HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 7:44 AM

Could Vancouver get ATP/WTA event?

Van open Ready to Grow Up
BY MARC WEBER, THE PROVINCE AUGUST 8, 2011

The Odlum Brown VanOpen is at the top of the Challenger food chain.
Having grown steadily for a decade, from a $25,000 women's event to a $200,000 combined tournament, there's no richer - or, given the location and housing setup, more unique - second-tier tennis tournament in the world.
The next decision is a big one: remain at this level (the maximum prize money for a Challenger) and work on perfecting the little things, or go for the big fish - full-fledged ATP and WTA Tour events.

"I think it can continue to grow and I wouldn't rule it out but I think that's a ways out," said tournament chair and underwriter Floyd Hill. "We have to make sure the community will support it, and it's not just the jump in prize money. It's the facilities, the linesmen and umpires, the services for the players, the hotels, and managing all that.
Financially, the minimum prize money for a WTA event is $220,000 and $450,000 for what's known as an ATP 250 level event on the men's side.

Would the Hollyburn Country Club be willing to accommodate?

Could the courts and amenities be built up enough, or would facilities like the Thunderbird Sports Centre at UBC, or the Richmond Oval or Vancouver Convention Centre be better?

There's also the rather large matter of finding a slot on the tour schedule.
It's already a crowded summer slate. There are more opportunities in the late fall, which means going indoors, and that ties into the venue debate.

"The players love it here," Hill said. "There's nothing like this."

Yet there are few reasons to dream bigger.
Vancouver has proven itself to be an event town. The grandstand was full for Sunday's finals and the VIP boxes were sold out, but Centre Court is limited to around 2,000 fans.
Beyond the tennis nuts, attracting the general public over the course of a week means attracting bigger-name players, and there's no secret formula - the prize money and ranking points dictate players' schedules.

There has been a tour event in Vancouver before.
In 2004, the VanOpen was a $110,000 WTA tournament at the Jericho Tennis Club. Frenchwoman Marion Bartoli, then ranked 56th, was the top seed.

International play has moved out east and to Alberta.

Odlum Brown and presenting sponsor Invesco are on board for another two years, as is the Hollyburn Country Club.

© Copyright (c) The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Va...#ixzz1UVyVxcA2

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 7:51 AM

Don't know if Vancouver could/would be able to pull of a major ATP/WTA event, but tennis is very popular in Vancouver and the region has seen a dramatic growth of potential venues that could play host to a major tournament. UBC is about to or has opened a beautiful tennis center that is on par with anything found in major NCAA programs in the US. The Richmond Oval could also be configured to host a tournament and would provide a spectacular setting. Thoughts?

P.S. Don't know if I posted the article according to the proper format, but I left out about 3/4 of it (it was quite long).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:44 PM

I always wondered why Vancouver was seldom on the map with regards to major tennis tournaments. We don't really have the facilities like Toronto does to host their annual Rogers Cup event, but Vancouver should definitely have something of the sort. The weather is beautiful for people to come out and I believe tennis is quite the popular sport here. To have major international tennis stars (Nadal, Federer, etc) come to our town would be unbelievable! I've said this before, but I truly believe, that Vancouver ought to have more pro sports teams and events available! hoping that the hollyburn will continue to grow, and grow, and become something big. I think people in Van would definitely support a major event like the WTA.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 5:13 AM

Davis Cup coming to Vancouver!

Here's the link: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2011/11/i...-to-vancouver/

Could the Odlum Brown make the move to the WTA major events? I'd love to see the likes of Federer, and the top players of the world come to Vancouver. I think it would be supported well by the people in the city.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 10:34 PM

...and it sold out in 25 min.

"Tennis BC CEO Ryan Clark said the tickets were sold in 25 minutes, a strong indication of the level of tennis interest in the province."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/D...#ixzz1fVuIYnKT

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 10:46 AM

I think eventually, the WTA has to see Vancouver as one of the cities they've got to make a stop in. There's strong support here. Obviously the Odlum Brown event is not a major stop, but from where it used to be, the event is growing, and the money is getting bigger too.

Infrastructure however, is a different story altogether. Gotta have that if you want the best players in the world to come and play...

And sponsors too...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 5:15 PM

Just a note of clarification here:

WTA = women's tour (Women's Tennis Association)
ATP = men's tour (Association of Tennis Professionals)

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 5:47 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I meant the ATP, then, but having the WTA wouldn't be bad either!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation