HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Yeah because they are basically building a solid concrete square for each floor, look at Hayward's pic below:

Seriously? What an abomination. I thought you had to have a certain amount of natural ventilation in a garage, but they are building a solid wall of concrete on the north side. I wonder if the dumb fucks at AMLI actually believe this is an attractive design or if they are just pretending it is because it's part of their marketing shtick? Luckily this is the only major ugly building under construction in the city right now (discounting LP 2025 and Ritz which are basically done).

Seriously, it's like they've learned from all of LaGrange's mistakes and expanded upon them. Now, instead of just using precast to create the "ye olde illusione", they are taking it a step further and just pouring a complete concrete box and using precast to make it look as if it's not a cold war nuclear holocaust bunker. They are using precast to cover up other concrete, how revolting... This thing is already heinous and it's only on what? Floor 5?
Most of the windows start at Level 5. It took a long time to get the outer wall forms up. Things should pick up, I believe they were hoping for 4 to 5 day cycles going ahead.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 10:50 PM

What is your connection to this project chief? Any additional renderings to the one we have?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 10:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief56 View Post
Most of the windows start at Level 5. It took a long time to get the outer wall forms up. Things should pick up, I believe they were hoping for 4 to 5 day cycles going ahead.
Thanks for your information, I still feel that is completely unacceptable that there would be no windows for 4 floors. What is this? 1975?

Also, thank you for continuing to contribute even though you are clearly personally involved with this project in some way and we are all doing nothing but attacking it. I appreciate that you do not take it as an affront to whatever efforts you have put into this building. Please pass along our comments and regards to whoever chose this terrible design that they might think twice about building concrete bunkers lightly sprinkled in precast again!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 10:53 PM
High above the Gold Coast

Regards to Nowhereman's comment on parking floor ventilation, it can be mechanically exhausted requiring very few openings, if any. Otherwise it's 2 sides open with whatever percent of the perimeter blah, blah, blah....I can't remember.

Are we sure that entry on Hubbard is parking or loading? Can't tell. I do think Clark St was more deserving of that entrance. It would maintain an onbroken pedestrian zone on Hubbard. Clark undergoes a scale shift south of Hubbard, so the docks, garage entry...whatever it is would have less negative impact. Of course this is all contingent on ramp connections to the existing garage. In my previous photos, I took a picture of the garage ceiling. When Greenway was built, they'd knew there would be a rooftop pool at some point.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 2:07 AM

I work with one of the MEP contractors. There are 2 doors on Hubbard....a loading dock and the ramp leading up into the Greenway. There will be commercial on ground level facing Clark St.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 2:15 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Even Presidential Towers deserves some praise, however, for recently creating a more street-friendly atmosphere around a portion of their fortress
It's a bit of a mixed bag, though, since you used to be able to walk through the block at ground level, even as a non-resident, which was nice in the winter. Now only residents are allowed to walk though it.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 3:48 PM
Gayest of dragons

IIRC, didn't a Crain's article a few months ago mention that the Wolf Point, 3 tower design would be released sometime this month? Here's hoping something beautiful comes out of PCP's office

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Here's hoping something beautiful comes out of PCP's office
A bit of an oxymoron... Just kidding, though their stuff is a bit of a mixed bag.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
It's a bit of a mixed bag, though, since you used to be able to walk through the block at ground level, even as a non-resident, which was nice in the winter. Now only residents are allowed to walk though it.
I agree, the best part of Presidential Towers was the atrium and retail arcade, which is gone now. Makes me a bit less enthusiastic over the podium renovation.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:53 PM

I am LOVING this discussion of Highrise Projects. Now, this Tri-State-Milwaukee-Population building - what is address? I haven't seen it. Sounds fascinating.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 4:01 PM
born again cyclist

^good point. i've moved the off-topic discussion to a new thread: Chicago & Milwaukee discussion

now back to chicago highrise projects.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 8:42 PM

I know I never post in this forum. (Cuz I have nothing to offer news-wise). But I have been on here reading for about the past 10 years and I'm only 22...I'm just posting cuz since the boom its been kinda slow, not sure where but Im curious to see if anybody would entertain the idea of like a Chicago trend thread. Discussions could range from where you'd like to see the next supertall to rental, condo, office trends, emerging west loop discussions, nimbyism, etc. I just think it'd be nice to have a separate place to discuss issues we all like and are interested but yet keep the hi-rise/gen dev. threads clean so we can see the real business. No idea where it'd be place but...thoughts? mods?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siunate2324 View Post
I know I never post in this forum. (Cuz I have nothing to offer news-wise). But I have been on here reading for about the past 10 years and I'm only 22...I'm just posting cuz since the boom its been kinda slow, not sure where but Im curious to see if anybody would entertain the idea of like a Chicago trend thread. Discussions could range from where you'd like to see the next supertall to rental, condo, office trends, emerging west loop discussions, nimbyism, etc. I just think it'd be nice to have a separate place to discuss issues we all like and are interested but yet keep the hi-rise/gen dev. threads clean so we can see the real business. No idea where it'd be place but...thoughts? mods?
Is that your polite way of asking people to quit posting their ranting opinions and incessant bitching about parking podiums and strip malls? I will admit, you do have to sort through a lot of uninformative posts to get to the nuts and bolts info on this thread. I'd support anything that would minimize divergent, off topic posts.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 11:31 PM

Tonight

Amli

3 Hotels

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 1:26 AM

hahaha no rgolch but I feel like those topics would surface..occasionally. No but it could be a way of furthering that kind of conversation so instead of people worrying about being off-topic they could embrace it and have a legitimate debate over it, personally I would like to have a better understanding of those issues so I dont see how it could hurt

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Is that your polite way of asking people to quit posting their ranting opinions and incessant bitching about parking podiums and strip malls? I will admit, you do have to sort through a lot of uninformative posts to get to the nuts and bolts info on this thread. I'd support anything that would minimize divergent, off topic posts.
No. The point of a forum is different than a news source. We can discuss our opinions about the Nimby's affect on a particular building or development. However, I would not be averse to the idea of a thread in which we can discuss general ideas and the things that we want to see built, those we don't. Maybe even post some ideas of what things we might want to build if we had the money...
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
No. The point of a forum is different than a news source. We can discuss our opinions about the Nimby's affect on a particular building or development. However, I would not be averse to the idea of a thread in which we can discuss general ideas and the things that we want to see built, those we don't. Maybe even post some ideas of what things we might want to build if we had the money...
Your point is well taken, and for the most part I agree with you. As a matter of fact, I think this particular thread flows pretty well, and I like reading the commentary by a lot of forumer on this thread. The general developments thread, on the other hand, is totally out of control. There are so many junk posts in that thread that, half the time you can't even figure out what the heck people are talking about; that is, unless you follow every post in detail, or put a ton of effort in digging through every mundane post. For the person who just wants to pop in now and again, the general developments thread (and probably the transportation thread) are kind of painful.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Anyone have a map (i.e. google maps overlay) showing were current construction projects are occurring?
You can try phorio.com, although it uses Open Street Map instead of Google. Hit the F4 key to get the map. Construction projects have red icons.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:46 PM

The crane is up at The Habitat Tower and caisson work is complete, according to this article. They've also got a lot of renderings of Habitat that I had never seen.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:29 PM
THAT Guy

Pretty awesome news

According to a Bisnow newsletter, the land at Franklin and Randolph, where the Mercantile Exchange building once stood, is going to be developed into a 1 million square foot office tower designed by Krueck + Sexton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations