM

^^^Agreed! I've been doing some research on his work, and all of his designs are very "different", which is going to be a great thing.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 2:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
NYGuy, that has to be one of the most exciting quotes I've ever seen posted on this forum....I cannot wait to see renderings for this building!
It better live up to it, that's all I can say. They're pulling a "Gehry" on us, but at least with Gehry you had some idea of what the tower looked like from working models. They're working foundations for this one, and no one has even seen it!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 2:18 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...ocWlwGDAAmNVUL

Developing gift ideas
What movers and shakers might like for Yule

Quote:

* Gary Barnett: Whatever the Extell chief needs to put up two slow-moving projects -- the 32-story Gem Tower on West 47th Street and a 73-story condo/hotel at 157 W. 57th St. With foundations for both now reaching street level, he just might be about to push the launch button.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 8:49 PM

How do they keep renderings for a 73 story condo building so quiet. Aren't they supposed to have pre sales on a building, so they can get funding to build the building? If both of these buildings are approaching street level and no one has seen a rendering, how does the average person know these buildings exist, other than the construction fence they see on the street.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 12:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
How do they keep renderings for a 73 story condo building so quiet. Aren't they supposed to have pre sales on a building, so they can get funding to build the building?
They haven't gotten funding until recently (see above article), and the design was recently finalized. But we've seen buildings begin construction before renderings were revealed, most recently the Beekman, although we had seen previous designs for that tower. Likewise, Related's tower rising on 42nd Street leaves a lot of questions about what the actual tower will look like. Also, it's New York where a lot of proposals are out there, including a much more visible one a few blocks away (Tower Verre). Although tall, it's not hard for this proposal to fade into the background - until a rendering is revealed.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 3:31 PM
Editor

When I have a look at the images, I whould say its already under-construction. I will ist is as U/C in Wikipedia. At the moment I will list it at 290m (953ft). Later, if there are reliable sources for 330m (1083ft) I will incease the height.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 3:17 PM
Editor

Shouldn´t we put this into U/C?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 4:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
Shouldn´t we put this into U/C?
When they resume, which is probably next month or so, we will. AS far as we know, they have been just working the foundation.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 7:20 PM
World Machine

When it’s deemed to be under construction officially, then it will be moved. Case closed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive