HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 5:38 AM

I recall posting the bus loop backgrounder PDF awhile back. =O

As for the Grandview interchange... I think they need to put back in those right-turn ramps... there's just not enough capacity I think for the loop ramps to be able to handle the right-turn traffic. Unfortunately that only brings up the other matter regarding dangerous weaving. (sigh)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 6:27 AM
Fastest = best

You mean the lack of right turn lanes on the Willingdon loop ramps?
Yeah, that previously unobstructed movement will now be uselessly and completely blocked by left turn traffic at red lights due to the lack of that right turn lane. Same thing happens in Surrey most of the time, causing huge snarlups in certain places such as 108th & 160th... while those intersections that do have right turn lanes (i.e. 152nd & 104th) work so efficiently. I feel your pain

I think there would probably at least be enough room to extend the right turn lane throughout the loop ramp, but it seems in this metro area that right turn lanes are really often overlooked in road design... how to convince them now to change/add that, could be tough

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 6:34 AM

So this new rapid bus route will have no stops between 202 and Lougheed Station? Or is there going to be a stop near 152nd?

Either way with transit only ramps and HOV lanes the entire stretch this is going to be a fantastic way to get from that area of Langley and east to the sky train system.

If I lived n the area I would definitely use it.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 6:37 AM
Fastest = best

They designed the 156th HOV/bus ramps for a reason... there's got to be some sort of stop in the Guildford area. A Guildford -> Lougheed rapid bus would be a massive improvement, it would probably really help take the massive overload of people off of the Guildford -> Surrey Central bus routes.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Grandview Willingdon noise wall consultation. Shows double left turn lanes from westbound Grandview to southbound Boundary.
Nice to see that multi-use path on the east side of the Willingdon overpass. That coupled with the signals for traffic turning onto Willingdon from the freeway will go a long way to making it safer and easier for cyclists who are traversing between the bike lane running south on Willingdon and the Central Valley Greenway.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
I recall posting the bus loop backgrounder PDF awhile back. =O

As for the Grandview interchange... I think they need to put back in those right-turn ramps... there's just not enough capacity I think for the loop ramps to be able to handle the right-turn traffic. Unfortunately that only brings up the other matter regarding dangerous weaving. (sigh)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
You mean the lack of right turn lanes on the Willingdon loop ramps?
Yeah, that previously unobstructed movement will now be uselessly and completely blocked by left turn traffic at red lights due to the lack of that right turn lane. Same thing happens in Surrey most of the time, causing huge snarlups in certain places such as 108th & 160th... while those intersections that do have right turn lanes (i.e. 152nd & 104th) work so efficiently. I feel your pain

I think there would probably at least be enough room to extend the right turn lane throughout the loop ramp, but it seems in this metro area that right turn lanes are really often overlooked in road design... how to convince them now to change/add that, could be tough
I'm not sure what either of you are talking about, but it sounds like you are not talking about the same stuff either.

Is Allen referring to the Auxiliary lane system for the Willingdon Exit, where the exit for Willingdon goes around and under the onramps for #1? Having that would reduce the potential weaving between Granview and Willingdon. But they claim it will be added in the future, it's just not part of the 2013 project. While I would love to have that exit, what is still planned is a lot better than it is now. That exit was a dangerous nightmare because of people exiting the freeway then dashing across 3 lanes of traffic into the (usually full so it blocks up traffic) left turn lane onto Canada Way.

XD, if you are talking about the actual loop exits at Willingdon, I think you are over worrying. The exit at Willingdon (WB exit) has been remade in that fashion already, and it's not bad. The few times I've been through there, traffic turning left (onto NB Willingdon) hasn't blocked traffic making the right onto SB Willingdon. The right turn lane starts far enough back. Not like it matters much anyway, traffic is so heavy on Willingdon that you usually need to wait for the green light anyway.

And there are right turn lanes in the plans, so I don't see what your gripe is? They are not a mile long, but they are there. Plus, these are plans drawn in a paint program overtop of old satellite images, it's not like they are the official blueprints, so who know's exactly how long these lanes will be. And it's still a yield into a through lane, so still most traffic won't move off the exits unless the light is green, but that is still a lot better than it is now.

Before Gateway, there wasn't a merge lane on the overpass, it was a Yield. So was not free flow to begin with. I remember having to wait for the light to turn green to turn right on to SB Willingdon on most occasions back when I drove through there every single day to go to BCIT years ago.

And dude, stop comparing everything else in the lower mainland to the corner of 108th and 160th. One of the busiest exits exits off the busiest chunk of freeway with one of the highest rates of collisions in BC is nothing like the intersection of 2 single lane roads in North East Suburban Surrey. I'm sorry traffic is getting your Quiznos cold on the way home, but that's nothing like the way traffic backs up on and around Willingdon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
So this new rapid bus route will have no stops between 202 and Lougheed Station? Or is there going to be a stop near 152nd?

Either way with transit only ramps and HOV lanes the entire stretch this is going to be a fantastic way to get from that area of Langley and east to the sky train system.

If I lived n the area I would definitely use it.
I believe there is a huge empty lot between 156 and 157 streets, between 104 Ave and the freeway that will become a park and ride and exchange (probably not the whole property, but a big chunk). From the video about Rapid bus on the Gateway site, it sounds like buses from Walnut Grove will exit at 156 HOV exit, and go to the exchange to drop off/pick up and then go back onto the Freeway there and over the bridge.

From some of the Rapid Bus backgrounders, it sounds like they intend to have a bit of a rapid bus network. The documents talk about linking Lougheed, Coquitlam Center, Surrey City Center, and Walnut Grove. So I think in the future there will be at least 2 lines. One from Walnut Grove to Lougheed Station, which will stop at 156 St exchange, and one from Surrey City Center to Coquitlam Center, via the 156 St Exchange. Of course, depending on Demand you might have other routes too, but this would allow travel between the 4 points on express buses, with transfers made at 156 St.

Then Translink could also have most of the Guildford area buses pass through the Exchange as well, allowing for transfers from Rapid bus to local service in that area.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 2:32 AM
Fastest = best

Seeing the diagrams the right turn lanes seemed pretty short or about nonexistent... perhaps that's what they are going to be when the interchange is complete? The current setups are rather temporary at the moment.

The problem with Willingdon compared to 108th and 156th is that it is in fact very busy, and a design flaw could cause that kind of horrendous traffic more easily than in the area I usually mention. I don't even live near there any more actually, it just sticks. At the very least, the drivers and pedestrians here are more responsible here unlike what happens on Richmond's No. 3 Road (more than once now I've seen pedestrians cross when they're not supposed to, causing a driver turning right to slam the brakes and taking everyone behind with them), but that's a slightly different concept (safety, not very long backups)

As far as I'm aware that area between 156th & 157th & 104th & freeway was supposed to become a big business development/strip mall area (similar to Fleetwood), cancelled due to the complains from a nearby elementary school and residents, but I don't think it will be zoned to become a bus exchange either. If there will be an exchange by there (and it does seem like the most suitable location), they would have announced it by now. It doesn't go well though with the fact that many buses terminate at Guildford and don't go near there either, and there won't be a very reliable link between Guildford mall exchange and this exchange for passengers (unless they launch some sort of every-5-minutes shuttle down 104th... which most definitely would be late 90% of the time due to the poor design, light timing & traffic volume of that section of road in the daytime)

Last edited by xd_1771; Mar 4, 2011 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 9:55 PM

webcam pics from today:

Note the anchors for cables(?) circled in red.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Column for the pedestrian/bike overpass is up on Johnston Hill. Has anyone seen a render for the bridge design - i.e. plain or interesting?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
webcam pics from today:

Note the anchors for cables(?) circled in red.
You can also see installed anchors in the very top left and right corners of the pic (the top left one is cut off, but a good view of the top right one).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 11:14 PM

Thanks! Didn't catch those.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 12:04 AM

They don't look very big. :\

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 8:40 PM

Webcam pic from today - you can see one of the anchor sleeves that Zassk mentioned:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 3:04 AM

i don't know if its been mentioned but the grandview exit has been moved its close to willingdon now - changed over in the last two weeks

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 3:17 AM
Fastest = best

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i don't know if its been mentioned but the grandview exit has been moved its close to willingdon now - changed over in the last two weeks
It's been mentioned. It probably doesn't, but does this affect traffic at all?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 3:20 AM

a little bit, people who don't pay attention are finding themselves forced to turn or they freak out and slow down and try to merge left - kind of annoying - why people don't open their eyes when they drive... i don't know

Last edited by SpongeG; Mar 8, 2011 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 3:28 AM

I think the columns on Johnston hill are for the toll plate readers and the ped. bridge will be a little farther north judging from the plans.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 5:38 AM

They seen a bit overbuilt for toll readers, but it would make more sense for the overpass to touchdown atop the retaining wall.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 7:06 AM

I assume it's because it has to span more lanes than the GEB?

I originally wanted to say that the province must be expecting a bad riot to have built concrete toll camera columns of that size. xD

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terick View Post
I think the columns on Johnston hill are for the toll plate readers and the ped. bridge will be a little farther north judging from the plans.
I believe it is for the freeway signs as well as the toll plate readers.
You will see something similar to these pillars in this video about 4/5's through.

http://www.pmh1project.com

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 7:46 AM
Mac User

^ yeah it looks very similar to what's in the video. It probably is for toll readers and signage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure