HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 6:45 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
Planned:

* 20th and Chestnut - 312 units
* Alta CityHouse - 282 units
* 16th and Wewatta - 300 units
* 15th and Little Raven Senior - 200 units
* 22nd and Stout - 78 units
* 1250 Cherokee - 289 units
* 1350 16th Street - 47 units

Total - 1,508 units

GRAND TOTAL - 5,160 units
That's disappointing news on 20th & Chestnut, what in the hell is the holdup with this project?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
That's disappointing news on 20th & Chestnut, what in the hell is the holdup with this project?
Ha, LOL so much for a March 2nd groundbreaking. Who gave us that info anyway?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 3:51 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Little hard to break ground without a building permit. Delays happen...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
"...as economic realities boost city living's appeal."

So, as excited as I am about these trends, just like the rest of us... there is something to lament here also. It's not just that preferences are changing, it's that we are now TOO POOR to afford the suburban model.

My preference would be that Americans choose urban living willingly, but remain economically vital (read: richer than everybody else). Not be forced into more-efficient urban living by Brazilian wages...

But hey, whatever.
Hear! Hear!

Price of oil in real dollars, changing job market (ever smaller number of 'decently paying jobs', more temps), experience with doubling up with relatives, 'friends', and even strangers; romanticism of the small square footage movement, etc. Main point, though, as you point out, is most of us are getting poorer.

More will walk further, live closer together, and, eat less because they must to make ends meet, than they want to from any ecletic idealism. Whether this causes a change in the national health profile, the transportation schema, or even the definition of participatory democracy means little.

People will do what they have to do to keep those wide screens and cutie electronic toys...

Time to start thinking differently

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 9:23 PM
Robotic Construction

By "electronic toys," are you referring to actual "toys," or are you talking about the variety of powerful "electronic tools?"

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 9:28 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
Hear! Hear!

Price of oil in real dollars, changing job market (ever smaller number of 'decently paying jobs', more temps), experience with doubling up with relatives, 'friends', and even strangers; romanticism of the small square footage movement, etc. Main point, though, as you point out, is most of us are getting poorer.

More will walk further, live closer together, and, eat less because they must to make ends meet, than they want to from any ecletic idealism. Whether this causes a change in the national health profile, the transportation schema, or even the definition of participatory democracy means little.

People will do what they have to do to keep those wide screens and cutie electronic toys...
So what? We could all lose a great deal more wealth and still be better off than most of the world. "We're getting so poor that we have to live in vibrant urban centers like Denver instead of wasting money on gas to drive 2 hours a day" isn't my idea of a lament quite frankly.

It's hard not to judge a book by its cover when all the pages are blank.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 11:30 PM

Does anyone know the current status of the Block 162 proposal? I remember it was bought by Makovsky to be a mixed-use project with hotel and large format retail (possibly an urban Target) along 16th. Someone told me the project is indeed moving forward slowly and that klipp is working on a conceptual design. This is the block between 16th and 15th, Welton and California.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 12:17 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
So what? We could all lose a great deal more wealth and still be better off than most of the world. "We're getting so poor that we have to live in vibrant urban centers like Denver instead of wasting money on gas to drive 2 hours a day" isn't my idea of a lament quite frankly.
Those big dang houses and sprawly suburbs sure do create a lot of jobs though, at least relative to urban development. Efficiency is not all good. And urban building is very much the province of big money players, or as Wizened would call them, the "monied interests." Burbs are easier for the little guys.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:49 AM
of Gnomeregan

What country are we talking about? Every job created in the US now puts a ton of money into the "monied interests" and barely enough money to buy enough fast food to cause adult onset diabetes in the worker and his or her family. Doesn't really matter where the monied interests are sending their workers to work does it?

It's hard not to judge a book by its cover when all the pages are blank.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:11 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Teacher: So kids, today you're each going to tell me what you want to be when you grow up...
Jimmy: I want to be a fireman!
Johnny: I want to be a policeman!
Little Bunty: I want to be a job creator!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:44 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Little Bunty: I want to be a job creator!
Lawyers can't be job creators, it's against the fundamental laws of nature and is no more possible than it would be to violate the law of the conservations of energy.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:18 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Lawyers, the human manifestation of the second law of thermodynamics, eh? Bringers of entropy. Proudly delivering chaos from order since the 5th Century BC.

Little Bunty is going to be much brighter than his father.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:47 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Lawyers, the human manifestation of the second law of thermodynamics, eh? Bringers of entropy. Proudly delivering chaos from order since the 5th Century BC.

Second law? Don't you mean the first principle of the first law in regards to the conservation of energy? Oh wait.... I get it.

Though I don't know if lawyers could be equated with entropy. A lawyer is supposed to interpret the laws of man that provide order to society, so shouldn't the lawyers be considered the guardians and bringers of order, not chaos? The capitalist or the philosopher should be the purveyor of chaos.

BTW, Little Bunty??

Last edited by wong21fr; Apr 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
That explains it. Little Bunty has Daddy issues.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 10:48 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post

BTW, Little Bunty??
Bunt Jr.?

Hypothetical future copy of me... who, inshallah, will be a "job creator," unlike his plebeian father.

If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of "job creator" as a class descriptor. It's so much harder to caricature than "rich." Richie Rich, that's easy. But Johnny Job Creator? Doesn't have the same ring to it. Which leaves our liberal leadership stuck mocking the term itself, and the people who use it, which is much less effective. There's always been some guilt associated with being rich; nobody feels bad about creating jobs, though. It's clever. Also something I hope Bunt Jr. will be. And ruthless.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
In building permit review:

* AMLI Riverfront - 242 units
* 2120 Blake - 160 units
* Cadence - 219 units
* 2300 Walnut - 310 units
* 2785 Speer - 332 units
* 777 Emerson - 38 units
* 2828 Zuni - 105 units
* 1490 Delgany - 285 units
* 19th and Logan - 292 units
* 255 S. Cherokee - 335 units
* South Lincoln Phase 2 - 93 units
Any details on the s. cherokee development? i wonder if this could jumpstart the (re)re-development of broadway marketplace.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:45 AM

i took a bike ride along the newly opened lakewood gulch trail a couple weeks ago to check out the west line progress. this park could really be a crown jewel-

IMG_0801, on Flickr

I wonder how much gentrification this line will bring. there are incredible views of both skyline and mountains but the neighborhood is pretty spotty. these two photos were taken from the same trash strewn location directly across from the perry st station-

photo 1, on Flickr

photo 2, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:51 PM

It looks like Opus may be moving on 1490 Delgany. They have fenced the property and crews were out cleaning up this morning. I asked if demolition was imminent and was told "soon". I have a few additional renders of the building and if I can figure out how to remove them from the .pdf file I'll post them.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:43 PM

Groundbreaking for the IMA Financial (north wing) building at 18th & Wynkoop is this afternoon. I just walked by the tent they set up. Hopefully that means actual work on the building will be happening in the next few weeks starting with excavation for the underground parking.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 8:20 PM

I've also thought that the Lakewood Gulch could evolve into an ENORMOUS asset over time, especially now that it is fully connected to the Platte River greenway. The only major problem is those power lines... and sadly it's probably extremely unlikely they will get moved any time soon. Same goes with the power lines running through Riverfront Park...

The old power substation that sits where Lakewood Gulch intersects the Platte River has been shown as a redevelopment site on some City of Denver Station Area plans that I have seen. If this is true, I wonder if the power lines could ever be re-routed since they both are linked in to that power station.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West