(pop. 1,655) is the seat of McKean County (pop. 43,450) in north-central Pennsylvania, located on US Route 6. Smethport was incorporated as a borough in 1853. In the late 19th century, oil, gas and lumber spurred Smethport's boomtown growth. However, like much of the Northern Tier, Smethport stagnated in the early 20th century as lumber was depleted and other parts of the U.S. superceded Northern PA as centers of oil and gas production. The town sustained itself with glass production and administrative functions.
The wealth generated by resource extraction endowed Smethport with an impressive collection of mansions. The town remains attractive and well-preserved.
Smethport has experienced a couple notable weather events. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Pennsylvania was recorded in Smethport: -42° F on January 5, 1904. Smethport is also home of the U.S. record for 24 hour rainfall from a non-tropical system at 34 inches of rain.
The McKean County Courthouse was built in 1942 after the 1881 version burnt down.
Smethport's Mansion District
(pop. 2,157) is located in eastern McKean County along US Route 6, 10 miles west of Smethport and 17 miles east of Coudersport. Port Allegany is located along the Allegheny River (yes, multiple spellings persist... with Allegany popular in Northern PA and Southern NY) 30 miles west of the headwaters.
Incorporated as a borough in 1882 during the McKean County resource extraction boom, Port Allegany grew as a center of sawmills, tanneries, chemicals and glass production. Two glass plants continue operating today.
Port Allegany is known as the "Glass Block Capital of the World"!
They love their "diners" on Rt 6!
St. Gobain Glass Container Factory
Pittsburgh Corning glass block factory... supposedly the only such facility in the Western hemisphere...