HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
What I don't understand is that Kara bought the building already, beating Harry's bid.
As the saying goes, "timing is everything".

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Pay no heed, RTH. Come springtime naysayers like BCTed will be eating crow bigtime.

I have to admit, my initial reaction to Stinson's appearance in the Hamilton scene was greeted by scepticism, based mostly by the bad press articles about him during the past year. However, I dug a bit deeper and did a bit of research on Stinson's role in development in Toronto. In a nutshell, some of the projects he started he saw right through to the end, but not all. I decided to research the projects that Stinson did not see right through to see what went wrong. Know what I found out? They did not go wrong at all - just shifted hands to different developers.

For example, a few days back, BCTed described The Candy Lofts as a Stinson failure. I thought to myself, wait a minute, this was a successful condo development in Toronto, why is he going on about this being a failure? So I read up on the Candy Factory. This was a development that Stinson envisioned over a decade ago. It was also his first stab at development on a large scale, and a learning experience for Stinson on municipal bureaucracy and financial backers. The development was delayed due to city planners' concerns about the redevelopment of a former industrial space as a residence. He also had difficulty securing financing from banks because they saw the site as in an unsavoury part of town and therefore an unsound investment (sound familiar?).

The protracted delays stretched Stinson's development costs to his limit, so he sold the development to Metroontario Group. They were an established development firm with deep pockets, and were able to see it through to the end. Today, the Candy Factory is a highly successful condo development which set the standard for future redevelopment of former commercial spaces in Toronto into condominium residences.

Another 'failure' Stinson's critics cite is 1 King. The fact of the matter is that this development is the first successful high-end hotel condiminium development in Toronto. It is perceived as a failure because a group of investors, led by David Mirvish, launched a law suit against Stinson because their investment return is not as high as he projected, due to the fact that municipal taxes are using the commercial rate rather than the residential rate that Stinson used to estimate their returns on investment. Again, I emphasize their beef is they are not making as much money as they thought they would, which is very different than losing money on an investment. The fact that 1 King was recently recognized with a Pug Award for Toronto's best new residential development.

Finally, there is the latest Stinson development that BCTed describes as a 'failure' - the Sapphire. Again, this is a development that has been delayed by city hall planners concerned that its height would cast a shadow across Nathan Phillips Square. This has led to nearly two years of delays and significant cost overruns as designs were redrwan several times over. With the Mirvish lawsuit pushing Stinson's development business into bankruptcy protection, Stinson decided to sell Sapphire to generate funds sufficient to settle the bacnkruptcy claim. This was a hard decision no doubt, because the signature tower was meant to be Stinson's greatest development triumph. However, its sale settles his bancruptcy and positions him to do what all visionary developers do: carry on. To our good fortune, his creative energies are being brought down the road to Hamilton. And, for the record, Sapphire is carrying on much like the Candy Factory, only with another development firm seeing it through to the end.

Upon reflection, these items could be described as setbacks for Stinson's business specifically. However, it should be noted that, of his perceived failures, the Candy Factory and 1 King developments are successfully completed, and the Sapphire is on the road to development. Toronto has benefitted greatly by these developments, as Hamilton will be by whatever developments Stinson starts on in this city. That's a heck of a lot more than what Hamilton is getting from its current set of so-called developers.

I say we roll out the red carpet for Stinson, and any of his Toronto colleagues who may now take Hamilton much more seriously due to his interest in the Hammer.
The springs of 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 have come and gone since this post was created.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
The springs of 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 have come and gone since this post was created.
He just always has the be the voice of opposition. I've learned to ignore his posts.

I think it's obvious at this point that Stinson's done in Hamilton as well. Chances are, if he somehow gets to develope this Niagara Hotel (which he doesnt own) he'll move to that region.

Stinson gave a good try at a comeback, he really did and I'll give him credit for making such noise in Hamilton. But it's obvious at this point that his reputation preceded him and can not garner the financial backing he thought possible. Now he blames Hamilton for his delays while several others are moving ahead with construction while he continues with new project announcements. It wreaks of Vranich et al.

Im blessed with the ability to use common sense and accept facts (hence why I'll never be a Conservative), and the writing is on the wall in big bold letters for Harry!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 2:06 PM

I haveb't given up on Harry Stinson. Sure Hamilton Grand and Stinson lofts are moving slower than expected, but they are still moving forward. And that`s a good thing, especially for Hamilton.

Remember all the recent news about Hamilton being a great place to invest in...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 3:04 PM

The School is taking part in the Stinson Neighbourhood Garage Sale again this year.

Warning: PDF

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
Im blessed with the ability to use common sense and accept facts (hence why I'll never be a Conservative), and the writing is on the wall in big bold letters for Harry!
but you seem to lack a sense of irony

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
He just always has the be the voice of opposition. I've learned to ignore his posts.
I assume you are referring to markbarbera. To be fair, the post I dug up is several years old, so this was a bit unnecessary. To also be fair, the reason I dug it up was because I saw mark continuing to defend Stinson in the Stinson school thread.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 9:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

‘Hamilton doesn’t believe in Harry’

Harry Stinson has a feeling he’s about to regain his lost “aura” of success.

He could be right.

In a surprise move, the Hamilton developer is partnering with Jamil Kara on the multimillion restoration of the historic Hotel Niagara in Niagara Falls, New York.

Kara is the developer behind FilmWorks Lofts on King William Street and turning The Spectator’s former downtown printing plant into condo-lofts.

He bought the vacant 12-storey Hotel Niagara for $1.3 million at an open auction in late April with the intention of bringing it back to life as a condo-hotel.

Enter Stinson, the man once known as Toronto’s flamboyant condo king who came to Hamilton about four years ago to mixed reviews.

Stinson, whose own bid on the circa-1924 Niagara hotel came in second, says he and Kara have now finalized an agreement that puts Stinson in charge of the project.

According to Kara, Stinson brought $10 million to the table.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...lieve-in-harry

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:20 AM
Hammer'd

I guess that article pretty much confirms that the Hamilton Grand is dead.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I guess that article pretty much confirms that the Hamilton Grand is dead.
We have known this for a while, actually... the supposed flight of investors from the project was mentioned in a Spectator article a few weeks ago.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:29 AM

He's been all about Niagara for the last six months, recently hawking $24,900 "boardroom suites" in an investment hotel. What I don't quite understand is how he was outbid on the Hotel Niagara by a $50,000 margin, yet he's able to bring $10 million to the table four months later. I'm sure the answer is somewhere in the fine print.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues