Tiburon is a town in Marin County, on San Francisco Bay. The population is around 9,000.
Tiburon's name comes from the peninsula that it grew on. The peninsula was referred to by the Spanish as "Punta de Tiburon", meaning "Shark Point". Tiburon was founded in 1884 when ferries from San Francisco connected here to the railroad to San Raphael. The railroad brought other industries to the community, such as fish canneries that were located on the waterfront. Tiburon incorporated in 1964.
Boutique Shops on Main Street.
The Tiburon Playhouse, off of Main Street. The parking area in the foreground was once part of a lagoon, where houseboats docked in the winter. Many houseboats from those times have been converted to permanent buildings that form Ark Row.
The old Fleming Rooming House, on Main Street. The house was built in the 1880s and was fixed to pilings at around 1918. The upper rooms were rented out to Northwestern Pacific railroad men.
Old houseboats that form Ark Row, on Main Street. On the right is Blue Ark, built in 1895. Ark Row is a section of Main Street where old houseboats were turned into permanent buildings after the houseboat craze of the 1890s dissipated. Houseboats were used by captains, bohemians, and San Franciscans escaping the city. Houseboats were anchored in the nearby lagoon for winters, which is why they are now permanently located near the lagoon.
The old Bank of Sausalito Building, on Main Street. The structure was built in 1925.
Mixed-use buildings on Main Street.
Businesses on Main Street.
Sam's Anchor Cafe, on Main Street. The restaurant opened up in 1921.
Looking down Main Street, with Sam's Cafe in the center.
Businesses on Main Street. The structures were built in 1921.
Buildings on Main Street.
Businesses on Main Street.
Stores on Main Street.
Looking up Main Street, with Belvedere in the background.
"Coming About", a sculpture at Main Street & Tiburon Boulevard. The sculpture was installed in 2006, and is meant to represent the sails of boats in San Francisco Bay.
The Corinthian Yacht Club, on Eastview Avenue. The clubhouse was built in 1912.
Houses on Eastview Avenue.
The Frank Howard Allen Building, on Tiburon Boulevard.
Residences at Point Tiburon Bayside, along Paradise Drive.
Buildings of the Point Tiburon Plaza, across the lagoon, with the hills of the town in the distance.
The Railroad & Ferry Depot Museum, on Paradise Drive. The terminal was built in 1885 and served the San Francisco & North Pacific Railroad. The structure also served as a ferry terminal.
A wonderful view of San Francisco is offered by Shoreline Park, along Paradise Drive.
Old St. Hilary's Church, on Esperanza Street. The church was built in 1888 and was originally a mission church for the Archdiocese of San Francisco for railroad workers. The church was moved here from Strawberry Point in 1957.
Houses on Centro West Street.
The Camp Reynolds hospital, on Angel Island. The hospital was built in 1904 and was the third hospital built for the camp, located on the eastern part of the island.