HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive



Penn Medicine at Washington Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum
            
View Full Map

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 1:28 PM
Pennsgrant Pennsgrant is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Infill is always good. I'd rather this then a parking garage... and I'd rather the Family Court Building then a surface lot. So right now I'll take what we are getting. Things are starting to pick up again so hopefully soon we'll be seeing some higher towers.
Oppurtunities to build the skyline come along so infrequently that Center City has to take advantage. This was one of those oppurtunities to grow the skyline eastward. Jefferson smurfed out on us and so do Penn in this case. Throw an extra 10 stories of office,residential or spec so that skyline grows.

From the Loews to St James Tower there is a 1/2 mile long gap that desperately needs height. 2 oppurtunities down the drain with Jeff(9th St) + Penn Medical(8th ST). If Philly still had the vision of the late 80's 90's skyscraper boom then they would have demanded the extra height to put a stamp on the skyline.

2 very disappointing projects imo.
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 2:06 PM
Aaamazarite's Avatar
Aaamazarite Aaamazarite is offline
Cory Trevor Leahy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wash West
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Oppurtunities to build the skyline come along so infrequently that Center City has to take advantage. This was one of those oppurtunities to grow the skyline eastward. Jefferson smurfed out on us and so do Penn in this case. Throw an extra 10 stories of office,residential or spec so that skyline grows.

From the Loews to St James Tower there is a 1/2 mile long gap that desperately needs height. 2 oppurtunities down the drain with Jeff(9th St) + Penn Medical(8th ST). If Philly still had the vision of the late 80's 90's skyscraper boom then they would have demanded the extra height to put a stamp on the skyline.

2 very disappointing projects imo.
Jefferson still has a few more buildings coming soon... an Ambulatory Care Center and a Research Lab building should be coming to the 900 block of Sansom and 9th/Chestnut. The old Master Plan from years ago put a pretty big building there, but that's probably a pipe dream now. I only know this because I overheard some guys from Jeff talking about it while waiting for my sandwich at Primo hoagie.

There's also the possibility that the Walnut Street Theatre Tower or something like it could get built on the 800 block of walnut. Don't count on it. The only other thing I can think of is if/when Market East is renewed the possibility of towers over the Gallery and a tower at 8th/Market will become more realistic.
__________________
Philaphilia is back and better than ever! Learn about Old-Ass Buildings, Chronically Empty Center City Storefronts, Butt-Fugly Buildings, and all the other crap that you Philaphiles love!
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 3:38 PM
randy2011 randy2011 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
this Philly is Great... what about pentagon?
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 5:09 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Infill is always good. I'd rather this then a parking garage... and I'd rather the Family Court Building then a surface lot. So right now I'll take what we are getting. Things are starting to pick up again so hopefully soon we'll be seeing some higher towers.
This isn't exactly "in-fill". There's an existing 7-story parking garage with ground floor retail already in place that's not going anywhere. This is simply stacking some glass on top of it.

Pennsgrant, don't be too disappointed, the world's a tough place now, and i wouldnt lose any sleep over a 300' tower that will add some construction and permanent jobs to our city.

There's also dozens of empty lots in Center City still--unfortunately, we're not running out of space that quickly. And as someone alluded to, to get the "mega-skyline" feel, all it will take is a 1000' at 8th and Market.
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 8:42 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,855
It's adding density to an underutilized part of Center City. There is plenty of room for towers... not every tower is 1000+ feet tall. Even New York is JUST starting to build multiple supertalls. Building a supertall in this area would look absolutely RIDICULOUS without building it up some more first. There needs to be more 200-800 or 900 foot towers before a supertall is even thought of East of broad. Right now the only proper place for a supertall would be the empty lot on Market or the lot next to the Comcast Center. Right now we're lucky Philadelphia is getting ANY construction at all... so you should be grateful we're even getting this much interest in our city. There is a reason that Houston and LA's skylines are atrocious looking and Philadelphia's is not. The Planning Commission and developers actually put thought into shaping the skyline and making sure everything fits and they don't just throw an 800 foot glass box on a random lot.
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 10:39 PM
Pennsgrant Pennsgrant is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
It's adding density to an underutilized part of Center City. There is plenty of room for towers... not every tower is 1000+ feet tall. Even New York is JUST starting to build multiple supertalls. Building a supertall in this area would look absolutely RIDICULOUS without building it up some more first. There needs to be more 200-800 or 900 foot towers before a supertall is even thought of East of broad. Right now the only proper place for a supertall would be the empty lot on Market or the lot next to the Comcast Center. Right now we're lucky Philadelphia is getting ANY construction at all... so you should be grateful we're even getting this much interest in our city. There is a reason that Houston and LA's skylines are atrocious looking and Philadelphia's is not. The Planning Commission and developers actually put thought into shaping the skyline and making sure everything fits and they don't just throw an 800 foot glass box on a random lot.
No not 800' but rather 400'-500' to carry the skyline eastward. We already have enough density E of Broad but its in the 100'-200' range. Jefferson + Penn Medicine had an oppurtunity to pop the skyline with their new towers, all they needed was another 10 stories.

I was flying in the other day and there is an abrupt end to the high rise/midrises at 12th St(Loew's Hotel.) You need 380'-400' to really make a noticeable impact from 95.the chuylkill Bridges and South Philly- the signature skyline viewing area.
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 10:59 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,855
I'm sure more highrises will come. Jefferson will build more, Penn has plans to move their entire Penn Medicine operation to Center City in this area and to use existing buildings in University City for "private research." Also there are plans to revitalize Market East and Franklin Square. I'm sure other projects will arise as well. Basically this area depends on the revitalization of Market East which we should see starting this year.
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 11:12 PM
Pennsgrant Pennsgrant is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I'm sure more highrises will come. Jefferson will build more, Penn has plans to move their entire Penn Medicine operation to Center City in this area and to use existing buildings in University City for "private research." Also there are plans to revitalize Market East and Franklin Square. I'm sure other projects will arise as well. Basically this area depends on the revitalization of Market East which we should see starting this year.
DUDE I have been hearing about these plans for the past 30 years, they never happen.

If I get a chance later I will photoshop the skyline with 400'-500' towers from 12th to 2nd. It will double the skyline.
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 11:48 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,855
That would be cool
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 2:25 PM
Aaamazarite's Avatar
Aaamazarite Aaamazarite is offline
Cory Trevor Leahy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wash West
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
DUDE I have been hearing about these plans for the past 30 years, they never happen.
Took the words right out of my mouth. The only hope we have for Market East right now is that the Girard Estate hoopty store building has gone to month-to-month leases and that large billboard thing passed. Other than that, who knows...
__________________
Philaphilia is back and better than ever! Learn about Old-Ass Buildings, Chronically Empty Center City Storefronts, Butt-Fugly Buildings, and all the other crap that you Philaphiles love!
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 3:43 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,855
Mark Squilla's first priority is Market East. If he is any bit as good as Frank DiCicco he should get things done. I guess we'll see
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 8:05 PM
Phillydude's Avatar
Phillydude Phillydude is offline
<Future NFL star
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklawn, NJ
Posts: 676
I had to take my wife for cataract surgery to Wills Eye today so guess where I went -- the parking garage roof. You can just ride up there like you own the place -- nothing to stop you and the construction area is cordoned off by Jersey barriers -- there's still parking up there. Anyway the strange looking things visible from the street appear to be a mock up of what the exterior walls will look like, much like they did for Comcast Center. They have started erecting 7 columns, which are anchored into the roof of the garage. It appears they jackhammered out the parking deck over existing columns and connected the new ones to them. 4 have the mold around them, ready for concrete, and 3 are just rebar units. There is also a huge pile of rebar sitting on the deck.
__________________
One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 10:24 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillydude View Post
I had to take my wife for cataract surgery to Wills Eye today so guess where I went -- the parking garage roof. You can just ride up there like you own the place -- nothing to stop you and the construction area is cordoned off by Jersey barriers -- there's still parking up there. Anyway the strange looking things visible from the street appear to be a mock up of what the exterior walls will look like, much like they did for Comcast Center. They have started erecting 7 columns, which are anchored into the roof of the garage. It appears they jackhammered out the parking deck over existing columns and connected the new ones to them. 4 have the mold around them, ready for concrete, and 3 are just rebar units. There is also a huge pile of rebar sitting on the deck.
Thanks for the updates. Things have been VERY slow moving on this tower
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 12:44 AM
Phillydude's Avatar
Phillydude Phillydude is offline
<Future NFL star
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklawn, NJ
Posts: 676
I was up at Willis Eye today for my wife's follow up appointment. There is no noticeable progress since the last time I was there (February 15). Very slow moving. I did notice one thing -- the ramp to the roof comes up right in the middle of it. All the construction is being done on the side of the ramp closest to 8th Street. Nothing has been done on the other side of the ramp.
__________________
One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 1:24 PM
blorkishdork blorkishdork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bella Vista
Posts: 312
I was up there monday night around 9 and they had closed off walnut st from 8th to 9th looking like they were moving equipment all the way to the top of the garage. Not sure what all was going on. I'll be there tonight as well I'll remember my camera if I remember.
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:54 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,855
Ok, thanks for the updates guys It's possible they are bracing the structure, the parking garage was constructed to have a tower on top of it though so I don't know what is going on.
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 1:43 PM
blorkishdork blorkishdork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bella Vista
Posts: 312
Nothing was going on when I walked past it last night. I usually walk by there twice a week meeting my wife at the subway who gets out of grad classes late, so I'll have my phone and/or camera ready when needed.
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 1:18 AM
Phillydude's Avatar
Phillydude Phillydude is offline
<Future NFL star
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklawn, NJ
Posts: 676
The crane is up on top of the garage. The outer columns for the first floor are almost done -- some are just the molds, others are actually concrete. Moving along now -- this thread should be moved.
__________________
One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 2:39 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillydude View Post
The crane is up on top of the garage. The outer columns for the first floor are almost done -- some are just the molds, others are actually concrete. Moving along now -- this thread should be moved.
Awesome! Thanks Phillydude
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 2:16 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
The Hammer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Polis Philou Adelfou
Posts: 4,042
And moved.
__________________
CCME | CtL | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
   
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:25 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.