HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:58 AM

I like the running man symbol, too. My only concern is that thi could be misinterpreted as "emergency exit," or such.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I like the running man symbol, too. My only concern is that thi could be misinterpreted as "emergency exit," or such.
Your concern is highly warranted.

I had never seen the symbol before and assumed it was for an emergency exit.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 4:09 AM

For the places I've been to that have this symbol, it stands for emergency exit.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 4:18 AM
Vancouver Moderator

That's the thing. I like the running man, but it serves as a replacement for our Emergency Exit signs, and shouldn't be used as a symbol for regular exit signage.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:44 AM

Quote:

"EXIT" is North American. "WAY IN / WAY OUT" is British.

(oh, and purely for the interest of those who haven't seen it, in Paris a stop sign is now the classic red octagon with "STOP" stop painted on, if you
can believe it. Plus, the French have incorporated the verb "stopper" into their language, to mean stop. How this differs from 'arrêter' still eludes me,
but anyway the Québec seperatisits would be up in arms over this, although of course that's another issue)

The point I was simply trying to make is how people perceive and interpret differently.
Yes, having lived in Quebec for several years, I found their government to be very protective of their language and are hypersensitive to any hint of anglicization. But in everyday spoken French they use all kinds of english words like "le shopping" and "le parking". They also nicely adopted the word "f**k" into their language and even conjugated it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:50 AM
formerly tin²ium

So, is this a regular or an emergency exit? Or could it be both?

A selection of signs:

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 10:27 AM

Could we keep the "running man" symbol, if everyone is so hyper - keen on it, only have him WALKING instead of running? This might avoid confusion with emergency exits.

Even here in France, the green running man symbol is a fire or emergency exit symbol.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 11:36 AM
Lower Lonsdale YIMBY

I think I said this before, but as someone who's lived a significant amount of time in Canada, Australia and New Zealand, "way out" is similar to "far away," not exit.

And from my job experience, no one in Vancouver knows what an emergency exit is - regardless of signage. Even those ones that make you wait 20 seconds are ineffective.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:25 PM

Any regular exit usually doubles as an emergency exit during an emergency. However a designated emergency exit is just that and usually not used regularly.

During an emergency people don't care how they get out, they just want to get out. You don't stop and think well gee that is a regular exit and not an emergency exit. So I shouldn't use that exit. No you see an exit and you get out. Whether that exit was designated as a regular exit or an emergency exit.

However the running man symbol seems to imply that it relates to an emergency in some way or another.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 3:18 PM

Why not colour-code them, in that case? Green for a normal exit; red or orange (with a flame motif) for an emergency exit. The first with someone "walking" normally, the second with someone in a "running" position.

Colour-coding is often very effective. People associate green with safety, red with danger, orange for an alert or emergency, and so forth.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 8:08 PM
formerly tin²ium

The original icon for the running man was meant to convey the idea of running slowly. They played with the angles of the legs to accomplish this.

It was designed to be a clear indicator of where the exit was in the case of emergencies, yes.

Color coding the same symbol for different kinds of exits is confusing. An exit is an exit. Coloring emergency exits RED is also not a good idea (which is why there are advocates for switching to green signs for the exit).

A red or orange sign with a flame motif means what? This is where the fire equipment is? This area contains flammable materials? Recipe for disaster.

The whole reason for green signs over red is that the color red, as you mentioned, conveys danger, whereas green conveys safety. You should read that article I linked to before. It's an interesting read. Especially interesting is that two separate teams in Russia and Japan came up with very similar icons. The ISO chose the Japanese symbol.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
The original icon for the running man was meant to convey the idea of running slowly. They played with the angles of the legs to accomplish this.

It was designed to be a clear indicator of where the exit was in the case of emergencies, yes.

Color coding the same symbol for different kinds of exits is confusing. An exit is an exit. Coloring emergency exits RED is also not a good idea (which is why there are advocates for switching to green signs for the exit).

A red or orange sign with a flame motif means what? This is where the fire equipment is? This area contains flammable materials? Recipe for disaster.

The whole reason for green signs over red is that the color red, as you mentioned, conveys danger, whereas green conveys safety. You should read that article I linked to before. It's an interesting read. Especially interesting is that two separate teams in Russia and Japan came up with very similar icons. The ISO chose the Japanese symbol.
There is also the issue of different colours as perceived by colour-blind people, who are 12%-20% (depending on whose figures you believe) of the population.
It's been a while since I've worked with a colour-blind person, but I think that red and green appear to them as greyish-yellow, so they aren't able to easily distinguish between these two common colours.
This would be quite a problem if they need to know -quickly- whether an exit they are looking at is for regular use or emergency use, although in an emergency whatever exit is closest is probably the best one to use.

I found a web-page to see if you're colour-blind:
http://www.colour-blindness.com/colo...r-test-plates/

(this page is not meant to be a substitute for proper eye testing by a doctor)

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Why not colour-code them, in that case? Green for a normal exit; red or orange (with a flame motif) for an emergency exit. The first with someone "walking" normally, the second with someone in a "running" position.

Colour-coding is often very effective. People associate green with safety, red with danger, orange for an alert or emergency, and so forth.
Unless there is a colour blind person who can easily confuse red and green

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
There is also the issue of different colours as perceived by colour-blind people, who are 12%-20% (depending on whose figures you believe) of the population.
It's been a while since I've worked with a colour-blind person, but I think that red and green appear to them as greyish-yellow, so they aren't able to easily distinguish between these two common colours.
This would be quite a problem if they need to know -quickly- whether an exit they are looking at is for regular use or emergency use, although in an emergency whatever exit is closest is probably the best one to use.

That is the thing anyone looking for an exit isn't going to care whether it is a regular or emergency. They are just going to take the first exit they see.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 3:58 AM
BANNED

Remind me never to take the skytrain...

Video Link

Stay classy Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkat View Post
Remind me never to take the skytrain...

Stay classy Vancouver
I'm sure as long as you don't wear something like that and annoyingly walk around a pole for no reason there won't be a problem.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 9:02 AM

Watch the full version, she is walking around the pole for over 4 minutes, must have been on drugs or something. And the guy asks her to sit down a couple times before the edited version starts (in much more polite and calm manner, you can hear in the background).

I would have probably done the same thing, she is really nasty and the clomping of her shoes is very irritating.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 1:54 PM

Okay the short skit I can tolerate.

The walking around the pole is slightly annoying

But the fracking clomping shoes would make me want to rip them off her and hit her against the head.

I need to control my anger issues

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:34 PM

Yup, you can ignore her all you want but CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK!

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
Any regular exit usually doubles as an emergency exit during an emergency. However a designated emergency exit is just that and usually not used regularly.

During an emergency people don't care how they get out, they just want to get out. You don't stop and think well gee that is a regular exit and not an emergency exit. So I shouldn't use that exit. No you see an exit and you get out. Whether that exit was designated as a regular exit or an emergency exit.

However the running man symbol seems to imply that it relates to an emergency in some way or another.
We should be keeping signage distinct between wayfinding signage ("this way to the exit") and an actual exit of any kind ("here is an exit").

In an emergency, you are looking for signage that directs you to the nearest exit of any kind. Using the running man at each door - including the normal exit - is fine. Using the same sign (or something that could be confused with it in a dark / smoky / panicked environment) for simple wayfinding would be confusing in an emergency and seems to go against the intent of the design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure