HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'm sure Ice from top to bottom will compare well to Absolute.
I'm sure it will be better than Absolute. It doesn't take much to be better... Absolute has the shittiest cladding of any "sculpted" tower I've ever seen. You can tell from a mile away how fake the twist is. Staggered shear walls... really now?

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 7:31 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Which, as you can see Whippersnapper, was Caltrane's original statement that started this line of conversation. When it comes to public transit, Toronto is 25 years behind and still fighting over it.

When it comes to intensification and construction we are way ahead of most of the world. Eventually the transit shortfall will choke off construction unless something gives.
But, we are building LRT. Transit City is partially underway. on top of the modernization of the existing network/fleet. Caltrane suggests absoloutely zero investment is occuring. By comparsion, that roughed in tunnel under Epcor is years away (if ever) from being put into service. (not to suggest Edmonton isn't currently expanding their LRT elsewhere)

Point being --> Those subway supporters have been dreaming too big for too long and gotten nothing in return. Let's not go down that path again. Transit City's more modest LRT network is attainable.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 7:41 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I'm sure it will be better than Absolute. It doesn't take much to be better... Absolute has the shittiest cladding of any "sculpted" tower I've ever seen. You can tell from a mile away how fake the twist is. Staggered shear walls... really now?
I'm not sure what you mean by fake twist. What I'm seeing is hardly an optical illusion. Why does it matter if the walls and columns don't all twist with the rest of the structure? How is that a good thing anyways?

The window wall, particularily the spandrel, is aesthetically subpar but, I don't really find it that noticeable. It's well setback from the edge and will be partially concealed by the railings as well. Now those look sharp as far as railings go.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 9:26 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
What happens if one of the mayoral candidates who back subways over LRT wins? Wouldn't that mean that many of these projects would get cancelled and attention would be re-focused on the Downtown Relief Line, Queen subway, St. Clair subway, Eglinton subway, and a Sheppard East subway?

After that, we could start filling in the gaps and add a few more lines elsewhere.
Aside from the fact that anything said by the candidates now regarding subways is merely posturing, likely nothing. Transit City is funded by the Province and will be owned by Metrolinx. Which means any cancellation must come from that level. Toronto actually has little say in the matter, and even if it did the mayor is still only one vote on council.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 10:40 PM
Bridge Walker!

Hotel Georgia Update 22MAY10

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3411/...903238cc_b.jpg

Photo by me.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 1:21 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redroom Studios View Post
From street level:

from north and south towers of the Westin:

from redroom studios at UT

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 6:34 PM
gettin' rich!

More Pinnacle Centre.. This time by me.. on my way down to the Harbour..

This building is gonna be slick.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 6:55 PM
gettin' rich!

18 york by me

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 7:32 PM

Absolute world is defnetly more unique looking than ICE but i think ICE could look good with its height

Photos from yesterday, May 22:

Festival tower:

X Condo (2nd shot shows the work being done at the new Holiday Inn)

Couture site prep (can't find a thread):

Uptown Residences:

photos by me: steveve !

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 8:08 PM
gettin' rich!

nice work steve!

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
if you ask me, i think absolute world would have looked better without balconies... I'm not a huge fan of wrap around balconies that go all the way to the top of the building... i think it looks a little more "cheap" that way (cause there's so many of them that it looks mass produced)... Like Casa for example... Without the balconies, it would have been cool to see the curves in all their glory

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 1:11 AM

Are you kidding me?

Absoluteworld in person is freaking amazing, and as it continues to grow upwards, every week it gets more impressive...the cladding looks spectacular in the sunlight or in clowd...and the only question mark is what the balconies will look like.....dleung, you need to come see it in person......I believe that the Absoluteworld towers will rank in the top 10 in all of North America built this decade....

Meanwhile, here's a nice flickr pic by Katrin Ray... showing Uptown peeking through in the Yonge & Bloor cluster in TO....

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 3:34 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by fake twist. What I'm seeing is hardly an optical illusion. Why does it matter if the walls and columns don't all twist with the rest of the structure? How is that a good thing anyways?

The window wall, particularily the spandrel, is aesthetically subpar but, I don't really find it that noticeable. It's well setback from the edge and will be partially concealed by the railings as well. Now those look sharp as far as railings go.
Yeah, the frosted glass balconies will help.
At least it'll look stunning at night

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Better word would be "superficial" twist. It's a regular condo from the inside. The glass isn't sloped, the columns aren't sloped (actually there's no columns, only shear walls). I would give them kudos for the amount of twisting and the accumulated cantilever over the ground plane, but it's not that impressive given the inelegance of all that concrete and shear wall holding it up. The only thing that expresses the shifting of the floorplates will be the location of the white mesh thing over the glass railings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Yeah, the frosted glass balconies will help.
At least it'll look stunning at night
Railing glass looks clear w/ a steel mesh on top, based on the model. Maybe I missed a memo?

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 1:10 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Better word would be "superficial" twist. It's a regular condo from the inside. The glass isn't sloped, the columns aren't sloped (actually there's no columns, only shear walls). I would give them kudos for the amount of twisting and the accumulated cantilever over the ground plane, but it's not that impressive given the inelegance of all that concrete and shear wall holding it up. The only thing that expresses the shifting of the floorplates will be the location of the white mesh thing over the glass railings.
Inelegance of the concrete walls holding it up? Sometimes I wonder what you are smokin'. Let's throw function out the window for twists and turns you can't hang a simple cabinet on or, better yet, frosted glass dividing the individual units for the sake of form only the residents will ever contend with. (not to mention it's quite evident on any construction photos that there are columns and walls that twist with the floorplate)

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 5:21 PM

^^You make it sound like I'm asking for the impossible...

Just one of numerous examples:

ya ya, price point is a bit different... thing is, why go through the trouble of making a mid-range condo into a half-assed landmark...

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 8:28 PM
I am the law!

No, I just think it's humourous to bitch about the building's "shear walls" which will be largely hidden from view.

It's doesn't need the Erickson's curtain glass because of the wrap around balconies. It also has more twist regardless of the more conventional and less forehead cracking concrete structure. But, the best part remains that it isn't hidden behind layer after layer of tacked on doodads and awkward setbacks.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 12:05 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
by me.
from Darwin at UT

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 12:45 AM
gettin' rich!

by urbandreamer at UT

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 12:59 AM
gettin' rich!

from Jasonzed at SSC

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada