HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 4:11 PM

Competition

Anything that leads to more competition in this sector is good for the consumer. The additional fees and charges have become absurd. Mobile Industry execs spend all their time running around talking about how to increase ARPU ("Average Rate Per User") instead of improving services.

Wind's addition is great news. They might be the best place to take the new Google phone Nexus One when it arrives in January (or perhaps later in Canada). They could prove to be a winning combination.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 1:15 PM

Any updates on the wind roll out time wise? any signs that it will be rolling out soon? Any word that the other new companies are going to be setting up shop in vancouver soon?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 2:55 PM

Nexus One

Looks like Rogers snapped up Google's Nexus One in an exclusive deal. This will definately take the wind out of Wind.

So much for competition.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 5:21 PM

On the subject topic, Shaw is raising their HD Plus package frm $9 to $12. This is only a few months after they raised the rates of most of their digital packages $2-$3.

Can't wait until May when I'll be in a building serviced by Novus.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 5:53 PM

^^ I get 4 free HD 720p/1080i channels through an antenna...picture quality is even better than the compressed macroblocking "HD" picture Shaw provides. Plus they won't let me use another HD STB from eBay since you have to buy it from them...Novus allows any Motorola STB to be used regardless of where it was bought and offers re-programming for free if it is branded by another provider. I would stay away from Shaw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by junius View Post
Looks like Rogers snapped up Google's Nexus One in an exclusive deal. This will definately take the wind out of Wind.

So much for competition.
Umm, you can buy it from Google directly unlocked for both the bands that Rogers/Bellus uses and with AWS support if you want to use WIND in the future. How exactly have they "snapped up" the phone to make it "exclusive" to Rogers? Did Rogers get an injunction to stop Google from selling it and intercept all shipments for their own use?
Nexus One will never be exclusive to any carrier, thats what Google specifically wanted to avoid...you can buy it here: http://www.google.com/phone

Last edited by zivan56; Mar 21, 2010 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 11:05 PM

wind i think is april

apparently they are not doing well at all

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 12:29 AM

^^ Neither was Fido when it first started out...WIND only started around November and they have a bunch of customers already. I don't know if you recall the original Fido footprint, but it was small and had lots of dead spots. WIND is basically following their model of densely packed cities/downtown cores first and them other areas later.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 12:29 AM

Wind is hiring store managers now. They will do fine in the long run but I do think their short term plans are maybe a bit to abitious and will end up diluting the product until they build up their infrustructure and support network, this will take time but unlike Fido they have allot more resources at their disposal.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 12:39 AM

I finally saw a commercial for them a couple weeks ago - haven't seen another one yet

hopefully it gets better for them but they haven't started the hoped for price war yet

Wind Mobile's launch was premature: SeaBoard

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 12:41 AM

Fido was funded by T-Mobile, so they didn't exactly start off with homemade antennas and cheap equipment. However, it is quite prohibitive in terms of cost to actually get cell sites. It involves a bunch of bureaucracy with IC, the building owners, and other providers who usually try to sabotage efforts by loding complaints about the locations. Let's not forget stuff like "community consultations" required in some cities...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy