HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
I don't know where to put this but:

Why doesn't the WCE have all day service?
Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
Probably because its designed to be commuter rail

That WCE bus they have after the morning trains is a joke. It meanders all over hell's half-acre to get downtown (that's necessary I suppose) but seems even sillier when you consider there's only one such bus.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The track is leased for certain runs. It's in use by CP/CN during the day.
Thank You. So could the Translink not double track or lay new tracks out to mission?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 12:19 AM

Track time is an issue, ridership is another issue. I don't think there is enough demand for such service outside of peak hours, so it isn't viable to run the service without huge subsidy. Plus.. why would TransLink spend money on upgrading something that's not their's...?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 3:53 AM

I would love to see Waterfront to Mission morning trains and mission to waterfront evening trains so transit fans can do a round trip and check out mission.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
I would love to see Waterfront to Mission morning trains and mission to waterfront evening trains so transit fans can do a round trip and check out mission.
Try this on any weekday:

1. West Coast Express from Waterfront at 3:50pm, arrive Mission 5:05pm

2. BC Transit Line 31 leaving Mission at 5:07pm, or 5:20pm, arriving Abbotsford Exchange at 5:35pm or 5:45pm

3. BC Transit Line 21 leaving Abbotsford Exchange at 5:47pm, arrive Aldergrove (272st at fraser Hwy) at 6:17pm

4. Translink Line 502 leaving Aldergrove (272 at Fraser Hwy) at 6:40pm, arrive Surrey Central station at 7:50pm

5. Skytrain Expo Line to Waterfront - 38 minutes, arriving at approximately 8:35pm.

Cost:
$11.75 for WCE - ticket valid for three hours from time of issue on all BC Transit routes (so will pay for your trip to Aldergove)

$2.50 for the 502 includes transfer to Skytrain (one zone fare in effect after 6:30pm)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:15 AM

I know about that, but I want to go both ways in a single day without over-nighting.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:52 AM

Having at least 1 reverse train a day would be nice, i agree. Because then i could go out and visit family in Maple Ridge via train, instead of driving (sorry, but no way i am busing, too slow and too many transfers)

A single saturday and Sunday train would be nice as well.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:12 AM

^Speaking of which, I have no idea why they cancelled the weekend train bus. I used to use it all the time to visit family, and it was always nearly full.

You'd think there would be higher priorities for cancellation than a bus where everyone is paying $5-$10...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 3:29 PM

They said the Saturday and Sunday service took away their focus as a commuter service.

The current track time contract expires 2014. I think they are negotiating additional trips but likely in the peak hour direction only.

I suggested at the very least they should introduce two way all day bus service.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 6:13 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendjack View Post
In lots of places anything 15 minutes or less is considered frequent service. We're just a bit spoiled. Waiting for the C-Train when I'm back in Calgary these days can drive me crazy.

Although, come to think of it, when the Evergreen Line opens, I'm pretty sure you'll be getting frequency in the 3 to 5 minute range (its after midnight and I can't remember correctly) and right from the get go you'll be getting frequency that's greater than the Canada Line's 12 minutes on its branches at night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i know thats why i think its laughable that people in here whine about it lol

thats all

i was in san francisco catching a muni train and we had gotten to the platform and the sign said we had to wait 14 mins! and this was just after dinner around 6:30 pm on a weekday - coming back from where we were going was even worse - apparently the train only ran once an hour and we ended up waiting two hours cause something happenned and they just didn't run the train we were waiting for
Can't have said it better:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echowinds View Post
I think Skytrain as a whole is excellent and has frequencies on par with subway lines in cities several times larger than Vancouver, but that doesn't mean it is laughable to point out there few weaknesses there are.
Shouldn't we always be aiming higher?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 6:35 PM

Does anyone have numbers of the ridership of the B-line routes over the past few years as well as anticipated numbers on the Evergreen line/actual numbers on the Canada line?

Thanks

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 8:32 PM

Does anyone know whether the City has a plan for the land surrounding Olympic Village station?

Hard to imagine a parking lot being the best possible use for that space...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post

^
totally

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 3:00 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I don't remember which thread we had our previous discussion on the new signage at New Westminster Station, so I'll just plug it in here temporarily.

Here's a photo I took the other night of their exit sign designs (note: AddFare machine). Any more thoughts on the design? Have to say, I'm quite unimpressed.

Last edited by deasine; Feb 27, 2012 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 3:46 AM
zoom zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I don't remember which thread we had our previous discussion on the new signage at New Westminster Station, so I'll just plug it in here temporarily.

--picture snipped--

Here's a photo I took the other night of their exit sign designs (hint: AddFare machine). Have to say, I'm quite unimpressed.
If they were trying to hide it so that nobody would see it unless they knew it was there, then it'd be a grand success. Otherwise.. not so much.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post

Here's a photo I took the other night of their exit sign designs (note: AddFare machine). Any more thoughts on the design? Have to say, I'm quite unimpressed.
Well at least it says "Exit" now instead of "Way Out" or "Out". "Exit" seems to be much more universally understood.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:08 PM
formerly tin²ium

"Way Out" is well understood. And where's the little green running man?

A good article about the "Exit" sign and the Little green running man.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 9:31 PM

regarding signage

"EXIT" is North American. "WAY IN / WAY OUT" is British.

(oh, and purely for the interest of those who haven't seen it, in Paris a stop sign is now the classic red octagon with "STOP" stop painted on, if you
can believe it. Plus, the French have incorporated the verb "stopper" into their language, to mean stop. How this differs from 'arrêter' still eludes me,
but anyway the Québec seperatisits would be up in arms over this, although of course that's another issue)

The point I was simply trying to make is how people perceive and interpret differently.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:01 AM
formerly tin²ium

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

"EXIT" is North American. "WAY IN / WAY OUT" is British.
And Running man is international!

In 2015, Running man is expected to be introduced into the building code of Canada. Don't know if this will apply only to new construction, though.

Whatever the words are, I'm a fan of the running man!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:36 AM

I like the Running Man, and agree it should be incorporated into Skytrain signs here.

Why I say Exit is more universally understood, when I was in Germany and Poland a few years ago they had EXIT and their German/Polish equivalent next to each actual exit. I have only seen "Way Out" in London UK was I was there, as the previous poster stated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure