HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 3:27 AM

Exactly Thank You.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 6:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This site is mostly a rail yard (well below grade; basically a trench).

So the reason it hasn't been developed is because it doesn't really exist yet.

Also, the entire neighborhood had the wrong zoning. Developers have been sitting on land for many years, just waiting for the neighborhood to be rezoned.
Right, also there's a discussion on construction methods in the FEIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
Also, the buildings depicted above are still just concepts not final designs?

And I noticed some Alexander Calder sculptures in those renderings. Just an observation.
They're still concepts at this point. If you look at both renderings in that quote, you'll notice they're not even the same. There will be some form of sculpture around the site. But that last rendering with the Cultural building did answer one question I had about the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
related wants the highline spur removed. i heard them say so myself at a highline meeting. it's something to keep a vigilant eye on.
I wouldn't see the loss of the spur as a total loss, as long as the high line itself remained. I do though, recall at some point talk of taking down the spur and replacing it with another connection. But as long as there are connections to street level, it's not as important.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 6:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Since Related had the easter yards rezoned to include a tower west of the cultural building, I wasn't sure if the planned design would fit on site. But from some of the renderings, it seems it will. It will be west of the first tower.

The "Culture Shed" has the ability to grow...

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=14405

Shed? Make way for a new breed of art space

Quote:
US ‘National Endowment for the Arts’ announces $3 million in grants to city governments and other organisations around the country for urban design projects, including $100,000 for advanced work on a cultural building planned as part of the redevelopment of the Hudson Yards on the West Side of Manhattan. The idea for the building, which has been little noted in the New York cultural world until now, envisions a new breed of cultural site — a combination of museum and rental exhibition space, which would be self-supporting.

The building, called Culture Shed, was conceived and is being designed by Diller Scofidio & Renfro, in partnership with the Rockwell Group, for the Hudson Yards Development Corporation. The five-story building will cover a footprint of 22,000 square feet with two deployable outer sheds that fit over the base and can be rolled from their nested positions on tracks on the east and west sides of the base building resulting in an exhibition hall of more than 55,000 square feet.

There are claims that the building will not be used exclusively for visual art, but will be used as a timeshare and not in affiliation with any one institution, but multiple cultural partners such as the Tate Modern in London. So far, many other cultural institutions throughout the US and Europe have expressed an interest.

Wendy Leventer, senior vice president for planning and design at Hudson Yards Development, said, “We think the design team has come up with an idea that really has tremendous potential.” The grants will also support 20 other projects around the country, including the creation of an arts and culture campus on part of a former Bethlehem Steel plant in Bethlehem, PA. and the development of a building with affordable housing for artists in downtown Los Angeles.

The Hudson Yards Development Corporation (HYDC) is a not-for-profit entity created by the City of New York in 2005 to oversee the redevelopment of the Hudson Yards district, a 360-acre mixed-use site bordered by 42nd and 28th Streets and 8th Avenue and the Hudson River. To date, HYDC activities have included coordination with several NYC authorities, including the Department of Parks and Recreation, to design four acres of neighbourhood green space. It is thought that the new building will enhance the city's capacity to present a wide range of cultural programming and act as an integrated presenting space.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 4:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Few more pics from Observer.com

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 5:17 AM
BANNED

These towers, while not final designs, are disappointing nonetheless. It seems that these buildings will be in the 700 to 800 foot range.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 6:45 AM

That tower on the first render is pretty much as bad as 1 Penn Plaza. The second ones are meh. The third one is actually awesome.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 1:17 PM
New Yorker for life

^ That first tower is to be topped by about 25 floors of residential space, so it won't be as squat and blocky as the rendering makes it out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
These towers, while not final designs, are disappointing nonetheless. It seems that these buildings will be in the 700 to 800 foot range.
Well, if you base it on those renderings, you are quite right. However, I speifically marked the potential heights to give an indication on how off the renderings actually are
in terms of height. The office towers on the eastern yards will be higher than the towers of the western yards, which are marked. No buildings are designed, but the
renderings are meant to give an indication on how the devepment would be built out. In that sense, it's very accurate.

And Merry Christmas everyone....

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 4:35 PM
BANNED

It seems that the best hopes for very tall towers are on the sites that are adjacent to -- but not included in -- the Yards. Developers will build every square inch that they're entitled to and each site.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 12:07 AM
DENNAB

I was always under the impression that it was pretty certain that there would be several supertalls at least in some places on the west side

Isn't it kind of early to say there wouldnt' be?

After the WTC/ carnegie 57/ Penn plaza all go up it will hopefully shut the NIMBYS up and spur more very tall developments

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 1:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I was always under the impression that it was pretty certain that there would be several supertalls at least in some places on the west side...
I agree, and that's what I mentioned above. There are a number of sites adjacent to the Yards on which 1,000+ foot towers can rise.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 3:32 PM
Editor

That project would become a great addition to the Midtown Skyline.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 4:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
It seems that the best hopes for very tall towers are on the sites that are adjacent to -- but not included in -- the Yards. Developers will build every square inch that they're entitled to and each site.
Assuming you are talking about the railyards, the tallest on the western yards could be around 950 ft. The two commercial towers on the eastern yards are to be taller, but it's too early for a height estimate because I don't have the relevant information in front of me. But consider a few factors of the first, or smaller of the eastern towers. It will be a commerial tower of about a million square feet (700 ft or so) on top of a 5-story retail base (about 80 to 100 ft) topped by about 25 floors of residential space (250 to 300 ft). I could see it reaching supertall status.

Meanwhile, a look at some of the Hudson Yards proposals we are familiar with just north of the railyards, and how they relate to the site.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 7:21 PM
DENNAB

^isn't the WPC cancelled?

also pardon my ignorance but what's up with the sherwood properties towers, is there a thread for that project?

am I correct in assuming that we will probably endup seeing 1000 footers that are not proposed or designed yet somewhere on the westside? If there really is to more than 40 million SQf over the next few decades I could see that as a possibility

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
^isn't the WPC cancelled?

also pardon my ignorance but what's up with the sherwood properties towers, is there a thread for that project?

am I correct in assuming that we will probably endup seeing 1000 footers that are not proposed or designed yet somewhere on the westside? If there really is to more than 40 million SQf over the next few decades I could see that as a possibility
yup WPC is cancelled and there is a thread i made for the Sherwood equities tower buy NYguy locked it because there has been no news in 2 years.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 7:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
yup WPC is cancelled and there is a thread i made for the Sherwood equities tower buy NYguy locked it because there has been no news in 2 years.
Yeah, the World Product Center itself was canceled. Keep in mind that the WPC was actually the tenant, and although the tower itself is still planned, the look and form of it will likely change, so there's no current proposal for that site. Those 3 proposals together are 3 of the so called "four corners" towers. Together those four towers are nearly as large as the WTC development, so we're talking some major development in the Hudson Yards.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 7:51 PM
DENNAB

ah gotcha

but i guess as far as the sherwood towers go, no news is good news? maybe?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 8:25 PM
World Machine

^^^You can say that; but I would expect news to come accordingly to tenant activity. I have to believe that all these developers are gearing up to position these building to potential tenants.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 3:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I would expect news to come accordingly to tenant activity. I have to believe that all these developers are gearing up to position these building to potential tenants.
I expect a flood of activity over on the west side in the coming years. As the expected opening of the 7 line extensions quietly grows nearer, and companies again renew searches for space, this area will become a natural and even desired place to expand.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 3:40 PM

It'd b cool if they could make it look natural growed and somehow like the battery park city looks like, but with more street level retail and not like a soulless urban project planned on the drawing board.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 3:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickser View Post
It'd b cool if they could make it look natural growed and somehow like the battery park city looks like, but with more street level retail and not like a soulless urban project planned on the drawing board.
As the project nears closer to development, more specific renderings will be released, but it's all planned with street level retail and the entire district will probably be one of the better planned in the history of the city. A key to all of the developments is the planned Hudson Boulevard and Park. The good news is that the same team behind that park is also behind it's natural extension, which will be the open spaces of the railyards. Whether that maze is finalized (its on the site plan) remains to be seen, but I'm sure it will all come together.

http://www.hydc.org/html/project/hudson-park.shtml

Quote:
A world class, multi-disciplinary design team has been selected and will be led by Michael Van Valkenburgh Landscape Architects in collaboration with HYDC, the New York City Departments of Parks and Recreation, Transportation, City Planning and the Economic Development Corporation. The design work is scheduled to commence in mid-2010 and to be complete at the end of 2013 when the subway extension opens.

Construction of the first phase of the Park and Boulevard between West 33rd and West 36th Streets is expected to be complete by 2013. The second phase, between West 36th and West 39th Streets, will eventually connect to West 42nd Street on the north via a pedestrian bridge.

To the south, the Park and Boulevard will connect to the High Line and the public open space to be constructed at the Eastern Rail Yard. This continuous connection will contribute to a new north-south green corridor that will tie 42nd Street to Gansevoort Street across the neighborhoods of Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea, the Meatpacking District and the West Village.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive