HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 11:21 PM
Chicago Kid

look at the pittsfield building sticking out all balling in that pic lol

to think it was the tallest building in chicago for awhile

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 12:04 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashingLights View Post
look at the pittsfield building sticking out all balling in that pic lol

to think it was the tallest building in chicago for awhile
It's certainly not the biggest building in the city anymore, but still one of my favorites. Just gorgeous.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 12:10 PM

Great shots! I can't believe that was taken in January, in Chicago!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 6:49 PM
THAT Guy

3750 N Halsted changes

Now 25 and 10 stories tall. I wonder if this is what the NIMBYs had in mind.

Old

New

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 11:15 PM
vertical

YES I LOVE IT. Taller and oriented along Halsted instead of Bradley. This is so awesome. The developer's basically flipping the bird to the NIMBYs in the area while making the project better for the city and the neighborhood.

I wonder if there's any change in the unit count?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
YES I LOVE IT. Taller and oriented along Halsted instead of Bradley. This is so awesome. The developer's basically flipping the bird to the NIMBYs in the area while making the project better for the city and the neighborhood.
BOOM!!! This project fixed all of its massing and alignment issues in one fell swoop. It is hard to tell from these basic elevations, but if the materiality of the podium has been changed to better match the contemporary towers this project took a fantastic 180.

Kudos to these guys for having some serious balls

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 4:48 AM

So is this an example of positive NIMBY-ism?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 4:53 AM
High above the Gold Coast

Ooo, Much better. I also think that rooftop area will be more pleasant with the lowrise piece giving a bit more human scale. The base looks resolved

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
The base looks resolved
Glad to see that common sense finally prevailed and the loading docks were moved off of Bradley and onto Halsted.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 10:58 AM
vertical

^^ Why do we think it's more acceptable to have loading docks on major streets with strong pedestrian traffic than on side streets? Ideally, side streets are where you want the curb cuts, since it is least disruptive there. If you have the space on the lot, you can even design the loading dock to be fully enclosed to reduce the noise.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 3:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I wonder if there's any change in the unit count?
BAHAHAHAHAHA. This is exactly what I wanted. It was also exactly what that one guy on the facebook group kept advocating that they chased away and then he stormed off and left the group. I wonder if the NIMBY's listened to him or if the developer was watching the group for ideas? Anyhow, fucking hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
So is this an example of positive NIMBY-ism?
Yes and no. The NIMBY's were mostly bad until some people from here and a handful of other sane minds joined in and started advocating EXACTLY what the design has been changed to.

Quote:
^^ Why do we think it's more acceptable to have loading docks on major streets with strong pedestrian traffic than on side streets? Ideally, side streets are where you want the curb cuts, since it is least disruptive there. If you have the space on the lot, you can even design the loading dock to be fully enclosed to reduce the noise.
Well that's the toughest part about this site. Neither Grace nor Bradley is really fit for a loading dock. Either street would be hell to navigate with a truck and both are pretty quiet streets. Unfortunately I don't think there is any choice for this site but to put the dock entrance on Halsted.

At the same time I don't think it's that big of a deal because it is a residential building and therefore the dock will probably be pretty quiet. Maybe with one or two trucks a day.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 5:16 PM
All-American City Boy

Not that I disagree with the new proposal, but can anyone tell me why a tall thin tower is better than a shorter, fuller massing?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 6:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Not that I disagree with the new proposal, but can anyone tell me why a tall thin tower is better than a shorter, fuller massing?
The original site plan was a giant "L" shaped building built to 15 floors along Grace, the West Lot line, and a portion of Bradley. This would have turned Grace into a ridiculous canyon as Grace is an extremely skinny street and would have had a 15 foot building adjoining a 1 story building on Grace and a 2 story building on Bradley along the West lot line which is hardly respectful to the neighborhood. The new design shifts as much of the massing as possible off the side streets and onto Halsted/Broadway which is a much wider, more commercial, street. This has the added benefit of changing what would have been a wall blocking all downtown views from 828 W Grace and Gill Park into a minor infringement on their view corridors while at the same time making the apartments on the upper floors more lucrative as they will now have full lake views as there is a wall of 15-18 story buildings along the lake that block the lower floor views.

I see this as a win for everyone. The 3-4 floor podium is much more respectful to the existing massing along Bradley and Grace, the developer gets more lucrative units, the NIMBY's get to keep their views, and we get a more handsome, taller, tower added to our skyline.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 6:50 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
The original site plan was a giant "L" shaped building built to 15 floors along Grace, the West Lot line, and a portion of Bradley. This would have turned Grace into a ridiculous canyon as Grace is an extremely skinny street and would have had a 15 foot building adjoining a 1 story building on Grace and a 2 story building on Bradley along the West lot line which is hardly respectful to the neighborhood. The new design shifts as much of the massing as possible off the side streets and onto Halsted/Broadway which is a much wider, more commercial, street. This has the added benefit of changing what would have been a wall blocking all downtown views from 828 W Grace and Gill Park into a minor infringement on their view corridors while at the same time making the apartments on the upper floors more lucrative as they will now have full lake views as there is a wall of 15-18 story buildings along the lake that block the lower floor views.

I see this as a win for everyone. The 3-4 floor podium is much more respectful to the existing massing along Bradley and Grace, the developer gets more lucrative units, the NIMBY's get to keep their views, and we get a more handsome, taller, tower added to our skyline.
Roger that. I didn't realize open air space could be beneficial. I also didn't notice the little 2 story box next door. Thanks for the explanation.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 6:52 PM
High above the Gold Coast

Quote:
It seemed too squat and massive IMO. I have no problem with a series of similar height or massed midrises in a row so as long as they vary in design. But when it's one giant building, it's a bit heavy. This looks more like multiple buildings which I like.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 7:04 PM
BANNED

^^^ Good point about how it seems to break up the massing more.

Quote:
Roger that. I didn't realize open air space could be beneficial. I also didn't notice the little 2 story box next door. Thanks for the explanation.
Yep, back in the glory days of the boom there was a lot of discussion about how the "taller/thinner" trend was making for a more pleasant built environment. This is very much along those lines.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Nowhereman already touched on it, but Bradley is just unfit for navigating large trucks in and out of a loading dock. It is a narrow, quiet, all residential one way street and the proposed changes would have been incredibly disruptive imo. Halsted has the width, is a major artery and judging by the revised site plan posted on curbed it seems that the docks were consolidated to a single entryway along with the switch to Halsted.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 8:56 PM

Not my shot - found it here. Interesting perspective (80th floor of Aon), particularly as it relates to the CityFront Plaza/Optima/Ronald McDonald.

I would LOVE to see the Trib sell their parking lot so a tower could fill in that last gap. Lord knows they could use the scratch...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 9:50 PM
dream fast

Great perspective north of the river. Good find, markh9.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Nowhereman already touched on it, but Bradley is just unfit for navigating large trucks in and out of a loading dock. It is a narrow, quiet, all residential one way street and the proposed changes would have been incredibly disruptive imo. Halsted has the width, is a major artery and judging by the revised site plan posted on curbed it seems that the docks were consolidated to a single entryway along with the switch to Halsted.
It's been a few decades, but IIRC Bradley is unfit for navigating large cars on many days, and whenever there is >8" of snow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations