HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:17 PM

Marmalade area

New building on the west side (400 W) of West H.S.

By slcgalen at 2012-04-06

Apartment building ajiuO referenced undergoing renovations 400 N 300 W

New restaurant replacing crappy mexican food joint 300 N 300 W

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
I was at the Apple Store at the Gateway yesterday and noticed that the store directly to the north of it is closed (i think it was Loft?). It seems like if they want a bigger store they should just take over that space and expand at the current location.
That's a good idea.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4vok View Post
Brunswick Apartments is currently in the bidding stage for demo and construction.

Brunswick Apartments
245 S. 200 E.

brunswick apartments by H4vok_13, on Flickr
This will go really well with the La Porte Group's project on the State Street side of this block. Any news on when work will begin on that? I think last we heard it was end of April?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
I heard long ago when City Creek was in the design phase that they talked about tearing down the old Marriott and putting a Bloomingdales there.

From there they would have cleared out EVERYTHING on the block between Main & State Street & south of 1st South; leaving just the Walker Building and some of the old small building north of it. Then Place a 30+ Ritiz Carlton Hotel that would take most of the block, like the Grand America
Sorry everyone, I have a sketch of what this was going to be. I'll keep digging to give you an idea of what this was going to be. But the hotel was going to be 35-40 Stories.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Sorry everyone, I have a sketch of what this was going to be. I'll keep digging to give you an idea of what this was going to be. But the hotel was going to be 35-40 Stories.
Cool! I'ld like to see it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:55 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:

Damn, if we ever get a hotel that tall it would be salt lake's new tallest.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 5:54 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

I wish west high would stick with some consistency.

I graduated the year that the main building was closed for renovation... We had to walk back and forth between the new expantion where the old Jim use to be, the old tech building behind the bleachers, and the old horas Mann building.... That school was charming let me tell you

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sock puppet View Post
New restaurant replacing crappy mexican food joint 300 N 300 W

Crappy!?!?!!!!???? That was Molca Salsa: they had the best quesadillas in the valley! Even better than the 33rd S location, which is legendary. Granted, everything else at the DT Molca Salsa wasn't as good, mainly because they didn't melt the cheese on enchiladas and the like, but the quesadillas were enough to keep me happy. Sad to see them go. How many burger places does Salt Lake need?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 6:01 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperdude801 View Post
Crappy!?!?!!!!???? That was Molca Salsa: they had the best quesadillas in the valley! Even better than the 33rd S location, which is legendary. Granted, everything else at the DT Molca Salsa wasn't as good, mainly because they didn't melt the cheese on enchiladas and the like, but the quesadillas were enough to keep me happy. Sad to see them go. How many burger places does Salt Lake need?
I liked it when it was fast food express.. Then it was another hamburger place after that.. Can't remember the name. I think it was originally an arctic circle.. Not the original building though

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 6:06 AM

Has anyone looked up building permits for fashion place lately? They have like six vacant spots on the Dillards side.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 10:23 PM

Last edited by Old&New; Apr 8, 2012 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 3:33 AM

UDOT to invest nearly $4 billion in infrastructure in 2012

(This is a double post from the Utah Transportation Thread)

UDOT announces more than 200 summer road construction projects
Deseret News

Photo by UDOT

SOUTH JORDAN — Motorists traveling east on Daybreak View Parkway past Herriman High School pass signs warning of construction, but Thursday afternoon, only a few construction workers and trucks are visible. Many of the residents at the Timbergate apartment complex across the street weren't even sure what was being built there.

It won't be that way for long.

The site is one of more than 200 projects the Utah Department of Transportation will be working on for the rest of the year, a record in the state. UDOT estimates the projects will cost just under an estimated $4 billion.

The pending work at Daybreak View Parkway near 4800 West will be part of the Mountain View Corridor, which will be two lanes in each direction with signalized intersections that will one day be a fully functional freeway on the far west side of Salt Lake Valley.

Six of the 20 projects are in Salt Lake County, the most of any county. Motorists on I-15 from 10600 South to 600 North will experience lane restrictions, reduced speeds and ramp closures this summer, and in a project titled "Bangerter 2.0," a grade-separated interchange and new pedestrian bridges is being added at 7800 S. and 13400 S.

In Utah County, work will be done on the I-15 from Lehi to Spanish Fork that will expand the freeway by two lanes and replace or restore 63 bridges...

Full Article: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ects.html?pg=1

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 3:53 AM

Just to put that $4 billion into perspective: Utah has 1/13 the population of California yet it will spend 1/3 the amount that California will on road construction projects in 2012. That means that Utah will spend $1,050/person whereas California will only spend $350/person. So Utah`s per-capita construction spending for 2012 will by 3x that of California. The next largest state, Texas, will only spend twice as much as Utah on construction despite having about 10x the population.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 10:50 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Eco)nomy_404 View Post
Just to put that $4 billion into perspective: Utah has 1/13 the population of California yet it will spend 1/3 the amount that California will on road construction projects in 2012. That means that Utah will spend $1,050/person whereas California will only spend $350/person. So Utah`s per-capita construction spending for 2012 will by 3x that of California. The next largest state, Texas, will only spend twice as much as Utah on construction despite having about 10x the population.
This honestly means nothing.

Your sample size is way too short in duration of time and not specific enough to convey useful information.

1. Let's include Federal and State funding of state freeway and highway projects spanning from the Post War era to today (adjusting for inflation and differing labor costs; right to work states, differing seismic needs).

2. Let's take into account the booms of California and Texas and the infrastructure projects that came to respond to those booms (adjusting for inflation and differing labor costs; right to work states; differing seismic needs).

3. Let's take into consideration the percentage of how much of each state is urbanized.

4. Let's compare the state budgets of other states taken into consideration against Utah.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:16 AM

Sorry, I been busy with work. But I did find the sketch for this dead proposed project:

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I been busy with work. But I did find the sketch for this dead proposed project:

Was this really an actual proposal by a company?? because as of now that is the same block where UPAC is slated to go, and before that DesNews hadn't moved yet and was planning on sticking around in that location. Not to mention a few historic buildings on site....plus the text says Marriott at City Creek Center, which only changed its name in the last few months. So when was this even proposed??

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
Was this really an actual proposal by a company?? because as of now that is the same block where UPAC is slated to go, and before that DesNews hadn't moved yet and was planning on sticking around in that location. Not to mention a few historic buildings on site....plus the text says Marriott at City Creek Center, which only changed its name in the last few months. So when was this even proposed??
Yes. From what I understand it was a Marriott/Ritz proposal while City Creek was being built and had the option to buy the block. From what I heard it was considered too 'up scale'. Also, Marriott/Ritz wanted to wait and see what kind of affect City Creek could have once it was up and going.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:27 AM
Roll out the trains!

That's awful! They would recreate the East side of the block, including a replica of the Walker Center on the West side of the block? And it would have a mid-block entrance? Look at the huge footprint as well. I would expect this from Vegas but from Salt lake? All I can say is .

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:34 AM

Um.. where did you find that? I have a hard time believing that's for real.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
That's awful! They would recreate the East side of the block, including a replica of the Walker Center on the West side of the block? And it would have a mid-block entrance? Look at the huge footprint as well. I would expect this from Vegas but from Salt lake? All I can say is .
I second that!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West