HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 11:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yeah the wall behind the reen looks great - but what's with the food truck? move it to the side!!
OMG that's hilarious. Good laugh here...thanks mate. I hope you can see the sports channel logo on the side and back of the truck.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 11:50 PM

Time to change "u/c" to "completed"? Or shall we wait for the final rain seals? :-)

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 12:11 AM
Mac User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
WIKIPEDIA

Anyone wanna put a pic of the new BC Place and the new logo on its wikipedia page? I would, but I dont really know how to get pics on wikipedia without them being taken off immediately.

Thanks!
_

The whole BC Place Wikipedia article is a mess. Defiantly needs to be cleaned up, it doesn't have the correct figures for seating.

Since this renovation is more like a complete re-build the article should be about the new BC Place with a smaller section giving info on the old dome.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 12:43 AM

The wall behind the screen in the Terry Fox plaza looks great up close.

Not complaining, but I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't put this wall up over each of the ramp walls around the stadium. Would've looked great IMO.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 1:07 AM
Joshua B.

Friend telling me that truck is a Telus truck.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 1:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDDawg View Post
The wall behind the screen in the Terry Fox plaza looks great up close.

Not complaining, but I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't put this wall up over each of the ramp walls around the stadium. Would've looked great IMO.
That is gonna happen as will the additional video screens. But not until the spring of 2012

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterprinciple View Post
That is gonna happen as will the additional video screens. But not until the spring of 2012
Where'd you get that info?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterprinciple View Post
I'd like to know where you got that information? from my understanding, there were no plans for the video screen to be on all the walls of the stadium. but wouldn't complain if it happened!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 4:38 AM

Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Terry Fox Plaza looks a whole lot better. But I do not like that damn dirty ice cream/food truck against that brand new wall and hi-def video screen. C'mon, man.

On further inspection, it might be some kind of corporate truck. But still. That's the perfect spot for the Felions to be doing their pre-game show.

With regards to the logo, it looks much better when viewed in the context of animation like that.
It's a Telus marketing truck promoting Optik TV (hence, the Telus logo on the video screen). It's usually parked at Telus headquarters just up the street at Georgia and Seymour.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 5:38 AM

was down there tonight at kickoff - there was a large crowd watching the opening on the big screen - which in person is so crisp and clear and amazing

than the blackout started so most people left

i really like the plaza area, feels open and welcoming now, the lighted seating are a nice little touch

there is telus all over down there - the big screen during the game was showing a lot of telus ads and the big screens on the side were also showing telus ads...

i wish i could get inside

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 6:09 AM

global is reporting that the concessions had long lineups - as long as 40 minutes - people complaing about not being able to get beer fast enough

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 6:33 AM

the people on CTV seemed pissed while some understood they need to work out the kinks

they ran out of hot dogs - apparently people waited 40 minutes to get there and find out they waited for nothing

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 6:33 AM
Cheers!

After 10 minutes, I'd bail out of the line. 40 minutes? What a waste of a good ticket.

There were probably a lot of people who're just curious about the food and beverages offered.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 6:58 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

was down there tonight at kickoff - there was a large crowd watching the opening on the big screen - which in person is so crisp and clear and amazing

than the blackout started so most people left
Blackout? What blackout?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 7:00 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

As already posted the food truck was a Telus truck, there were Telus ads all over the place. The announced attendance was 50,251. The place looked great but there are some kinks to be worked out. The line ups were about 20min probably felt longer though. Not sure why about 33% of the concession stands were closed. Rules were all over the place some stands limited you to 2 beers while some only 1.
Surprised by how cold the place got once the centre opened, I wasn't dressed for it so it might not be that bad but we were all freezing.
The screens were surprising clear. The roof only took ~5min to open, was pleasantly surprised how quick it was.
I'll post some pics tomorrow, didn't take very many.

Last edited by jlousa; Oct 1, 2011 at 7:35 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Blackout? What blackout?
they stopped showing the game on the big screen - they just ran advertising - but they had showed all the pre-show stuff and the national anthem, the coin toss and a few seconds of the game before they blacked it out or blocked it out whatever term is correct

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 7:21 AM

A few pictures by me...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 7:38 AM
Reason and Freedom

Great photos. Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 7:45 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I just got back from the game. I had a great time.
The concourses and ramps are mostly just the same old concrete, that's true.
But the interior of the stadium looks fantastic.
The video screens, including the wraparounds, are so crisp and vivid it was amazing.
The roof looks fantastic, and seeing it open was awesome, as was watching the LED window panels. One row segment at the top centre was not functioning I noticed.

The concession lineups were very bad though, with some people near me saying they waited 30 min for warm beer, or no hotdogs, etc, as described above.

The game itself was fantastic though, I have no complaints.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 8:04 AM

I attended as well. I enjoyed the event and experiencing the newly renovated stadium. I didn't notice any overt branding of the stadium except for 'BC Place' but I suppose that might change for soccer games.

The concourse areas were a bit of a mess with the lineups. When it was light out the concourses were excellent with the new glass, very bright and airy compared to before. But when it gets dark it's a very dim concourse. Somehow I was expecting it to be better lit. The traffic flow was also very chaotic due to concessions every 20m or so, each jutting out into the pedestrian traffic. Overall it is an improvement over before though, that's for sure.

The stadium interior was really nice. The large screen was amazing, almost seemed too large as you walk through the entrances from the concourse. It almost makes the stadium seem smaller because of its size, but you get used to it really quick and is really spectacular. The ribbon bands, extra lighting, the acoustics, all very nice. The turf looked really good. As the pics show, they retracted the roof and it was very fast. While they did retract the fabric, they did not move the draping into that well below... they just let it hang there. Working as intended?

The announced the official attendance was just over 50,000. I can't remember the precise number.

I think the concourses need more work, but other than that it was an A+ experience.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver