HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Of course they bought it there. Nobody here ever heard of Ikea until they opened their store in Burnside in the mid-70s. Once they did it became the go-to place for young couples and university students to buy furniture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...th_IKEA_stores
Keith of course people heard of Ikea before they opened in Burnside, at least I did. Since I'm from Missouri you need will to provide some data on when it opened. I still don't accept that it was open in Burnside in the mid-70's; not until there's more to go on.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZET View Post
Keith of course people heard of Ikea before they opened in Burnside, at least I did. Since I'm from Missouri you need will to provide some data on when it opened. I still don't accept that it was open in Burnside in the mid-70's; not until there's more to go on.
So if you heard of it before they opened in Burnside in the mid'70s, why are you denying that it was ever there? Were you there at the time? I was. I shopped there. If you don't accept that as sufficient evidence I can only presume you deny 9/11 actually happened or that man landed on the moon as well. Don't be absurd.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 5:45 PM

Keith, read my post #49 (JET, ZET; same thing).
Ikea was indeed in Burnside and I shopped there; what I'm not convinced about is that it was open in the 70's; you may in fact be right about that, but I'm not yet convinced that it is true. If you are right then I will

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 5:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This person also went to IKEA in the 70s: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...49&postcount=2

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 6:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I lived in Halifax from 1979-89 and remember shopping at IKEA in Burnside a number of times. A great store. It was a major trauma to civic pride when it closed.

As far as I can recollect, it was already open when I moved to the city. I would guess it maybe opened in 1975. I think it was their first store in North America.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I'm a bit too young to be able to contribute to this thread much, but I love reading through it.

I'm curious about the Dartmouth IKEA. When did it open? When did it close? What building was it located in, exactly? (My parents said it was on Akerley Blvd).

Edit: I was searching for info in old editions of the 4th Estate newspaper available online at NSARM and found this interesting map from 1976. Interesting because I had always simply assumed the earliest Burnside developments would have been closer to the Circ.

To answer your question about the Ikea location, it was near the corner of Akerley and Windmill. It is behind the buildings on Windmill, and the entrance was probably on Akerley, but I seem to remember going in the end closest to Dawn St. It's a long one-story building with a faded red roof. I drove past it on Saturday.
Sounds like it was probably open in the mis 70's, but it is hard to accept that Ikea's first location was in Burnside.
Oh well,

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 5:37 PM

I remember the 1995 G7 meeting in Halifax. It was a peaceful celebration. I remember watching the world leaders (Clinton, Boris Yeltsin, etc) walking about down by Historic Properties and shaking hands with citizens. Minimal security, no violence. Probably the last time there was a peaceful 'G8'

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Current/Ha...FactSheet.html

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 6:35 PM

Iv noticed that a lot of the high rises along Quinpool have a very similar resemblance, such as the Quinpool Centre and the Atantica Hotel. Anyone know if they were all built in a single development by a single developer?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 7:11 PM

The Atlantica Hotel was originally built as a Holiday Inn in the early '70s by Ken Rowe's IMP Group. Quinpool Center was late-70s. I forget the developer but it wasn't IMP.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I remember the 1995 G7 meeting in Halifax. It was a peaceful celebration. I remember watching the world leaders (Clinton, Boris Yeltsin, etc) walking about down by Historic Properties and shaking hands with citizens. Minimal security, no violence. Probably the last time there was a peaceful 'G8'

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Current/Ha...FactSheet.html
That was the first summer I worked for the federal government and I got to work on the computer network for the summit. It was awesome. I got to meet Clinton by chance. Very firm handshake as I recall.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 7:56 PM

Canada Canada 1975 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

IKEA opened its first North American store in 1975 in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, although that store—and another in Victoria, British Columbia—were closed in 1988 due to high operational costs and market size.[4][5] As of 2011, there are eleven stores in four provinces—two in British Columbia (Richmond and Coquitlam), two in Alberta (Calgary and Edmonton), five in Ontario (Burlington, Etobicoke, North York, Ottawa, and Vaughan), and two in Quebec (Boucherville and Montreal).[6] IKEA will enter its fifth province when it opens its twelfth Canadian location in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 2012.[7]

This info came from wikipedia. The store was located on Akerley Blvd in Dartmouth. Shopped there often, got some of the furniture for my first apt there... now I'm aging myself.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandpat View Post
Canada Canada 1975 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

IKEA opened its first North American store in 1975 in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, although that store—and another in Victoria, British Columbia—were closed in 1988 due to high operational costs and market size.[4][5] As of 2011, there are eleven stores in four provinces—two in British Columbia (Richmond and Coquitlam), two in Alberta (Calgary and Edmonton), five in Ontario (Burlington, Etobicoke, North York, Ottawa, and Vaughan), and two in Quebec (Boucherville and Montreal).[6] IKEA will enter its fifth province when it opens its twelfth Canadian location in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 2012.[7]

This info came from wikipedia. The store was located on Akerley Blvd in Dartmouth. Shopped there often, got some of the furniture for my first apt there... now I'm aging myself.
Welcome to the forum. First store in North America was in Burnside. Wow.
Keith was right, I was wrong.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 6:09 PM

I remember when Burton Ettinger Elementary School on Sunnybrae Avenue in Fairview (my old street growing up) was still two buildings and then the addition to bring it all into one building was built. I thought it was really cool at the time because the old library space was seperated from the 'hallway' by these really cool and tall dividers. That room ended up being my grade 4 classroom. I remember by grade 4 I no longer had to put on snow pants to walk outside to go to the other building. The new gym was huge (for a kid) and the new library was all purple. So were the new doors in the new wing and that teachers room was the old music room.

Streetview

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 8:13 PM
Salty Town

Does anyone remember the Paradise restaurant or the Ocean tavern?

Last edited by Empire; Sep 25, 2011 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 2:36 PM

Old Watering Holes

Hi, forgive me if my first post focuses on old bars but frequenting them was a large part of my youth...

I remember JJ Rossy's in the Granville Mall (now an art gallery I think?), Jaguars then Secretary's (now Reflections), Scoundrel's below the TD building, and finally Rosa's Cantina in the Carleton Hotel.

I'm sure there are truckloads of memories out there for drinking establishments....

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 4:10 PM

I remember playing asteroids at the Ocean Tavern, lower water st, before the TD building was built. There was also a tavern at the foot of North St, next to Camille's fish and chips, but I can't remember the name.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 4:16 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I remember playing asteroids at the Ocean Tavern, lower water st, before the TD building was built. There was also a tavern at the foot of North St, next to Camille's fish and chips, but I can't remember the name.
1801 Hollis occupies the site of the old Ocean Tavern.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
1801 Hollis occupies the site of the old Ocean Tavern.
Is that not the TD building? or am I confused again. It must be one of those bank buildings (Central Trust, maybe). It's the same block that "Sanfords" was in

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 8:00 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

1801 Hollis was formally the Central Trust Tower. The TD building is a bit up the hill from there at George and Barrington St.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 8:17 PM
video et taceo

i remember: hell's hotel, suisha gardens, the cole harbour riots, q.e. vs. st. pat's, seeing "coming to america" at the barrington paramount, the lighthouse tavern, cyclesmith at quinpool and preston... the late '80s and early '90s, i guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues