HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Yeah for sure. And good on them for thinking big and going for it. But as long as that clown Betman is in charge, and as long as Saskatoon is well below 500k population, I don't see it happening.

Would Be deadly if it did though!

Who are these "interested parties" with $180 million to buy a franchise and the ability to get the government to build an NHL arena for another $200 million.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:05 AM
Has been

We'll get hit bya fallen Russian satellite before we get an NHL team. I love this town but the numbers just aren't there.

Last edited by circle33; Mar 2, 2012 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 10:20 AM
^^*^^

NHL group 'serious' about team
Report says NHL asked to move team to Saskatoon

By David Hutton And Jeremy Warren, The StarPhoenix
March 2, 2012 2:11 AM

Mayor Don Atchison says an ownership group that approached the National Hockey League about a franchise for Saskatoon is legitimate, but it will be up to the league's board of governors if the proposal goes further.

"They're exceedingly serious, make no bones about that," Atchison said. "But it doesn't matter how serious the ownership group is. We have seen that once before when Mr. (Bill) Hunter bought the team and was ready to move it here.

"It will be up to the NHL what occurs in the end."

Atchison said he can't divulge any information about the ownership group because it "wouldn't be fair to them," but said they have come to the table with a serious plan. [...]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports...#ixzz1nx9gEGpq

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:31 PM
Forget it, Jake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Who are these "interested parties" with $180 million to buy a franchise and the ability to get the government to build an NHL arena for another $200 million.
The only name I've heard is John Graham, a Toronto businessman. I have no idea who he is other than that he's been involved with bringing NHL exhibition games here.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:59 PM

In the first article in the Star Phoenix, they point out that the group supposedly has government support to expand CUC to be NHL-ready. Could they expand the concourses? they're already a fire hazard during concerts and such, I can't imagine how bad they would be with another 3-4000 people packed in. That arena might have been large enough in 1989 to support a team, but it definitely isn't now.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The only name I've heard is John Graham, a Toronto businessman. I have no idea who he is other than that he's been involved with bringing NHL exhibition games here.
And the $200 million would just be to pretty up CUC to close to NHL standards. Everyone else, suchas Edmonton, Calgary and and Quebec are talking about $400-500 million arenas.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:18 PM
Forget it, Jake...

Midtown Plaza's website has the following retailers listed as "Opening Soon":

Aeropostale
Bench
Boathouse
Melanie Lyne
RW & Co.
Town Shoes

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 9:16 PM

Unhappy River Landing Phase Two

Does anyone know what's happening with Nasser and Company and River Landing. Rumors are flying again that funds are not available to make it happen.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 10:13 PM
Forget it, Jake...

Rumours will fly as rumours will.

After Victory Majors received approval from City Council in November for the zoning amendments, they've gone back to refine and finalize the design of the project, which has so far only been shown as a concept. I'm sure we'll see a final design in the Spring, when marketing and sales will likely begin, and momentum will ramp up.

As I've said before, the fact that this project has three tried and tested partners (Victory Majors, Tonko Realty, and Cavalier Enterprises) brings a lot of legitimacy to the project in securing financing and moving forward.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Apple View Post
Does anyone know what's happening with Nasser and Company and River Landing. Rumors are flying again that funds are not available to make it happen.
Have been wondering about this myself, seems like this project was first proposed way back in 2007.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 5:17 PM

While I don't have any doubts that Saskatoon could support a team attendance wise, I just don't think it's a viable market for the NHL, especially for next season as they're suggesting. The CUC would need a lot of work, and fitting 15,000+ a night into that arena with the width of the concourses and the nightmare that is parking at the arena is a scary suggestion.

The NHL wants to be in Quebec City, and I think that's where the Coyotes will end up if they move. It's a proven market that has a decent population, a doable temporary arena and a new arena on the way. Saskatoon has none of those... yet.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 7:37 PM

I'm quite interested to know what kind of reno or expansion could be done at the CUC. I mean widening concourses and somehow adding more seating or nicer luxury boxes would come with an undoubtedly hefty price tag. I wonder what that would cost in comparison to a brand new building? A brand new state-of-the-art building properly located in close proximity to our downtown..... okay I'll stop day dreaming now......

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Apple View Post
I happen to know there are no truth to those rumors. Plans are being finalized, funding is all there, and excavation on the site will commence in a couple months. The buildings will be phased in, with the hotel and office tower completed first.

Echoes has it right.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 6:29 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Another major problem that people keep pointing out with having an NHL team is what will happen to the Saskatoon Blades of the WHL, personally I don't think it will have much difference, the Calgary Hitmen, Edmonton Oil Kings, and Vancouver Giants have been very successful in they're respective cities even with an NHL team to compete with.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:25 AM
Forget it, Jake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I happen to know there are no truth to those rumors. Plans are being finalized, funding is all there, and excavation on the site will commence in a couple months. The buildings will be phased in, with the hotel and office tower completed first.

Echoes has it right.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 1:13 PM
Saskatchewan pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Another major problem that people keep pointing out with having an NHL team is what will happen to the Saskatoon Blades of the WHL, personally I don't think it will have much difference, the Calgary Hitmen, Edmonton Oil Kings, and Vancouver Giants have been very successful in they're respective cities even with an NHL team to compete with.
How do you know that? Those cities all have at least 4X the population of Saskatoon.

EDIT: Further to that, Winnipeg's AHL team had to be relocated when the Jets returned. There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the Blades would have to move if the NHL were to come here any time soon.

Last edited by djforsberg; Mar 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 5:26 PM

River Center

Any further word on who is leasing the top two floors of River Center. My thinking is that it could be Rio Tinto - due to them taking over the Roughrider uranium deposit in northern Sask.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
North Battleford Blades has a nice ring to it

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 11:40 AM
^^*^^

New gallery divides residents
StarPhoenix poll shows half support move

By David Hutton, The StarPhoenix
March 8, 2012

Residents remain divided over the future of Saskatoon's art gallery, according to a public opinion poll commissioned by The StarPhoenix.

The poll, conducted by Insightrix Research, shows half of residents support the construction of the $71-million Remai Art Gallery of Saskatchewan.
The groundbreaking of the gallery is scheduled for early 2013 if the final tender and construction cost is approved by council in late 2012. [...]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/travel...#ixzz1oWaJ9XgY

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:27 PM

OMG...let it go, please! This whole rebuff of the SAG building is getting a bit tiring. We will never get this amount of financial support again from 3 levels of gov't for a landmark building if we nix this opportunity. For a civic contribution of $21 million, we get a $70 million dollar investment! I understand the emotional attachment to the Mendel...I am a frequent visitor, myself. However, with the recently announced support for the Children's Museum in the Mendel building that seems like an excellent fit given the redevelopment plans for Kinsmen Park. This has the potential to be a great family destination area for Saskatoon. So, given the appropriate re-use of the Mendel can we please move on. It was also good to see that the business plan for the SAG also included maintaining free admission. The citizens of Saskatoon need to be a bit more forward thinking....I find it interesting that the younger generation is more supportive of SAG....they are the ones who will benefit most and perhaps their opinion should be weighted heavier?? Let's just build this cultural amenity and support the Children's museum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan