HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 4:56 AM

Activity is picking up on the corner of 15th & McFarland in terms of construction of the former businesses destroyed in the tornado. Does anyone know when the Mattress store and the CVS will begin demolition? It's kind of depressing to see reminders of the event at a main intersection.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:32 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
Activity is picking up on the corner of 15th & McFarland in terms of construction of the former businesses destroyed in the tornado. Does anyone know when the Mattress store and the CVS will begin demolition? It's kind of depressing to see reminders of the event at a main intersection.
I was wondering about the same thing. I think the mattress store and CVS are waiting for the firm zoning regulations. A few weeks ago, it seemed like CVS was gearing up for a renovation. I dunno now though. I don't drive down McFarland much anymore on that side of town.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 5:36 AM

Anyone know the status of Dynasty Park? It was supposed to start construction in 2010, but I have seen no discussion of it online since.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 7:30 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Good question. I see advertisements from time to time, so it seems as if the developer still wants to do it. However, the way things have gone, I don't think it will happen unless the economy just really starts humming soon. Who knows though, maybe the national championship created some more demand for condos near the stadium.

I don't know the official status.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 5:05 AM

DP's website expired. Telltale sign that the development flopped.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 6:05 PM

Tuscaloosa City Council approves two developments for downtown

Quote:
Two downtown developments planned for University Boulevard are on pace to be completed later this year.

Chance Partners, a development company from Atlanta, is planning a mixed residential and retail project on what is current a parking lot across from City Hall.

Bill Wright, owner of Royal Fine Cleaners, is planning to convert the former Berry's Automotive into a drop-off dry cleaning service to replace the one destroyed in the April 27 tornado.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 6:45 PM

This is not a very good headline, there is already a potential buyer for the lot in question.

This article also compiles the latest on-goings in the revitalization of downtown.

Tuscaloosa seeks $1.07M for downtown lot

Quote:
...The council on Tuesday adopted a resolution giving Mayor Walt Maddox the authority to negotiate the sale of the former Fire Station No. 1 site and the adjacent property that once held the Tuscaloosa Police Department.

Connolly Net Lease met the city's minimum bid of $1.07 million.

Kathleen Okrongley, president of Connolly Net Lease, said the company is anxious to complete the sale and enter the Tuscaloosa market.

“We are very excited that the city of Tuscaloosa has accepted our bid for the property at Lurleen Wallace Boulevard and Sixth Street and feel that the downtown area has strong potential for new retail and office space, as well as a need for additional residential units,” Okrongley said. “With the University (of Alabama) growing in a strong direction, and the mayor and his staff focusing on economic development, we feel that the city of Tuscaloosa is a great place to invest our time and business efforts.”

Okrongley declined to name the tenant that Connolly is negotiating with to occupy the main retail component of the project, but she said the current plan calls for the incorporation of two adjacent lots for a total of an almost 2-acre complex that will feature three buildings with a mixture of retail and residential spaces.

“The (city) was clear that the objective is to encourage mixed-use commercial and residential development to enhance the vitality of the downtown area,” she said, “so we intend to honor that objective and believe there is a demand that we can help satisfy with our proposed development.”

Should this happen, it fits in with the plans and predictions of Bill Snowden, the city's director of the Office of Economic Development, for the corridor of University and Lurleen Wallace boulevards.

Late last year, local developer Phil Weaver announced plans to convert two properties he owns into developments with commercial property on the bottom floor and living space above.

In October, Weaver received permission from the City Council to convert the Broad Street Apartments on University Boulevard into a five-story, multi-use complex. Retail and office space would occupy the 7,500 square feet on the bottom floor, and the top floors would house 80 bedrooms in one- and two-bedroom apartment units.

A month later, Weaver went to the City Council again seeking — and, ultimately, receiving — permission to install five loft apartments on the upper floor of the vacant two-story building that most recently housed Fred's discount store next to Mellow Mushroom. The first floor of the building will have space for two commercial tenants.

And earlier this month, the City Council on Tuesday unanimously agreed to sell the parking lot across University Boulevard from City Hall to Chance Partners for $600,000, which was double its appraised value.

Chance Partners plans the development of an 18-unit, 46-bed development. Called The Residences at City Lot, the site will also feature 2,327 square feet of retail space.

This is feeding Snowden's efforts to bring an around-the-clock populace to downtown Tuscaloosa, but doing so will require a certain level of amenities to support the residents.

“Once we get this 24/7 population, you're going to need a grocery store, you're going to need a drugstore, you're going to need everything that, generally, people need to live off of,” Snowden said. “That's how we've been marketing downtown and, so far, it's working to a ‘T.' ”
Looking good so far!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:52 AM

They put up a render of what the condo / retail project will look like across from city hall and I must say it looks like just what downtown Tuscaloosa needs. If I can get a pic of it I'll post it here, it looks to be 3-4 stories and either a light brick or dark khaki colored stucco and integrates into the street really well.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
Anyone know the status of Dynasty Park? It was supposed to start construction in 2010, but I have seen no discussion of it online since.
They still have their signs up over where they are planning on building Dynasty Park, who knows.

What about those "Luxury Condos" right across from the stadium on wallace wade? They've had a sign up there for quite some time. I wonder if they are actually going to build that?
http://jane_agent.nebdev.net/Default...4DD25F9BA64604

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
They put up a render of what the condo / retail project will look like across from city hall and I must say it looks like just what downtown Tuscaloosa needs. If I can get a pic of it I'll post it here, it looks to be 3-4 stories and either a light brick or dark khaki colored stucco and integrates into the street really well.

This is the image of the "Townhomes at Metal Works." According to the caption on the website they will be ready by August 2012 move in. I'll see it when I believe it though.

This is the image of the "Boulevard Lofts" going in across from city hall.

I agree, I like both of these properties. I think both will be a nice fit into downtown. I really like "Boulevard Lofts." They will look very good in that location.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:30 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I think the lofts are perfect. I'd prefer that there was more brick in the facade, but I like the incorporation of balconies. However, I'd like to see a bit more of the type of balconies that downtown Tuscaloosa has started to see more of; you know, the New Orleans/Mobile type balconies.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:03 PM

I believe the Townhomes at Metal Works project is (unsurprisingly) behind schedule. The Jim 'N Nick's Barbeque there was supposed to be completed last August, and I haven't seen any significant construction at the site.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 8:31 PM

Where exactly are the metal works townhomes going to be built?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
I believe the Townhomes at Metal Works project is (unsurprisingly) behind schedule. The Jim 'N Nick's Barbeque there was supposed to be completed last August, and I haven't seen any significant construction at the site.
There always seems to be something going on around there, but its really nothing significant. I read somewhere on this thread that it did get pushed back and its now going to be this upcoming football season before they finish it. I hope they get it done by then, I need to get met some cheesy biscuits. Also, I don't think the townhomes have anything to do with the actual Metal Works construction. I think it's two different projects. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 12:47 AM

The Metal Works development is located on 21st Avenue north of University Blvd and south of Jack Warner Pkwy.

I don't know if the retail development and the condo development are separate - I'm sure the answer's upthread somewhere. The retail development is done, I believe. The old warehouse there has been redeveloped and I think Jim 'N Nick's will be on of the tenants. Or they'll have something free-standing. No idea.

The residential development still has sign advertising that they are leasing for Fall 2012, so I guess they are gonna build it fast or give the leasing-signers some nice dispensation if they build it in time.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:39 PM

Okay, well Jim 'N Nick's is opening at the end of the month, apparently. They completely renovated the interior of the old warehouse, instead of tearing it down and rebuilding anew as I had thought was the original plan.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...20509819?tc=cr

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:19 PM

http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2012...f_beer_op.html

Quote:
n investor opening five World of Beer franchise locations in Alabama said the first could appear in Birmingham by the end of August, now that a lease has been signed.

Rayford Cook, the operations manager and vice president for the company planning the Alabama locations, said a group of eight investors is planning to open three franchise locations in Birmingham and the other two in to-be-determined locations such as Huntsville, Tuscaloosa or Auburn. Along with Cook, another investor is Birmingham businessman Ward Drennen, whose family last year sold its century-old auto dealership in Hoover.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 10:33 PM

As predicted upthread, Jim 'N Nick's opened this week. And a story in the T-News today indicates that both mixed-use development downtown are on schedule to be completed in time for the

Two new student housing developments being built downtown

Quote:
Both student-housing developments are slated to be completed this summer and will be ready for students to move in by August, in time for the start of the University of Alabama's new school year, said Christopher Kritzman, a partner in Chance Properties.

The construction of the buildings at both sites will begin with the next few weeks, he said, and once it starts, the structures should go up quickly. Construction will start on University Lofts first and work on Townhomes at Metal Works will be about two weeks later, Kritzman said.

The Metal Works' construction will start a little later because it is smaller and will take less time to finish, he said. Both developments will be completed about the same time.

The majority of units in both developments have already been pre-leased for the next school year, Kritzman said. Boulevard Lofts is 80 percent pre-leased, and three of the five townhouses at Metal Works are pre-leased.
Both complexes are geared-towards students (they are being leased by the bed it seems). This is the type of student housing that residents welcome, I believe. Not the Woodslands/Lake Tamaha-style complex proposed on Hargrove Rd by Stan Pate. A local civic association publicized the results of an informal poll that indicates that local residents are strongly opposed to most types of student housing in traditional residential areas.

Survey finds low tolerance for college students

Quote:
Among the survey’s details was overwhelming opposition to any kind of student housing within a neighborhood. Of the respondents, 60 percent opposed a single-family home rented to four or fewer students, 78 percent opposed a duplex-style residence with four or fewer students and 83 percent opposed a single apartment complex containing 100 students or fewer.

More than 90 percent of the respondents found any apartment complex containing more than 100 students to be unacceptable.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 4:28 PM

The deal to build a Embassy Suites hotel is basically completed.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...9759?p=1&tc=pg

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
The deal to build a Embassy Suites hotel is basically completed.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...9759?p=1&tc=pg
And now it's taking one step closer to actually beginning! Also, they're going to build student apartments on top of the ABC store downtown??

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...21019842?tc=cr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast