HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 9:55 PM
Twin Towers crusader

I asked about hieght information on wtc.com. Maybe they'll add stat sheets to the page, as I proposed.

In my opinion 2WTC should be 1362 or more feet tall (roof). Then it would look the best.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I asked about hieght information on wtc.com. Maybe they'll add stat sheets to the page, as I proposed.

In my opinion 2WTC should be 1362 or more feet tall (roof). Then it would look the best.
we could be talking quite a few years down the road from what I understand. If they're trying to find tennants for tower 3 and they build it first, it could be sometime before tower 2 goes past the first level on the ground.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 6:09 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengliu View Post
Construction of Tower 2 will require the removal of the Vesey Street staircase, also known as the survivors’ stairway, which is the only aboveground remnant of the original trade center that is still in place. It served as an escape route for hundreds of people on 9/11
That hunk of concrete was removed from the site years ago. I believe it's already been placed in the memorial.

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 2:40 PM
Grand is Golden!

Ok, so I made a model of the 2WTC, but I didn't finish the diamonds on the top. I was planning to finish it today, but I decided to give a little preview here.

And the lobby section (I didn't include the escalator that leads down to the concourse)

And you can watch the video tour of the 2WTC on my Youtube in my signature below.

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 4:43 PM
Twin Towers crusader

That 2WTC looks really nicely. Good job there

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 10:54 PM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

Sorry if this has already been asked but is there significance in the orientation of the building's downward slant? It's obviously pointing toward the memorial... So is it like a nod to the Twins' former positions?

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Architect View Post
Ok, so I made a model of the 2WTC, but I didn't finish the diamonds on the top. I was planning to finish it today, but I decided to give a little preview here.

And the lobby section (I didn't include the escalator that leads down to the concourse)

And you can watch the video tour of the 2WTC on my Youtube in my signature below.
Was this made in Sketchup or AutoCAD?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Was this made in Sketchup or AutoCAD?
That's sketchup, and by the way TGA, that's amazing work there. How did you find out exactly how the lobby and everything will look? Because I couldn't find anything, aside from 2 renders @ wtc.com that showed anything useful.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 10:03 PM
Grand is Golden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman92 View Post
That's sketchup, and by the way TGA, that's amazing work there. How did you find out exactly how the lobby and everything will look? Because I couldn't find anything, aside from 2 renders @ wtc.com that showed anything useful.
Thanks Fishman92! And yes, SkyscrapersOfNewYork, that is Sketchup.

I wouldn't call it exactly accurate. I was in a hurry, so I didn't include the specific details of the lobby or the tower itself. But I'm working on improving it as I am typing this. (I'm using most of my Memorial Day 3-day weekend to do this.) My main focus on this model is fixing up the diamonds. This process could go faster if Zensteeldude was here...

I knew how everything looked by using the renderings at wtc.com, as you mentioned. Those renderings (especially the lobby exterior/interior rendering), was all I need. Plus, another helpful thing were the floorplans included in the 2WTC photo gallery.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 10:34 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
This process could go faster if Zensteeldude was here...
If it makes you feel better, he never had much info on Tower 2. The engineering for 2,3 & 4 was handled by other firms, and he only had the sub-levels (sitewide), transit hall, and of course, Tower 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked but is there significance in the orientation of the building's downward slant? It's obviously pointing toward the memorial... So is it like a nod to the Twins' former positions?
Something like that, yes.

Quote:
Those diamonds are a bitch, aren't they? The notch angles aren't the same as the perimeter angles, each of the N/S faces have a different angle, and the diamond faces are completely parallel. It took me a lot more than 1 day to get it right. In fact, it took 3 separate versions (taking 1-2 days each) before it was acceptable inside and out. All the building info in the world won't tell which 3D technique you need to use to replicate it.

Last edited by STR; May 30, 2011 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks Fishman92! And yes, SkyscrapersOfNewYork, that is Sketchup.

I wouldn't call it exactly accurate. I was in a hurry, so I didn't include the specific details of the lobby or the tower itself. But I'm working on improving it as I am typing this. (I'm using most of my Memorial Day 3-day weekend to do this.) My main focus on this model is fixing up the diamonds. This process could go faster if Zensteeldude was here...

I knew how everything looked by using the renderings at wtc.com, as you mentioned. Those renderings (especially the lobby exterior/interior rendering), was all I need. Plus, another helpful thing were the floorplans included in the 2WTC photo gallery.
wow thats stunning,ive always felt that sketchup was harder to use than AutoCAD(probably because i started with sketchup later) so i consider that to be quite admirable. Keep up the great work buddy.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Last edited by SkyscrapersOfNewYork; May 31, 2011 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR;5297741[IMG
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4329/n85.jpg[/IMG]

STR....what can i say, your a God. you have given us and continue to give us what is most likely the best renderings of the complex on the planet. What about you, are you using AutoCAD?

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 11:44 PM
Because I'm Clever!

AutoCAD really is more of a design and engineering application than a rendering and presentation kit. I use the related 3D Studio Max, also made by Autodesk. 3DSM is geared towards animation and gaming, though it can easily import and export AC files.

But there's entire threads of my work. Right now, I'm more interested in what Grand Architect comes up with. It always cool to see other artists tackle the same subject matter.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 12:28 AM
Grand is Golden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
If it makes you feel better, he never had much info on Tower 2. The engineering for 2,3 & 4 was handled by other firms, and he only had the sub-levels (sitewide), transit hall, and of course, Tower 1.
Ah, I see... so T2 wasn't his forte....

Quote:
Those diamonds are a bitch, aren't they? The notch angles aren't the same as the perimeter angles, each of the N/S faces have a different angle, and the diamond faces are completely parallel. It took me a lot more than 1 day to get it right. In fact, it took 3 separate versions (taking 1-2 days each) before it was acceptable inside and out. All the building info in the world won't tell which 3D technique you need to use to replicate it.
Well, let's just put it this way STR: You did a MUCH better job tackling the diamonds than I did.

I had a similar experience as you had; the modeling process was smooth until I hit the upper floors encased in those 4 diamonds. From there, it was pretty much guess-and-check for me; build a floor, make changes to the slope, add another floor, so on and so fourth...

Right now, I'm planning on adding more details on the diamonds, but before I do that I gotta get them into right proportions and position. PM me if you have any tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001
I don't know about the "nod" thing, but I know for certain that the slope of the diamonds should reflect sunlight from the memorial pools to the diamonds, or vise versa. There's a concept drawing about this process in the 2WTC photo gallery located here:

http://www.wtc.com/media/images/s/ar...d-trade-center

I believe it's photo number 6.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 1:11 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
I had a similar experience as you had; the modeling process was smooth until I hit the upper floors encased in those 4 diamonds. From there, it was pretty much guess-and-check for me; build a floor, make changes to the slope, add another floor, so on and so fourth...

Right now, I'm planning on adding more details on the diamonds, but before I do that I gotta get them into right proportions and position. PM me if you have any tips
I'm not all that familiar with SU, but I did an entire diamond (all 11+ floors in each) at once. I took a slanted/staggered facade piece and rotated and cut away the parts that went outside the horizontal footprint. Then dropped the whole chunk on top of the tower.

As for details:

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 1:36 AM
Grand is Golden!

Quote:
I'm not all that familiar with SU, but I did an entire diamond (all 11+ floors in each) at once. I took a slanted/staggered facade piece and rotated and cut away the parts that went outside the horizontal footprint. Then dropped the whole chunk on top of the tower.
SketchUp is pretty easy for me, but I can't say for certain if it is easier than 3DS Max, because I haven't used it.

From the way you're describing the creation of the diamonds, you make it sound so easy

Well, I'm off to bed....

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:35 AM

Question for STR:

Is it safe to assume that the multiple vertical "venetian blinds" (for lack of a better term) are firmed up as the final design for the antenna/pinnacle diamond tip?

This design looks much better than the original "open" version, in my opinion.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:04 AM
Because I'm Clever!

I'm not sure how "final" you can get when a building might not get built for years and is therefore subject to cost re-analysis and tweaking by the architect. However, I have a suspicion that Silverstein Properties isn't going to cut any more checks to Foster + Partners, and will be highly disinclined to alter the plans again. Getting to the point, it's the plan to the best of my knowledge.

They're not really blinds though. It's the facade fins extending up to the crown.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:07 AM
DENNAB

whether it's 1350 feet or 1430 feet it's gonnalook damn cool

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:05 AM
Everywhere all at once

I can only hope that once this building is complete, there will be aerial photos from all angles that are as impressive as these computer models.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction