HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > SSP: Local Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 2:08 AM

^Nice!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 10:36 PM

That picture is so good I can't imagine how much better it would be without the I-5 bridge.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 12:13 AM

Light rail support mixed in survey

The older you are and the longer you’ve lived in Clackamas County, the less likely you are to have a favorable attitude toward county governance.
That was one of the findings from a new poll that asked 400 Clackamas County residents how they felt about their county government.

The poll by DHM Research was done between Feb. 23 and 27 for $25,000.
Among its findings, there was disagreement about the Clackamas County’s general direction, with 46 percent saying things in the county are headed in the right direction, while 29 percent said the county was going in the wrong direction.

etc, etc, article is followed with usual foaming at the mouth comments and a couple of reasonable ones.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 6:06 PM

Petitions filed in four westside cities seek vote on rail funds

Groups in Tigard, Tualatin, King City and Sherwood want to put issue on September ballot

Pamplin Media Group, Mar 23, 2012

Four initiative petitions were filed Friday in Tigard, Tualatin, King City and Sherwood that could, if approved, force a public vote on financing for any new rail systems in those suburban cities.

The petitions are similar to two filed in Clackamas County and Milwaukie that could require county officials to back off providing funding for a new $1.49 billion light-rail system there.

etc etc

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 7:41 PM

It's so sad to see these people consistently vote against their own self-interest. Just like in Vancouver in the 90's. With gas prices the way they are, you'd think that people would be eager to embrace more transit options, not stymie their development.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 7:53 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I wish we could rethink some of our light rail priorities. If other counties and cities don't want MAX... fine. Let's use the dollars to expand the streetcar instead. We really should be connecting more of our own Portland neighborhoods.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 8:49 PM

[QUOTE]If other counties and cities don't want MAX... fine. Let's use the dollars to expand the streetcar instead. We really should be connecting more of our own Portland neighborhoods./QUOTE]

100%

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 2:46 AM

Harbor Structure in SOWA update from 3-26-2012:

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 5:43 PM
Portland Moderator

TriMet promises new $4.3 million MAX trains will be roomier inside, even if outside looks the same
Published: Friday, April 06, 2012, 4:58 PM Updated: Friday, April 06, 2012, 5:01 PM
By Joseph Rose, The Oregonian

TriMet riders, how are those newer, sleeker MAX trains working for you?

I’m among those who have had plenty of complaints. In 2009, shortly after the Type 4 trains debuted, I wrote about TriMet’s apparent “war on legs.” My measuring-tape tests showed the leg room on the newer models more suited for Hobbits than daily job trekkers.

So, I gave off an audible groan when I read today that TriMet is planning to spend $73.8 million on 18 “Type 5” trains from Siemens using the exact same body design as the Type 4s.

I wasn’t alone. On Twitter, Portland Afoot blogger Michael Anderson tweeted, "Boo hiss.” TriMet Diaries blogger Jeff "Dr. Jeff" Guardalabene retweeted an open "Dear Type 4" letter from December, calling the train "a rolling body cramp, an affront to basic human needs."

But even though the outside of the future trains will come from the same mold, the interior is expected to be roomier. “We’re taking lessons from the Type 4 and applying it to the Type 5,” said TriMet spokeswoman Mary Fetsch. “We will make suggestions on what to change, from the configuration of the operator’s cabin to general rider areas.”

Phew! Good news, especially when you consider that some seats on the Type 4 partially butt up against door frames, giving one leg 8 inches to move and the other a tortuous 4 inches. Huh?

Siemens was one of three companies to bid on the contract, which is expected to be awarded as part of a resolution going before the board this month resolution going before the TriMet board this month (PDF).

The 18 trains are being paid for through the Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail line’s $1.5 billion capital budget.

The federal government is expected to sign off on a final agreement to fund half of the 7.3-mile Orange Line, with TriMet and local governments set to cover the other half. Of course, in Clackamas County, an initiative requiring Clackamas County voter approval before the county pays $25 million to TriMet for the project is on the fall ballot.

According to the purchase resolution, ranked the three companies that submitted bids on a “price score” formula “based on the proposed base contract price plus a weighted price for options.”

Siemen’s proposal, according to the document, received the highest score -- largely because it was $8 million below the project engineer’s estimate. “This Resolution authorizes TriMet to execute a contract with Siemens for the base price amount of $73.8 million, and to execute contract modifications for contingency costs in an amount not to exceed $6.4 million,” the document reads.

A “Buy America” audit reportedly concluded that the Siemens proposal complied with the Federal Transit Administration’s requirements, containing 77 percent American-made components by cost, exceeding the 60 percent minimum required.

A Stadler proposal, by contrast, offered a little more than 70 percent American-made content, while train-maker CAF offered only to exceed the required 60-percent minimum.

The transit geeks over at the Portland Transport blog have more on how contract works, while alluding to their April Fools light-rail joke. (I told you they were geeks.)

The Orange Line is scheduled to open in September 2015. TriMet is currently building a $135 million bridge over the Willamette River for the line. Portlanders should see the bridge’s towers begin to emerge from the water in May.

-- Joseph Rose, Twitter: pdxcommute

TriMet

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting...3_million.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 4:18 PM

A few renderings, from TriMet's site. More here.

OMSI:

Tacoma:

Milwaukie:

More here.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:19 AM

the people in oak grove are going to have to walk along ways to get to the max

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:49 PM

^just curious, why do you say a long way? Oak Grove is only 2 square miles, it can't be that far...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:05 PM

most of oak grove its over a 20 minute walk

but i forgot about the river rd bus

Last edited by dabom; Apr 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:27 AM

Hey folks, do my eyes deceive me, or is that rebar for the pylons for the west tower?

http://trimet.org/pm/construction/bridgecam-ohsu.htm

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:18 AM
PearlHelp.com

I spoke with a Milwaukie resident today. The topic is very sensitive and this person had been very much mislead. She argued the lightrail would clog up McLoughlin Blvd, because it would run down the middle! I was shocked and very much excited to share this is not the case... it seems the town is being polluted with anti-lightrail folks and fake facts. Just pathetic.

After I explained how this is our future transportation, she straight up told me she doesn't care, "I will be dead when we need lightrail." Where's these people's logic? Seriously?!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:50 AM
Rip City Bi+ch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilo Rune 96 View Post
I spoke with a Milwaukie resident today. The topic is very sensitive and this person had been very much mislead. She argued the lightrail would clog up McLoughlin Blvd, because it would run down the middle! I was shocked and very much excited to share this is not the case... it seems the town is being polluted with anti-lightrail folks and fake facts. Just pathetic.

After I explained how this is our future transportation, she straight up told me she doesn't care, "I will be dead when we need lightrail." Where's these people's logic? Seriously?!

The world is better off without people like her...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilo Rune 96 View Post
the town is being polluted with anti-lightrail folks and fake facts. Just pathetic.
You're surprised by this? That's been the right's modus operandi for years.

What is it about old people? Is it just inevitable - does everyone? - just turn into a cold tight asshole who thinks of nothing other than themselves?

Last edited by bvpcvm; Apr 17, 2012 at 7:10 AM. Reason: sp

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 5:54 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
You're surprised by this? That's been the right's modus operandi for years.

What is it about old peole?
It's not just old people. It's... well... it's a surprisingly large slice of the population. People like what they know and they fear change. Fear causes people to do some strange and sometimes awful things.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 3:19 PM

More stuff from Trimet: Public art presentation

Quote:
is that rebar for the pylons for the west tower?
...and a Construction update

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 5:07 PM
Portland Moderator

^I get occasional updates and pictures from their Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/portlandmilwaukie

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > SSP: Local Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure