HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3041  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 8:12 PM
Complex01's Avatar
Complex01 Complex01 is offline
Endless Moments...
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Texas...
Posts: 2,926
I like it. Great for the area and i love the part that is mentioned that the company has other projects its working on in the area. Very Kewl.

Keep it up SA...

__________________
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3042  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 5:37 PM
kornbread kornbread is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 676
On the other side of downtown, there was a mention of some property near 1221 Broadway. No real plans, but it does mention that one of the property owners is Hixon who has done several projects on the riverwalk.

Quote:
A request to close a 16-foot-wide right of way south of 12th Street and the 1221 Broadway apartment complex, between Avenue A and Avenue B, lands on the Planning Commission agenda Wednesday. A.A. Seeligson, Jr. River North Ltd., a partnership which includes Hixon Properties Inc., is petitioning the city to gain ownership for “potential future development,” according to the agenda....

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...h-development/
This group owns the property just south and west of 1221 (right across from the SAMA).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1221+b...Texas&t=h&z=18
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3043  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 10:21 AM
adtobias adtobias is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 267
What are they building near the emily morgan hotel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3044  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 4:24 PM
miaht82's Avatar
miaht82 miaht82 is offline
COGSADCAJA, Treasurer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Triangle
Posts: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
What are they building near the emily morgan hotel...
parking garage
__________________
The Raleigh Connoisseur
It is the city trying to escape the consequences of being a city
while still remaining a city. It is urban society trying to eat its
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3045  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 4:34 PM
The Model's Avatar
The Model The Model is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 204
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3046  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 4:37 PM
The Model's Avatar
The Model The Model is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 204


Just behind the San Antonio Museum of Arts on the river.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3047  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 9:59 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Er uh...
Posts: 5,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
What a lovely view of the parking garage those apartments will have. Nice planning, starchitect! (Nice photo, Raul.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3048  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 3:35 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
What a lovely view of the parking garage those apartments will have. Nice planning, starchitect! (Nice photo, Raul.)
That's the new SAPD/SAFD HQ. Not a residential building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3049  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 5:05 AM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Er uh...
Posts: 5,826
OK, my mistake. But why shouldn't cops have a nice view? Why not have the garage on the bottom and the building on top? Anyway, the point is moot because the building is almost done.

Where is it anyway? Near the old jail on the west side of downtown?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3050  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 8:12 AM
Lando Lando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 131
^^ Old K-mart lot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3051  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 3:57 PM
miaht82's Avatar
miaht82 miaht82 is offline
COGSADCAJA, Treasurer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Triangle
Posts: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
OK, my mistake. But why shouldn't cops have a nice view? Why not have the garage on the bottom and the building on top? Anyway, the point is moot because the building is almost done.

Where is it anyway? Near the old jail on the west side of downtown?
Great point Jack. Let's just hope they remembered to have exits for those cars to come out of the garage since function seemed to be the least of their concern.
__________________
The Raleigh Connoisseur
It is the city trying to escape the consequences of being a city
while still remaining a city. It is urban society trying to eat its
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3052  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 7:55 PM
Complex01's Avatar
Complex01 Complex01 is offline
Endless Moments...
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Texas...
Posts: 2,926
Hello,

If anyone has time check out this site and do the survey about San Antonio's DT streets. Just click on survey once visit the site below.

http://sa-dts.com/

The deadline to give your feedback on the city’s downtown transportation study is 5 p.m. Friday - 3-16-2012.

Just wanted to share...

__________________
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3053  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 6:02 AM
Spoiler Spoiler is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 58
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3054  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:28 PM
Complex01's Avatar
Complex01 Complex01 is offline
Endless Moments...
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Texas...
Posts: 2,926
I just saw that this thing was proposed back in 2011. Time sure does fly by.

Its in a good location and walkable from from the pearl and all the stuff going up on broadway. Very Kewl...
__________________
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3055  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 4:57 PM
necropolis necropolis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 151
From the San Antonio Business Journal
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...yes-major.html

"Rackspace Hosting Inc. founder and chairman Graham Weston says he will forge partnerships with a dozen or more real estate developers over the next two years to further develop the city center into a livable, walkable urban environment that will attract and retain young professionals."

".. his plan — which he’ll unveil within the next six months — will involve “philanthropic capitalism” akin to Pace Foods billionaire Kit Goldsbury’s Pearl Brewery redevelopment..."

I'm really excited to see what this plan is and what can come from it. We are so lucky to have him at the helm because if not for Mr. Weston Rackspace may have been moved to the East Coast somewhere and not to its new Windcrest headquarters.

Anyone with a subscription who can see more and share some other details of what's included in the article?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3056  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 6:50 PM
Keep-SA-Lame's Avatar
Keep-SA-Lame Keep-SA-Lame is online now
COGSADCAJA- Publicist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 448
I was only the other day thinking wistfully "If only SA had someone like the Bass Brothers of Fort Worth, things would really start to get going downtown". Talk about timing....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3057  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 7:45 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
I was only the other day thinking wistfully "If only SA had someone like the Bass Brothers of Fort Worth, things would really start to get going downtown". Talk about timing....
You have the gift.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3058  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:20 PM
car2004 car2004 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
What a lovely view of the parking garage those apartments will have. Nice planning, starchitect! (Nice photo, Raul.)
I passed by this building two weeks ago. I had not been in the area since jan 01st. I was shocked at how much was done, but more shocked at how pathetic the planning of this building was. What is wrong with SA?! Do tall, more effective and efficient buildings scare them? Do they not plan for the future?! This new building is the same size as the parking. That is really sad. Okay, on one hand, the police now have a more updated building. On the other hand, is it really much bigger than what they already had? Will they need more space within the next two years or less? Reminds me of the way UTSA works, build a two story parking garage costing over 50 million, build more parking lots and just cut down any near by trees. Sooner or later, that school will run low on any more room to build on. Just look at Valero, how smart they were - no ground parking, and it looks much nicer from street view and from above. They intrigrated the building within the trees - and if they need more room, I am sure they would be taller and intrigrate the planning with the trees or, even, tear one building down (something downtown SA would call "Histrortic" - not everything is just because it is old! This is similar to what was done with the building that was just built off 281 and 1604. A building that should have been placed downtown, but was "too moderate". If SA keeps building for the short-term and not thinking for the long-term, we are going to have serious issues when the price of gas becomes too high to travel 20 miles to work and 20 miles back to home. Centralization is key to a successful city. The SA population has grown, what, by 100,000 in the last 20 years, while Austin has grown much faster, beyond what anyone would think - because they are more innovative and willing to take chances, and they know that if they want a continued successful city wherein people want to live and work, they must change and adapt to new, ever-changing environments.

Yes, SA, keep building outward and do not focus on what is happening inward (many parts of downtown need some serious work). Every large city in the U.S., among large cities in other counties, has taken into consideration the changing climate. Think about this as an example, SA spent millions and millions growing outward, yet, malls are closing down, stores such as Best Buy, NM, Sears, Target, and more are facing trouble, even the theaters. So, what would one want to have in a city, what would one look to in a city to move into and build on the population? - a city with so many closed down and abandoned areas - or a centralized city wherein the likelihood of shores closing is less due to people being near by. As long as you have people, they will need to buy things, and even if a store closes, it will not be closed forever since "limited space" and people wanting to start their own business or etc., comes into play. Think of how many stores are closed in downtown NY and compare that to downtown SA. Another thing to consider - no one has time to be sitting in traffic for 2 hours each trip to work and the gas; no wonder the drivers here are crazy. It is like the i10/410 area. It tools years to finish, once it was finished, it was just as congested has before. I mean, come on, for crying out load, two lines to go from i10 to 410 East and one line to go from i10 to 410 West?!

Last edited by car2004; Apr 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3059  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 9:03 AM
adtobias adtobias is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 267
I agree. I think it was job security to build the same two lane 410/I10 interchange. I think it was better before.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3060  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 7:59 PM
miaht82's Avatar
miaht82 miaht82 is offline
COGSADCAJA, Treasurer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Triangle
Posts: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
The SA population has grown, what, by 100,000 in the last 20 years, while Austin has grown much faster, beyond what anyone would think - because they are more innovative and willing to take chances, and they know that if they want a continued successful city wherein people want to live and work, they must change and adapt to new, ever-changing environments.
I will pick apart the rest of your comments in a moment, but I had to correct you on this. SA's (city) population was 935,933 in 1990 and 1,327,407 in 2010; a difference of almost 400,000. Austins (city) population was 472,020 in 1990 and was 790,390 in 2010; a difference of about 318,000. Percentage-wise, yes, much faster; but not so much in total. If we go by percentage, Schertz outgrew Austin and therefore knows what it takes to grow "fast."
SA has a density of 3,400 sq/mi while Austin has a density of 2,653 sq/mile. I only mention city because you mentioned centralization, which would mostly consist of the central city, which is why I didn't count metro #'s or size of suburbs.
The city built the police hq's to house and to abandon the old building and make room for a new courthouse, which will be alot larger than the old one. They moved out mostly for the fact that it is cheaper to build than it is to renovate. There is space for growth on the southern side of the lot if they need to add more sq. ft. later.
I also don't get your point besides needless ranting; if a city was more central, why would it need more people sitting in the police admin building DT? Isn't the point of higher densities the fact that you need LESS services to cover the same area?
But this is all pointless in for the sake of argument of public or government offices. Having worked in the public realm 1/3 of my life, I know that you can't build "extra space" just for the heck of it, unless and until there is a justification for it. For example, BAMC, or now SAMMC; they built a new hospital which added hundreds of thousands of sq. ft. of space to the hospital which made room for a couple of thousand of new employees yet until those people actually started to work there was there a "justification" for spending millions on a parking garage to house their cars. So where did all of those new workers park? Well they had to park and shuttle from Ft. Sam to BAMC until the garage opened for use. Common sense would say "build the garage first" right? But in the world of contracts with taxpayer dollars attached to it, you can't use common sense and assumptions. As for your traffic example; you can't build 10 lanes everywhere because it will someday become congested, you have to be stuck in traffic for a long time before an extra lane is put in.
I'm guessing the same thing for UTSA; they build a garage to house cars so that they can build on a parking lot, but they still have to build a parking lot to cover the spaces that the construction will take out of commission while housing all of the equipment.
This isn't only SA, it happens like this everywhere public dollars are used. Yes SA has serious work to do DT but it isn't all hopeless; there are over 1,200 units being built right now DT and that's just part of it. SA is looking to spend many, many millions to improve DT in the near future so its not like it is just being ignored.
__________________
The Raleigh Connoisseur
It is the city trying to escape the consequences of being a city
while still remaining a city. It is urban society trying to eat its
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:44 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.